The Student Room Group

Nicolas Sarkozy dodges Cameron's hand shake!

Scroll to see replies

There actually is footage of him shaking hands with Cameron either earlier or later in the day. It's a shame the Daily Mail put non-issues, or even fake issues, on their front page.
Reply 22
Original post by Manitude
That was hardly an attempt at a handshake there from Cameron. I wouldn't read much into this.

Dailymail =/= real news
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I think Sarkozy was childish.

I think he was mad, when people are mad they tend to do childish things... also considering Sarkozy's personality and previous actions this does not surprise me at all.

However I'm more concerned about the following:
Daily Fail
Efforts by Germany and France to persuade all 27 EU countries to agree to treaty changes failed, in large part because of Mr Cameron's refusal to give up some of Britain's powers.

It did not fail at all, 26 European countries are still going ahead with it... without Britain.
Reply 24
John Terry and Wayne Bridge all over again
Reply 25
Original post by iamcharliewalsh
Ze Breeteesh, zey are very, how do you say, errr... disgusteeng. I do not want my hands smelling of ze hamsters and ze elderberreez, please.

:lol: I actually read this out loud with ze accent.
Reply 26
Original post by Retrodiction
Wow, what a leader the French have. An immature crybaby who is essentially donating his country for use as a guinea pig in this experimental eurozone fantasy.

Would rather have that then someone who has sold our entire future down the river to keep his fat cat friends in the city in profit.

I don't blame Sarkozy it's cameron who's behaved like a child.
Reply 27
Couldn't give too hoots what Nicolas Sarkozy thinks. For once Cameron put Britain's best interests FIRST. Can't believe I'm writing this, but Cameron did a good thing.
Reply 28
France crying out for Germany's help - Oh how things change within in Europe. :biggrin:

Gotta love how Cameron is trolling them though.
Reply 29
Original post by eggnchips
Would rather have that then someone who has sold our entire future down the river to keep his fat cat friends in the city in profit.

I don't blame Sarkozy it's cameron who's behaved like a child.

So you are happy for the EU to start regulating the UK's budget? The amount you can borrow, the amount you can spend? You may not like Cameron, you may not even think he won the election as such, but he at least has something of a mandate, which the entirely unelected Herman Van Rompuy and José Manuel Barroso do not have; what authority do they have to be overseeing and regulating the budget decided by your elected politicians?

You don't like Cameron and Osborne, OK, but you have the power to have your say in voting them out next time; what if you don't like the shadowy people the EU select to domineer over your politicians? Tough. They can make all sorts of insane decisions and there's nothing you can do about it. Protect your sovereignty, because when it's gone you can't get it back, as the other unfortunate 26 are about to learn.
(edited 12 years ago)
A rude Frenchmen? I have never heard of the sort.
Cameron is a knob, I hate him.
Reply 32
Original post by Craig_D
So you are happy for the EU to start regulating the UK's budget? The amount you can borrow, the amount you can spend? You may not like Cameron, you may not even think he won the election as such, but he at least has something of a mandate, which the entirely unelected Herman Van Rompuy and José Manuel Barroso do not have; what authority do they have to be overseeing and regulating the budget decided by your elected politicians?

You don't like Cameron and Osborne, OK, but you have the power to have your say in voting them out next time; what if you don't like the shadowy people the EU select to domineer over your politicians? Tough. They can make all sorts of insane decisions and there's nothing you can do about it. Protect your sovereignty, because when it's gone you can't get it back, as the other unfortunate 26 are about to learn.

Sovereignty is a hilariously backwards idea, does it matter to me whether the eu or our own government makes decisions not really. I've lived on the continent my girlfriend is foreign so I dont share your little britain mentality in a 1950s dreamland I'm also from liverpool a city thats had billions from the EU it can do no wrong in my eyes. I'd much rather EU officals who know what they are doing take charge than selfserving idiots like cameron make decisions that affect me.
Reply 33
Sovereignty is a hilariously backwards idea, does it matter to me whether the eu or our own government makes decisions not really. I've lived on the continent my girlfriend is foreign so I dont share your little britain mentality in a 1950s dreamland I'm also from liverpool a city thats had billions from the EU it can do no wrong in my eyes. I'd much rather EU officals who know what they are doing take charge than selfserving idiots like cameron make decisions that affect me.

'Little Britain mentality'? Surely you won't have missed the tricolour. Yes, I live in Britain at present, but I'm an Irish citizen (as well as a British citizen), and have spent part a lot of my life back there. I'm not 'British' as such, and feel partly like a foreigner here, so I'm the last person to have a 'Little Britain' viewpoint.

There is a curious tenancy to disregard people who express reservations about the form of EU government as being petty nationalists, it's a straw-man argument. I like Europe, I'm fully in favour of a union of our countries, free trade, free movement of peoples, it's great; the only thing I'm concerned about is handing over a large portion of governmental powers to an unelected cabal. You say they know what they're doing, I'm yet to see evidence of that. Was the Euro a good idea? Was including Greece a good idea? I don't say any of this as a British person or an Irish person, I say it as a European, who wants the best system of government for all of us.

What also makes you think that the central EU figures aren't self-serving? It seems to be the case that the solution to the EU's problems is always handing more powers to that central body, who really are just taking advantage of the situation. Herman Van Rompuy incidentally gets paid more than Barack Obama, yet at least Obama was elected. There aren't many things I can guarantee you about Cameron, but this is one of them: Cameron has Britain's interests at heart more than any of the central EU figures. He wanted a safeguard against other Eurozone members using EU institutions to undercut the interests of Britain in the single market (which would damage Britain's GDP as a result), and they wouldn't give it to him, so he walked away from the deal. You're going to have a tough job convincing me that Cameron wasn't looking out for the UK there (because Sarkozy sure as hell wasn't). He was right to walk away, and I wish Ireland for one would have too, except Ireland is of course held to ransom by its EU bailout.
Original post by Craig_D
Because Sarkozy sure as hell wasn't.

Why would Sarkozy be looking out for UK interests? :confused:
Reply 35
Original post by tehFrance
Why would Sarkozy be looking out for UK interests? :confused:

Him not agreeing to Cameron's conditions for a start. Cameron wasn't making demands because he didn't want to take powers away from the EU, he just wanted to be involved whilst still retaining certain fiscal powers. He was willing to negotiate and give powers away, just not as many as Merkel and Sarkozy wanted. Wouldn't it have been better to just take what Britain offered than Britain not being involved at all? Sarkozy's attitude seemed to be 'Do everything we say and give us everything we want, or don't be involved at all', a damaging outlook in my opinion, and Cameron was pushed away and ostracised as much as he actually vetoed and walked away. I know you personally are all for Anglo-French relations and that's something I applaud because I am too, as well as with my own country, but Sarkozy seems to have an axe to grind with regards to the UK. Him saying "You have lost a good opportunity to shut up", and so on; he clearly questions why Britain is half in Europe and half out, but fails to realise it is because people like him don't make Britain feel welcome in the EU, and that goes right back to the start of the EU, with de Gaulle twice vetoing Britain's entry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Stupid midget.
Reply 37

Thank Christ that pathetic attitudes like yours are completely and utterely in the minority.

You would be laughed and mocked by most people if you aired those type of anti-British opinions in public.

Cameron has stuck up for his country, against people like yourself who wish to see it handed over the French and Germans.
Reply 38

You mean Elected David Cameron, Unlike un-elected EU officials.

You're a moron
Sarkozy is upset he couldnt force the UK to pay the increased EU budget so they can save the French banks that have leant to Greece

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending