The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Depends on how much money you have.

Macs are marked up because of the customer service, design and branding.

Is that worth the extra price?
Reply 81
I've had my macbook over 3 years, it's never slowed down, broke down, had a virus etc etc, it runs as fast as a brand new windows machine. Before that I had several PC's, all were unusable after 2 years, so the cost is relative. If you pay £300 for a Samsung, don't expect it to last more than 12 months.

Apart from reliability, it's much better functionally. When my charger broke (after 3 years) I went to the Apple store and they gave me a new one for free. FREE. It's worth £70, they didn't ask for a warranty or receipt, they just said "here you go". Now that is cool.

I'll be getting my new Macbook soon, only because I want more RAM and processor power for games, app developing etc. I could upgrade my current one for a lot less, they are always built with the capacity to increase the hardware easily.
Reply 82
So here is my perspective as a gamer and a scientist.

I was a windows user for the longest time, about 15 years. I switched to Macs early in my degree. I currently use both a Macbook Pro and a windows desktop. I think that people are too keen to stratify into Low End users and High end users. Midlevel users are forgotten.

Macs and PCs are very good for Low end users these days...people who want to use their computer for communications and doing their coursework. Platform is down to preference there.

Mid Level users, people who want to run a bit more stuff, maybe a bit of development work are again quite well server by both, but I would lean towards PC on this, just on a cost basis.

For High End user, the Mac is the clear choice. The UNIX underpinnings really give it the edge in interfacing with stuff across networks, using the command line and so on. I find Windows a lot more clunky for this. Plus, like with design disciplines, you are more likely to find software that won't work on Windows than you are to find software that won't work on Macs and Linux (because of their shared heritage). It's really just about the community that is developing all this stuff.

As for Gaming...yep Windows takes it, but then again, I didn't enjoy PC gaming. That's not that it's inherently flawed, but developers know these days that the lucrative markets are the consoles, so games get developed for that with PC as much more of an afterthought.

Consider your discipline, and what everyone else is using. I think that people who are saying that Macs are for low-level users are remarkably ignorant, and will probably eat their words if they find themselves working in science.
Judging from the reputation, Macs really deliver if we're talking performance. I don't own one personally so I don't know about the "is it worth it?" part. :smile:
I need to replace my very old and heavy laptop soon. I study BA graphic design, I am considering getting a mac, the only thing I don't like is the price. I have used windows all my life, everyone keeps saying that its good for for creative artsy graphics/music/media courses but they haven't really given an explanation for this. Anyone?
(edited 12 years ago)
It's almost like getting an alienware but not being a gamer.
Reply 86
Original post by ThisCantBeChanged
I need to replace my very old and heavy laptop soon. I study BA graphic design, I am considering getting a mac, the only thing I don't like is the price. I have used windows all my life, everyone keeps saying that its good for for creative artsy graphics/music/media courses but they haven't really given an explanation for this. Anyone?

Mostly because there used to be some mac-only software, but that barrier has broken down a bit now. Also you used to get a digital audio input in the macbook pros as standard, but not anymore. Realistically you are probably best off spending the money on useful accessories like a Wacom tablet if you are artsy, recording equipment if you are musicy.

Remember you get a hefty discount for being a student. 25% I think.
Reply 87
no
Reply 88
Probably be interesting to do a poll and see if most of the people who are saying no have ever owned one.
Not when some guy started a thread on tsr saying he had dropped his :ahee:
Reply 90
Original post by Jale
Mostly because there used to be some mac-only software, but that barrier has broken down a bit now. Also you used to get a digital audio input in the macbook pros as standard, but not anymore. Realistically you are probably best off spending the money on useful accessories like a Wacom tablet if you are artsy, recording equipment if you are musicy.

Remember you get a hefty discount for being a student. 25% I think.

17%.
Reply 91
Original post by Jale
So here is my perspective as a gamer and a scientist.

I was a windows user for the longest time, about 15 years. I switched to Macs early in my degree. I currently use both a Macbook Pro and a windows desktop. I think that people are too keen to stratify into Low End users and High end users. Midlevel users are forgotten.

Macs and PCs are very good for Low end users these days...people who want to use their computer for communications and doing their coursework. Platform is down to preference there.

Mid Level users, people who want to run a bit more stuff, maybe a bit of development work are again quite well server by both, but I would lean towards PC on this, just on a cost basis.

For High End user, the Mac is the clear choice. The UNIX underpinnings really give it the edge in interfacing with stuff across networks, using the command line and so on. I find Windows a lot more clunky for this. Plus, like with design disciplines, you are more likely to find software that won't work on Windows than you are to find software that won't work on Macs and Linux (because of their shared heritage). It's really just about the community that is developing all this stuff.

As for Gaming...yep Windows takes it, but then again, I didn't enjoy PC gaming. That's not that it's inherently flawed, but developers know these days that the lucrative markets are the consoles, so games get developed for that with PC as much more of an afterthought.

Consider your discipline, and what everyone else is using. I think that people who are saying that Macs are for low-level users are remarkably ignorant, and will probably eat their words if they find themselves working in science.
Windows is junk but I dont think that Windows vs OS X is a fair comparison if youre talking about whether Macs are worth the money; if youre doing anything high end then you'd presumably be using some kind of linux on your PC laptop, and the difference between Ubuntu and OS X is pretty minimal (at least before Gnome/Unity became awful through their failed attempts to copy OS X; the older versions are fine though).

OS X is nicer to use than linux on a laptop imo because of how well the multitouch trackpad integrates with the OS, and the general niceness of Apple interfaces, but functionally the difference is very small (with linux probably being less hassle for several things). I personally love my Air and wouldnt want to go back to linux on a laptop but whether the Mac+OS X is worth the extra £300+ depends on your financial situation.

edit: (Ive said the words "on a laptop" multiple times in this post because I'd probably still choose a linux PC over an Apple OS X machine for a desktop)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by poohat
Windows is junk but I dont think that Windows vs OS X is a fair comparison if youre talking about whether Macs are worth the money; if youre doing anything high end then you'd presumably be using some kind of linux on your PC laptop, and the difference between Ubuntu and OS X is pretty minimal (at least before Gnome/Unity became awful through their failed attempts to copy OS X; the older versions are fine though).

OS X is nicer to use than linux on a laptop imo because of how well the multitouch trackpad integrates with the OS, and the general niceness of Apple interfaces, but functionally the difference is very small (with linux probably being less hassle for several things). I personally love my Air and wouldnt want to go back to linux on a laptop but whether the Mac+OS X is worth the extra £300+ depends on your financial situation.

edit: (Ive said the words "on a laptop" multiple times in this post because I'd probably still choose a linux PC over an Apple OS X machine for a desktop)

Yeah, agreed, Linux is completely substitutable for OS X in this regard, so it should really be Windows vs *Nix systems. I just think that Macs have the edge in not requiring hassle where unnecessary! Macs for me are a breeze to use and maintain.
As a PC user of some 12 years or so, I recently went over to the dark side and got my very first Mac. All I can say is WOW, I wish I'd done it years ago. The difference is like night and day. I've had 5 different laptops over the last dozen years and they all suffered from the same problems - sloooooow response, crashing, screen freeze, overheating, and shocking battery life. I can't tell you the number of hours I wasted every week waiting on an application (Not responding...) whether it was a web browser, Word doc or a spreadsheet. I'm not a heavy graphics user, don't play games on it or anything. I use it mainly for browsing the Web and working on Word and Excel. But I became increasingly frustrated esp with the lack of speed and reliability of every laptop (some would last only 2 years before I had to get another).

Finally I bit the bullet and invested in a Mac, the cheapest one I could find (Macbook Air 11 inch) and I have to say it's incredible. Lightening fast, smooth, and a great battery life. I know its early days and but according to other Mac users, they last for many years and maintain their performance levels.

Yes they are expensive and that's mainly what stopped me getting one. But honestly, they are worth every penny.
Reply 94
They are worth it. You will never look back
Original post by amaturestudent
As a PC user of some 12 years or so, I recently went over to the dark side and got my very first Mac. All I can say is WOW, I wish I'd done it years ago. The difference is like night and day. I've had 5 different laptops over the last dozen years and they all suffered from the same problems - sloooooow response, crashing, screen freeze, overheating, and shocking battery life. I can't tell you the number of hours I wasted every week waiting on an application (Not responding...) whether it was a web browser, Word doc or a spreadsheet. I'm not a heavy graphics user, don't play games on it or anything. I use it mainly for browsing the Web and working on Word and Excel. But I became increasingly frustrated esp with the lack of speed and reliability of every laptop (some would last only 2 years before I had to get another).

Finally I bit the bullet and invested in a Mac, the cheapest one I could find (Macbook Air 11 inch) and I have to say it's incredible. Lightening fast, smooth, and a great battery life. I know its early days and but according to other Mac users, they last for many years and maintain their performance levels.

Yes they are expensive and that's mainly what stopped me getting one. But honestly, they are worth every penny.

How do you find the screen size of the 11"? Isnt it a bit small?

What size were your previous laptops?
Reply 96
I have had my Macbook for 6 years now and still working. However, if your used to Windows then it will take a while to get used to.
Original post by bloomblaze

Original post by bloomblaze
How do you find the screen size of the 11"? Isnt it a bit small?

What size were your previous laptops?

The 11" Air has an excellent screen resolution of 1366x768, which is the standard for most 15" Windows machines, which can make the smaller size more manageable since you can have the same amount of stuff on the screen.
Original post by adam.o.ao
They're definitely worth the buy if you have the budget.:smile:

And for the people saying that you can buy a Windows Laptop for cheaper with better hardware specs, please message me and show me them, I've been searching for weeks for a better spec laptop running Windows than say, the top end MacBook Air, 8GB SDRAM, i7, 128GB SSD for ~£1400.

http://www.portagadgets.com/uk/ASUS-Zenbook-UX31-Ultrabook.html

That's 4GB RAM (god knows why you'd need 8 unless you're planning on super intensive multitasking with massive RAM hogs of applications on your super small laptop), a 1.8GHz quad core i7, 256GB SSD and just as think/sleek as a macbook air.

And by the way I'm not saying you should definitely get this over the Air, just a windows alternative with better specs for cheaper. I personally will probably end up getting an Air or Pro next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
My macbook and mac have lasted the longest out of any of my windows computers, there amazing to use so id say its worth it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending