The Student Room Group

Anti-social doctor?

Well to put it simply, I'm antisocial, an introvert but I'm going to have to be a doctor.
Don't consider this pathetic before you read on...

First of all, I've always wanted to be a physicist/engineer of some sort (a job which is perfect for the kind of person I am)! However, after months of debate within my family, I've been 'destined' to be a doctor. I always said no. I would not accept such a career to the point of which it made me feel sick. However, over the past month my overview has changed a little... I wouldn't mind becoming a doctor and it doesn't even matter because I'm going to have to become one regardless. I'm capable of doing it anyways so that's not the problem.

It's really difficult for my to try and explain what I'm seeking advice for...

Because I understand that doctors generally have to be nice or care, but quite frankly I don't lol so it basically won't work right?

I've always loved the image of being a 'mad scientist.' I did not just agree to working towards being a doctor because of what my family- and my parents in particular want. It's also because of society today and the difficulty of finding work whereas doctors are guaranteed a job and it'd be difficult to find work to do research at a university or something if I were to gain a Ph.D in physics (which is still my dream... after being a doctor lol...) Call me naive but I'll never get married or be with someone (personal reasons) so I have all the time in the world!

Would I better suite being a surgeon of some sort since they do not have to interact as much with the patient... then again, you have to be a normal doctor before you can specialize in such a field so I guess that that aspect cannot be ignored. -sigh-

Please don't judge me but I generally want to know whether it is possible for me to be a doctor with my mind-state and my personality? Can I just pretend? God, I really don't know how this'll work! Because it's essentially stupid isn't it? - A person like me wanting to be doctor... when I don't like being around people that much anyway...

-laughs- I've said this to my parents but they just laugh and tell me that it's a bad mind-state I have (I don't care if they're right - it's the way I am so whatever). And that I'll be fine. Maybe I will... and maybe work is just work and I can pretend and it's just a job and I need to stop being such a fool.

lol

Well that's about it.

--

Is there a such thing as becoming a mad-doctor... I love lab coats! uaahahahaaa! XD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do what you want, not what your parents want.
Original post by OkashiAddict
Well to put it simply, I'm antisocial, an introvert but I'm going to have to be a doctor.

First of all, I've always wanted to be a physicist/engineer of some sort (a job which is perfect for the kind of person I am)! However, after months of debate within my family, I've been 'destined' to be a doctor. I always said no. I would not accept such a career to the point of which it made me feel sick. However, over the past month my overview has changed a little... I wouldn't mind becoming a doctor and it doesn't even matter because I'm going to have to become one regardless. I'm capable of doing it anyways so that's not the problem.

It's really difficult for my to try and explain what I'm seeking advice for...

Because I understand that doctors generally have to be nice or care, but quite frankly I don't lol so it basically won't work right?

I've always loved the image of being a 'mad scientist.' I did not just agree to working towards being a doctor because of what my family- and my parents in particular want. It's also because of society today and the difficulty of finding work whereas doctors are guaranteed a job and it'd be difficult to find work to do research at a university or something if I were to gain a Ph.D in physics (which is still my dream... after being a doctor lol...) Call me naive but I'll never get married or be with someone (personal reasons) so I have all the time in the world!

Would I better suite being a surgeon of some sort since they do not have to interact as much with the patient... then again, you have to be a normal doctor before you can specialize in such a field so I guess that that aspect cannot be ignored. -sigh-

Please don't judge me but I generally want to know whether it is possible for me to be a doctor with my mind-state and my personality? Can I just pretend? God, I really don't know how this'll work! Because it's essentially stupid isn't it? - A person like me wanting to be doctor... when I don't like being around people that much anyway...

-laughs- I've said this to my parents but they just laugh and tell me that it's a bad mind-state I have (I don't care if they're right - it's the way I am so whatever). And that I'll be fine. Maybe I will... and maybe work is just work and I can pretend and it's just a job and I need to stop being such a fool.

lol

Well that's about it.

--

Is there a such thing as becoming a mad-doctor... I love lab coats! uaahahahaaa! XD

You do need to have social skills to become a doctor, because there is so much communication and interpersonal skills involved. To be honest, you need the passion to help people to get through med school. There is no denying that it is a stressful job. Even the likes of surgeons etc talk to patients and multi-disciplinary teams on a daily basis.

I would be assertive and maybe comprise with your parents to do something your passionate about. It isnt necessarily going to make you happy doing what your parents want. I mean you mentioned engineering is a profession that is in demand nowadays and if you like the mad scientist image maybe working in a lab testing samples in hospital would be a fair comprise. Surely its going to make them happy seeing and hearing your happy. I do generally think because people dont comphrend how many different roles are out there, people go for the ones that they know alot about. It sounds like you have given this alot of thought, just consider whether becoming a doctor gives you want you need and complies with your core beliefs. Its going to do more damage to your well being if they are always coming into conflict.
I hope this helps

Also bit confused about why this is in chemistry :/
Reply 3
Please don't become a doctor :colonhash:
Reply 4
why did you post this?
Reply 5
I love the assumption that you're definitely going to become a doctor. Don't get me wrong, OP, we know nothing about your academic profile, but the fact remains that getting into medicine is very, very difficult, even for top candidates with a real passion for medicine.

Anyway, what sort of crazy family do you come from where being a (medical) doctor is the ONLY thing deemed respectable, and having a PhD wouldn't be anywhere near as impressive? :eek3:
Reply 6
I don't think you're pathetic, I think you're a ****.
Surely the admissions people will realise you lack the interpersonal skills needed to be a doctor if you're interviewed?
Reply 8
I was always expected to go into business, as my family has a long-standing corporation which needs successors soon. I always just "pretended," even to myself, that I would indeed love to go there. Just before applying to a university though, I really decided I wanted to do something else - something that really catched my long-term interest. I decided to study philosophy, which was quite a hit to especially my dad. He was upset at first, but when I finally applied and all was settled, he came around and apologized; that he would support me no matter what in the end. His dream of me becomming the grand successor kind of shattered, but in the end I would have to have lived that life for 40-50 years, and as such really figured to follow my heart, as cliché as that may sound. Of course, I don't know the details of your life, but I'd honestly suggest to go for your dream, even if that means moving out and getting a student loan to cover costs. It might just turn out to be different though: I learned that some parents may sometimes turn out more supportive than you originally figured - even if lots of shouting and debate was involved.

Good luck nonetheless - may we work together (philosopher and mad scientist, always a lovely combo!) on some interdisciplinary research project in the future :biggrin:
You are aware that you can't flash a load of A*s at universities and expect them to let you study medicine, right?
Reply 10
Unless this post is a joke, then YES, you CAN become a doctor with minimal patient contact - academic medicine! You can do research and really contribute to the field. (But even that requires some contact with people)

It sounds like you have the passion and capability of becoming a scientist, which IMO, is much harder than being a doctor!

I'm slightly concerned of how you will treat patients when you do acutally have to treat them...! Think hard about it. You can get a B.Sc and PhD in 6 years and run your own lab and getr published articles, but you'll have to wait ALOT longer if you want to get a medical degree first! And have you even thought about your interview or your reference?!

However, you've got to consider if you will actually be able to handle two years in your foundation years at a minimum of actually speaking to people, helping them, listening to them talk TO you....

Oh, I've just seen that you are in year 8! ....I'm sure you will change your mind in the future and will be more confident to make your own decision about your future :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
If this is true, it will come across in interview and you won't get a place at medical school. You need to be passionate or it probably won't go well. So much work and exams won't be do able if you don't want to do it. You need to WANT it.

It's your life, not your parents life. **** it, if they care about you, they will let you do what you want to do with your life.
OP will make a terrible doctor.
Reply 13

this after reading this paragraph, i think you shouldn't become a doctor. at least a little part of your motivation should be wanting to help people. why are you so sure you can do it anyway? it's not only about learning things off by heart from the book, you will also have the clinical part and practical exams and if your social skills are as bad as you say there are than you're not gonna make it i think.

and anyway, first you said "you didn't have a choice because your parents decided it" and then a little bit later you said "it's not just because my parents said i have to be one". i think you're not doing yourself a favour by doing this, even if you become a surgeon you will have to talk to people a lot and during your studies you will see other areas of the profession, it takes some time before you can become a surgeon and well as i said, even then you shouldn't be a total sociopath. i generally think people who work in a hospital should have good social and communication skills
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbf the uni will see through you at the interview stage.
Reply 15
Don't do it.

I'm capable of doing it anyways so that's not the problem.

No. Your attitude towards it is a big problem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
That's what interviews are for... they'll quickly pick up your lack of motivation...
but hey, you're in year 8, you have plenty of time to grow and develop so get lots of wrk exp and see whether you really like it and would be dedicated to the career :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by realm
but hey, you're in year 8

How do you know this? :holmes:

OP's even scarier if they're actually thinking about careers at the age of 12/13 :eek:
Original post by kerily

Original post by kerily
I love the assumption that you're definitely going to become a doctor. Don't get me wrong, OP, we know nothing about your academic profile, but the fact remains that getting into medicine is very, very difficult, even for top candidates with a real passion for medicine.

Anyway, what sort of crazy family do you come from where being a (medical) doctor is the ONLY thing deemed respectable, and having a PhD wouldn't be anywhere near as impressive? :eek3:

A very narrow-minded, annoying one, unfortunately :frown:
Reply 19
It's sounds like you'd like to be like Dr.House lol.

Anyway, why not going to bio-medical research instead since you seem to more of a research person if you want to be part of the healthcare sector?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending