The Student Room Group

A-level choices...

Right so I'm thinking about my A-level choices and wanted some help deciding....here are the subjects I'm considering:

English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography and Psychology.

I'm definitely going to do Biology and Chemistry as I want to be able to do medicine.....some people say you need three sciences but I despise Physics and am not a big fan of maths. Only reason I'm considering maths is because I'm very good at it ( got an A* when i did it early) and a lot of people say I should.
Also I love English Lit and will probably be doing it, it'll give me breadth and I heard uni's like to see that.
Then there's Psychology and Geography. Both I like and both I think will benefit me, I want to be a Psychiatrist so there's where Psychology comes in and I think the physical geography aspects will compliment my science choices.

So now I'm kind of stuck , even if I do five AS's (which I am considering, I'm aware it gives to big advantage but i still might do it) I'll still have one extra. So....advice?

Scroll to see replies

Definitely do Chemistry, Maths and Biology. Then as the 4th AS subject choose the one you think you would enjoy the most. Why do you want to do Medicine if you want to be a Psychiatrist? Also, would you rather do 4 AS subjects or 5? And which subject will you drop (if you are going to drop a subject)?
Reply 2
Psychology is probably better than Geography if you think you want to follow that route - you'll have 3 other pure subjects so don't let anyone tell you that would be a problem. If it turns out you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would then you'll stop yourself going down a career path you don't want to do - and alternatively, it will make up your mind if you do enjoy it.

If you're not a big fan of Maths then don't bother. Usually you only need two sciences for things and you have two. Go for English Lit as it's a respected subject and you love it, which is massively important for motivation.

You can usually swap a subject after a couple of weeks if you find it's not quite right :smile: or as you say, do five (with a possibility of dropping one early on if you find you don't like it/too much).
Original post by Ferrari_1996

Definitely do Chemistry, Maths and Biology. Then as the 4th AS subject choose the one you think you would enjoy the most. Why do you want to do Medicine if you want to be a Psychiatrist? Also, would you rather do 4 AS subjects or 5? And which subject will you drop (if you are going to drop a subject)?

You have to study Medicine to become a Psychiatrist...
Great choice, i'm also hoping to study Medicine in order to become a Psychiatrist! Personally i'd go for the Biology, Chemistry and Psychology as a no brainer. English Lit however is a whole different kettle of fish at A Level as opposed to GCSE, it's largely about linguistics. The processes of how you do the Maths also change at A Level so i'd advise you get a heads up on them both before you make your decision. I'd likely go for the one that you think will get you the best grade for you fourth choice but consider the Uni requirements too.
Reply 5
Why do you want to do Medicine if you want to be a Psychiatrist?

ಠ_ಠ
Reply 6
I'd do Maths because its a respected A-level unlike geography lol and do the subject you would enjoy the most cause I'll be honest, Uni's don't give a **** if you've done physcology and someone else has done english..they just want the applicant who is a better overall candidate. So just do what you think you'll enjoy and get a better grade in.
Reply 7
Please read this booklet.
Reply 8

This made me laugh sooooo much.......... a Psychiatrist is a doctor of mental health.
Original post by Nymthae
Psychology is probably better than Geography if you think you want to follow that route - you'll have 3 other pure subjects so don't let anyone tell you that would be a problem. If it turns out you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would then you'll stop yourself going down a career path you don't want to do - and alternatively, it will make up your mind if you do enjoy it.

If you're not a big fan of Maths then don't bother. Usually you only need two sciences for things and you have two. Go for English Lit as it's a respected subject and you love it, which is massively important for motivation.

You can usually swap a subject after a couple of weeks if you find it's not quite right :smile: or as you say, do five (with a possibility of dropping one early on if you find you don't like it/too much).

Thanks....I hear that 5 AS's are superhard.....but achievable right?
Original post by jayman
I'd do Maths because its a respected A-level unlike geography lol and do the subject you would enjoy the most cause I'll be honest, Uni's don't give a **** if you've done physcology and someone else has done english..they just want the applicant who is a better overall candidate. So just do what you think you'll enjoy and get a better grade in.

Isn't geography a traditional subject too? That was another reason I was considering it.....its more respected than Psychology, unless I got that wrong. And I don't really know how great I am at Eng Lit. I've done alright in class exams but I won't be sitting any proper exams till may....also I heard maths is very different at a-level. I find it easy but not a big motivator.

Great choice, i'm also hoping to study Medicine in order to become a Psychiatrist! Personally i'd go for the Biology, Chemistry and Psychology as a no brainer. English Lit however is a whole different kettle of fish at A Level as opposed to GCSE, it's largely about linguistics. The processes of how you do the Maths also change at A Level so i'd advise you get a heads up on them both before you make your decision. I'd likely go for the one that you think will get you the best grade for you fourth choice but consider the Uni requirements too.

Really? What A levels are/did/going to do? Linguistics? How different is it from GCSE? And if you don't mind me asking how do you know this?
Original post by tommm
Please read this booklet.

I absolutely hate this leaflet.....it really pushes the sciences and is like you must do three for medicene and under values anything non-"facilitating". All I got from them is that apparently geography is "facilitating"
And 5 AS's everyone? Doable?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dannyboy1236

I did five A2s, so did my sister, we carried on with part time jobs and lots of extracurricular stuff and had time spare so yep, doable and not even necessarily too bad... hell of a lot easier if you enjoy the subjects and they compliment eachother (I did sciences and maths). Not worth the effort if you don't have any interest or dislike one of them though...

and I didn't realise you needed medicine to be a psychiatrist. *shrug* Learn something new every day!
Original post by physicsfuntimes
I did five A2s, so did my sister, we carried on with part time jobs and lots of extracurricular stuff and had time spare so yep, doable and not even necessarily too bad... hell of a lot easier if you enjoy the subjects and they compliment eachother (I did sciences and maths). Not worth the effort if you don't have any interest or dislike one of them though...

and I didn't realise you needed medicine to be a psychiatrist. *shrug* Learn something new every day!

May I ask what A2s you and your sister did?

I didn't either till I looked it up....wanted to be a psychologist first but then changed my mind

Oh, and is it likely to get into Medical school with only two science A-levels?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I absolutely hate this leaflet.....it really pushes the sciences and is like you must do three for medicene

No it doesn't. It says that Chemistry and Biology will keep the vast majority open to you.

Also, you can't really disagree with it given that it's written by admissions tutors from some of the country's top universities.
This made me laugh sooooo much.......... a Psychiatrist is a doctor of mental health.

Isn't geography a traditional subject too? That was another reason I was considering it.....its more respected than Psychology, unless I got that wrong. And I don't really know how great I am at Eng Lit. I've done alright in class exams but I won't be sitting any proper exams till may....also I heard maths is very different at a-level. I find it easy but not a big motivator.

Really? What A levels are/did/going to do? Linguistics? How different is it from GCSE? And if you don't mind me asking how do you know this?

I absolutely hate this leaflet.....it really pushes the sciences and is like you must do three for medicene and under values anything non-"facilitating". All I got from them is that apparently geography is "facilitating"

Honestly it's sooo different, i mainly took it cause i loved to write at the time but that ended up being the lesser assignment of the course! I got a B at GCSE then near enough flunked the A Level because for me linguistics were largely monotonous. I ended up putting all my effort into the others i was studying which at the time we're Communication Studies and Film Studies. I later studied Chemistry, Biology and Psychology in an Access course then a Certificate in Public Health. I'm now on a BSc in Occupational Therapy and plan to study Medicine after i graduate. PS, the requirements are immensely different for post-grads so that's always an option for you too x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Starlights23
You have to study Medicine to become a Psychiatrist...

Ok lol. I don't even know what a Psychiatrist is. Oh well. Atleast I made someone laugh. I say you do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (because you love it, and that's important). What's a Psychiatrist?
(edited 12 years ago)
May I ask what A2s you and your sister did?

I didn't either till I looked it up....wanted to be a psychologist first but then changed my mind

Oh, and is it likely to get into Medical school with only two science A-levels?

I know a few people who are doing medicine with two science A levels so they managed, at least. I don't know the stats on whether doing three has much effect on your chances though, I'm afraid.

We both did chemistry, physics, maths and further maths, and I did biology where she did history. We did them at the same time so it probably helped a lot that we could share resources and there was someone to ask for help nice and close during revision periods :smile: and my brother was doing maths and biology too. Family revision teamwork ftw!

But like I said, we didn't exactly dedicate our lives to A levels (ie didn't lock ourselves in rooms and have no social life...) so I think if you have the interest and dedication, you're capable of doing five if you're willing :smile: just need to decide whether it's worth it!
Original post by tommm
No it doesn't. It says that Chemistry and Biology will keep the vast majority open to you.

Also, you can't really disagree with it given that it's written by admissions tutors from some of the country's top universities.

Gonna choose not to comment....
Honestly it's sooo different, i mainly took it cause i loved to write at the time but that ended up being the lesser assignment of the course! I got a B at GCSE then near enough flunked the A Level because for me linguistics were largely monotonous. I ended up putting all my effort into the others i was studying which at the time we're Communication Studies and Film Studies. I later studied Chemistry, Biology and Psychology in an Access course then a Certificate in Public Health. I'm now on a BSc in Occupational Therapy and plan to study Medicine after i graduate. PS, the requirements are immensely different for post-grads so that's always an option for you too x

Isn't it all about reading and studying books/plays/poems then analyzing them? And if I do it post-grad won't it take like really long. From what I hear it takes like 13 years to become a full Psychiatrist ( 5 yrs med school, 2 yrs foundation training, 3 yrs basic psychiatry, 3yrs specialty psychiatry)
Ok lol. I don't even know what a Psychiatrist is. Oh well. Atleast I made someone laugh. I say you do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (because you love it, and that's important). What's a Psychiatrist?

A Psychiatrist is a doctor of mental health. Wouldn't blame you though, not many people know a Psychiatrist is a doctor. And thanks for the A-level advice. Why maths, if I can ask?
Original post by physicsfuntimes
I know a few people who are doing medicine with two science A levels so they managed, at least. I don't know the stats on whether doing three has much effect on your chances though, I'm afraid.

We both did chemistry, physics, maths and further maths, and I did biology where she did history. We did them at the same time so it probably helped a lot that we could share resources and there was someone to ask for help nice and close during revision periods :smile: and my brother was doing maths and biology too. Family revision teamwork ftw!

But like I said, we didn't exactly dedicate our lives to A levels (ie didn't lock ourselves in rooms and have no social life...) so I think if you have the interest and dedication, you're capable of doing five if you're willing :smile: just need to decide whether it's worth it!

The only uni that says it prefers 3 is Cambridge but I wanted to know whether it puts me at a disadvantage at other uni's by taking 2.

Ah, but you did further maths, right? There's a significant overlap with maths then and then that also helps physics and chemistry and biology compliment each other. If I took 5, it wouldn't be further maths, it'd probably be unrelated to my others (it would be either Bio, chem, psy, eng. lit & math or bio, chem, geo, eng. lit & math) So do you think by doing that it'd be too much?
Reply 16

I am in lower sixth, and started the year taking 5 subjects - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths A2 (I took the AS in year 11) and French. I was really confident that I could do it, and still get the A*s that my school expect of me, but by a few weeks ago the pressure was a bit too much. I found that I was getting all of the classwork and homework done, but no revision or extra reading, which means that I would be at a disadvantage when applying to the top universities such as Cambridge. For this reason I decided to drop French.

My advice is to be absolutely sure you can do five subjects and still get amazing grades, and do extra reading about each of them. I want to study Natural Sciences, but especially with studying Medicine you are going to need very detailed knowledge around your course, to prove your interest in the subject.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by alice26
I am in lower sixth, and started the year taking 5 subjects - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths A2 (I took the AS in year 11) and French. I was really confident that I could do it, and still get the A*s that my school expect of me, but by a few weeks ago the pressure was a bit too much. I found that I was getting all of the classwork and homework done, but no revision or extra reading, which means that I would be at a disadvantage when applying to the top universities such as Cambridge. For this reason I decided to drop French.

My advice is to be absolutely sure you can do five subjects and still get amazing grades, and do extra reading about each of them. I want to study Natural Sciences, but especially with studying Medicine you are going to need very detailed knowledge around your course, to prove your interest in the subject.

Good luck :smile:

How many frees did you get? And did you still have any free time on the weekends or was it really busy?

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it and will be taking it. Just out of interest, what does on learn in natural sciences?
Reply 18

English Literature isn't about linguistics at all, that's english language :tongue: English Literature a-level is largely the same as literature gcse.

Also, OP, don't do maths if you don't enjoy it. It's important to enjoy your a-level subjects. Personally I'd do chemistry, biology, psychology and english literature. However you could always start off doing geography as well and then drop a subject if 5 becomes too much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Maths is a highly respected A-Level for anyone wishing to enter employment and you will be working with numbers in Chemistry and maybe in Biology as well but not as much as Chemistry. Example of when you will need Maths in Chemistry is when you are working out the number of moles. Also, Maths is highly recommended for someone who wants to do Medicine at University. Perhaps even a requirement at some Universities. Which University do you want to go to. Look at their website and look at their requirements to do Medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest