The Student Room Group

law firm says you're too old!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all
has anyone out there been turned down for trainee solicitor post 'cause of their age or know any one who has? or does it not matter? ..
I made the 'mistake' (looking back) of joining the HM services first, spent 9 years I've escaped!!..about to do LLB at a top 20 uni (Times) am 33 now..Will the 'big' law firms see experience or age as a negative factor?
Reply 1
Well, i'm not a lawyer or a law student, but i do know competition for jobs in the legal professions is very fierce. Most people fresh out of uni in their early 20s have very little experience of the 'real world' having just finished full time education. I therefore think that slightly older and more experienced people may have a slight advantage.
Reply 2
I think you'll find that most firms wouldn't say you were too old ... I know of quite a few newly qualified sols who are in their 40s so that shouldn't put you off ... they appreciate the life experience, dedication and different perspective that an older student may have from what I have gathered. Think they're more interested in grades and the type of person you are than age
Reply 3
thanks peeps.. there is hope then!
Reply 4
2 trainees in my intake (admittedly some 8 years ago) were ex-Navy, one had come up through the legal exec route.

Don't let age hold you back - many firms will see your experiences to date as an advantage.
Reply 5
Went to a presentation at a top firm last year where a guy who had just left the army to become a trainee did a spot. He said he thought that it actually helped him to come from a services background. He went straight in at trainee level. If youve got good grades I cant see it being a problem.
Reply 6
JJ Jones
Went to a presentation at a top firm last year where a guy who had just left the army to become a trainee did a spot. He said he thought that it actually helped him to come from a services background. He went straight in at trainee level. If youve got good grades I cant see it being a problem.

THats sounds really encouraging cheers folks!..out of interest if he went straight in at trainee level what level did he 'jump' due too his HM experience?

Latest

Trending

Trending