The Student Room Group

Can anyone please help me answer some parts of my Psychology presentation?

I have to do a presentation on Monday in relation to the theories of personality covering these areas

Social learning theory
Type and trait theories
Personal construct therory
Psychoanalytic therory

Now I have wrote about them explaining about what basically each one means, but its asking me to include strengths of weaknesses of each as well as to compare and contrast - Am so so lost here and hours of searching I am still none the wiser!!, really just want to get this passed to be able to relax for crimbo

Can anyone super please help me out, even if its just a little bit of info

Thanks so much! Jamie
Textbooks are a good start...

I think "type" personality means trying to describe a person through dimensions of persoanlity, i.e. extroversion/introversion. There are many ways of doing this, Eyesenck proposed 3 dimensions of personality, Cartell (?) proposed like 12 (?), but modern theorists have converged on the "big five" personality dimensions.
-Limitations: does it really describe personality , surely we're more than just people on a dimensions- where do beliefs/intellect come in?
-Strengths: can predict a lot of differenent behaviour (albeit weakly)
-------------also a nomothetetic theory of personality- encompasses everything.

I THINK trait theories are when somebody creates a personality scale for ONE trait, i.e. "impulsivity", which is then used to predict a certain behaviour.

-Stregnths: can capture other things about personality that the type theories ignore, such as beliefs/political ideology.

-weaknesses: doesn't capture all aspects of personality- although it doesn't try to!
Reply 2
thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest