The Student Room Group

Universities that *don't* like Access to HE applicants?

Hiya, I know this is a fairly negative thread, but I think it might provide some useful information or at least some anecdotal evidence about which universities are particularly cold or lukewarm to the idea of accepting Access applicants. Ever since I joined this forum, it's been good to see that many Russell Group and 1994 group unis are fairly happy to accept the Access to HE diploma and even Oxford/Cambridge have made offers to people doing the qualification, although, just like the A-level students who get accepted into Oxbridge, they're obviously exceptional candidates.

From reading this forum, UCAS and prospectus etc. it seems as if three universities in particular either don't accept the qualification or are very reluctant to accept it, they are:

Imperial College London

London School of Economics

Aston University, Birmingham

ICL say they don't accept Access applicants for most (all?) of their courses, but that's possibly because they're a 'STEM' university and not to mention they're frequently ranked 3rd or 4th behind Oxbridge. Aston do accept the qualification, but from what I've read.. kind of seldom? And the people they do make offers to, they make extortionate conditions to.. which is fairly surprising, and there's a lot of their courses which don't accept it, full stop.

I might be wrong about some of this info, but does anyone have any others to add?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

in my experience, UCL.
Reply 2
Original post by fexysucker
in my experience, UCL.

Well, there's a guy on here that got into UCL for biology, his name is JohnnyTheFox from an Access course and if I recall he was fairly young. I'm not sure how difficult it was for him or if he was exceptional. What course was it?
Reply 3
LSE are happy to accept people from access courses, I know because they accepted me. However every course is massivly oversubscribed, which means there are many people rejected, both from A level and Access courses.
Reply 5
They have changed that recently, as up to a few weeks ago they said they didn't accept Access students. Pretty gutted as I would have applied to them, whether I would have got in is another matter, but I would have applied!
Reply 6
UCL were accepting access students for law when I started researching universities in August.

LSE accept access students, but they prefer A Level maths to level 3 maths modules if you're applying for economics. They'll expect you to pass the (notoriously difficult) entrance examination if you've been away from education for a few years too.
Reply 7
Original post by Soule
They have changed that recently, as up to a few weeks ago they said they didn't accept Access students. Pretty gutted as I would have applied to them, whether I would have got in is another matter, but I would have applied!

To be honest, it depends on what subject you want to study. UCL accept access for Law but not for Psychology. At a guess i'd say the more scientific the course is the less likely they are to accept Access.
Reply 8
Original post by Elle408
To be honest, it depends on what subject you want to study. UCL accept access for Law but not for Psychology. At a guess i'd say the more scientific the course is the less likely they are to accept Access.

I've just checked that out on UCAS, you're right. That's rather strange, because they no longer accept Access for Cell Biology even though they definitely used to. Perhaps they've had a bad experience with former Access students? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I agree with the comments above.

All degree courses require that you have some basic skills such as literacy; they require that you can take notes, write essays etc. Here an access course is a good foundation and mature students often have other qualities which can improve their chances of an offer.

Some courses require that you have specific knowledge, such as mathematics or science subjects. Here the access course is unable to provide you with perhaps specific knowledge in specific areas. The variety of ‘A’ levels on offer will provide this.

So the implication of the question has truth in it. Some departments in universities do not see the value of the access course. However that does not mean that all departments feel the same.

To talk specifically of the LSE, I am doing Government and History, so my Access course provided me with most of what I needed, although I still struggled. Had I chosen to do any of the maths based subjects, my Access course would not have prepared me for the level they work at. I would not have struggled; I would have sunk without trace.

It is not prejudice against Access courses that determines their suitability for judging candidates. It is the experience of how students cope with the demands of their degree courses that shapes whether you are offered a place or not. Access courses do not always cut it.
Reply 10
Original post by Threxy
Hiya, I know this is a fairly negative thread, but I think it might provide some useful information or at least some anecdotal evidence about which universities are particularly cold or lukewarm to the idea of accepting Access applicants. Ever since I joined this forum, it's been good to see that many Russell Group and 1994 group unis are fairly happy to accept the Access to HE diploma and even Oxford/Cambridge have made offers to people doing the qualification, although, just like the A-level students who get accepted into Oxbridge, they're obviously exceptional candidates.

From reading this forum, UCAS and prospectus etc. it seems as if three universities in particular either don't accept the qualification or are very reluctant to accept it, they are:

Imperial College London

London School of Economics

Aston University, Birmingham

ICL say they don't accept Access applicants for most (all?) of their courses, but that's possibly because they're a 'STEM' university and not to mention they're frequently ranked 3rd or 4th behind Oxbridge. Aston do accept the qualification, but from what I've read.. kind of seldom? And the people they do make offers to, they make extortionate conditions to.. which is fairly surprising, and there's a lot of their courses which don't accept it, full stop.

I might be wrong about some of this info, but does anyone have any others to add?

University of Birmingham,most definitely accept an access course. I know a friend, who got accepted onto Law LLB with an access course last year, which woud otherwise accept AAA.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wibble99
I agree with the comments above.

All degree courses require that you have some basic skills such as literacy; they require that you can take notes, write essays etc. Here an access course is a good foundation and mature students often have other qualities which can improve their chances of an offer.

Some courses require that you have specific knowledge, such as mathematics or science subjects. Here the access course is unable to provide you with perhaps specific knowledge in specific areas. The variety of ‘A’ levels on offer will provide this.

So the implication of the question has truth in it. Some departments in universities do not see the value of the access course. However that does not mean that all departments feel the same.

To talk specifically of the LSE, I am doing Government and History, so my Access course provided me with most of what I needed, although I still struggled. Had I chosen to do any of the maths based subjects, my Access course would not have prepared me for the level they work at. I would not have struggled; I would have sunk without trace.

It is not prejudice against Access courses that determines their suitability for judging candidates. It is the experience of how students cope with the demands of their degree courses that shapes whether you are offered a place or not. Access courses do not always cut it.

It also depends on what access course you do.
Reply 12
Original post by Wibble99

After my Cambridge interview yesterday I'm starting to get the same feeling. The history teacher all but told me that I had no breadth of knowledge on the subject and that what I had learnt was basically useless. He has a point, how can six lessons cover the whole of medieval history? He said that just because I had a vague idea of the era didn't prove that I knew what I was talking about. He wasn't even saying it to be arrogant, it was clearly true.

It left me feeling very disillusioned today, kind of, what is the point of doing Access if it's not teaching me enough to be knowledgable on a subject?

To stay on topic, I didn't get the feeling that Warwick and Durham were pro-Access for Law. It was almost like they accepted Access as an afterthought and I'm sure Durham even worded their Access requirements like it was unlikely you'd get a place.
Reply 13
Original post by Elle408
After my Cambridge interview yesterday I'm starting to get the same feeling. The history teacher all but told me that I had no breadth of knowledge on the subject and that what I had learnt was basically useless. He has a point, how can six lessons cover the whole of medieval history? He said that just because I had a vague idea of the era didn't prove that I knew what I was talking about. He wasn't even saying it to be arrogant, it was clearly true.

It left me feeling very disillusioned today, kind of, what is the point of doing Access if it's not teaching me enough to be knowledgable on a subject?

To stay on topic, I didn't get the feeling that Warwick and Durham were pro-Access for Law. It was almost like they accepted Access as an afterthought and I'm sure Durham even worded their Access requirements like it was unlikely you'd get a place.

Its very sad what you have had to go through, but refreshing that you are somewhat philosophical. I have to agree with you entirely though on every aspect that you have highlighted. To which end, I decided to study for OU credits as a means to fulfill entry requirements, all I can say is that I have had 4 replies up to now, and 4 offers! The trouble is that, from this year, the OU is now charging to study on their modules, so its becoming increasingly difficult for Mature students to get into University. It is a shame because, I believe that OU credits are better received by most Universities than Access courses, as you so eloquently pointed out. I do feel for you though.
Reply 14
Original post by Elle408

Hi the history tutor you are referring to is particulary harsh on access students esp. for law. I recall him saying 'we get applicants from US Ivy league graduates, oxford etc & people who've had city careers & blah. how you do feel your access course stacks up agains that? Some of you don't even have GCSEs and you expect us to confirm you suitability for Cambridge just after a 1 yr course? You will have to be a very exceptional access student to beat that competition' (this was during a mature students event) however don't be too discouraged, the ultimate decision lies with the Law DoS not him & HH is about the only mature college that accepts access for law. I gathered from speaking to other attendess that he (MF) has a habit of puttin down access students.
Reply 15
Original post by Elle408

I'm sorry to hear that Elle! Keep your chin up and fingers crossed!

On topic, University of Birmingham does not accept access diplomas for many of its courses.
Reply 16
Original post by ManPowa
University of Birmingham,most definitely accept an access course. I know a friend, who got accepted onto Law LLB with an access course last year, which woud otherwise accept AAA.

Aston University and the University of Birmingham are two completely different universities. lol. Aston is a Plate-Glass uni located in/near the city centre, where as UoB is a Redbrick that's more further out, but they're both highly ranking.

Besides which, I'm not saying Aston doesn't accept them, just that they're clearly lukewarm about it.

Original post by Elle408

I'm sorry it didn't seem to go that well, but seeing the glass half-full here.. you got an interview at Cambridge which means they (as a whole) were obviously interested in your application, this is coming from a uni which rejects thousands of academic high-fliers a year without interview, including public schoolers with bucketfulls of A* grades at GCSE and high A-level predictions, you should be proud to get that far at least and you never know, you might still have a chance...
:smile:

Tbh I think Access might be not as academic as it could be because, 1) it's a one-year course and 2) most people who study it are mature students wanting to go into social work, nursing/OT, other similar careers... not really Oxbridge Lawyers or something. :s-smilie:

Original post by Karm

On topic, University of Birmingham does not accept access diplomas for many of its courses.

Is this on an unofficial basis? And what courses? Because they say for courses like Physics and Engineering (which are obv. highly mathematical), they assess you on an individual basis, and they accept Access for Law applicants...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by NHAY86
The trouble is that, from this year, the OU is now charging to study on their modules, so its becoming increasingly difficult for Mature students to get into University. It is a shame because, I believe that OU credits are better received by most Universities than Access courses.

I think, with some hindsight, OU might have been a better option for me. Access is good in terms of helping mature students to get back in to an academic setting, updating their essay writing skills and research skills, but in terms of actual knowledge learnt on a subject? It is very vague. And A-levels weren't offered anywhere in my area. It is becoming more and more difficult to get in to university as a mature student and I find that inexcusable.

Original post by Orianne
I gathered from speaking to other attendess that he (MF) has a habit of puttin down access students.

Thank you for that, it helps put the whole incident in to perspective I guess! The other two were wonderful and I think that that part of the interview went well, it's just a shame the first thing I heard was to be told that everything I had learnt so far was useless, it kind of flustered me a little for the rest of the interview. I don't see how they can continue to let him assess students who are undertaking Access courses if he despises them so much! It's hardly fair!

Original post by Karm

Thanks Karm, it means a lot!

I have to admit, I was very depressed yesterday, almost to the point where I quit the Access course. It just didn't seem worth the hassle if it was going to paint me in a negative light to the kind of institutions that I want to be considered at. I have also come to terms with the fact that Cambridge is now not going to happen. That way at least if I do get in it'll be a pleasant surprise and if I don't, it won't hit me too hard.

I hope when this review of Access courses happen, they take a lot of this in to account, how badly it can be looked upon, how inadequately it prepares you for the more rigorous and highly subscribed degrees.
Reply 18
Original post by Elle408
Thank you for that, it helps put the whole incident in to perspective I guess! The other two were wonderful and I think that that part of the interview went well, it's just a shame the first thing I heard was to be told that everything I had learnt so far was useless, it kind of flustered me a little for the rest of the interview. I dI have to admit, I was very depressed yesterday, almost to the point where I quit the Access course. It just didn't seem worth the hassle if it was going to paint me in a negative light to the kind of institutions that I want to be considered at. I have also come to terms with the fact that Cambridge is now not going to happen. That way at least if I do get in it'll be a pleasant surprise and if I don't, it won't hit me too hard.

I hope when this review of Access courses happen, they take a lot of this in to account, how badly it can be looked upon, how inadequately it prepares you for the more rigorous and highly subscribed degrees.

What other institutions did you apply to?
Reply 19
Original post by Elle408
I have to admit, I was very depressed yesterday, almost to the point where I quit the Access course. It just didn't seem worth the hassle if it was going to paint me in a negative light to the kind of institutions that I want to be considered at. I have also come to terms with the fact that Cambridge is now not going to happen. That way at least if I do get in it'll be a pleasant surprise and if I don't, it won't hit me too hard.

:hugs: don't be disheartned, HH is the most receptive mature college for access courses, they take access students for law and pps which are 2 of their popular courses so bear that in mind and don't give up hope just yet. You did get called for an interview so your application was favourable to the Law Dos & that's who matters, I know of 2 access students who didn't an invite this cycle. In your case you were just unlucky to get to be doing a subject which falls under the history tutor's specialty & he would have been all the more curious to find out what your course covered. I doubt they're would be many law access students doing modules in ancient history as most tend to follow the law stream instead of humanities. Wish you all the best and don't quit your access course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending