The Student Room Group

Universities that *don't* like Access to HE applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi!

Thanks for the reply, i already know Imperial and Cambridge are negative.

Really glad you got into UCL for a science course, i want to do computer science so do you think Oxford and UCL will take my application into consideration? I mean now that you gave this positive news i have more faith in UCL.

Perfect then, i hope a week is enough then to get me a reference. I would like to also know about the predicted grades, for UCAS we have to put down something, how is that determined if i started my course a week before the Oxbridge deadline? Do you even recommend applying to Oxford or just be patient and settle in for a non-Oxbridge application but w/the likes of UCL, Durham since these 2 gave me a very positive answer over the phone today.
Aston universities Audiology department xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rian7
Realistically speaking, what are the chances of even be taken into consideration and get interviewed (let alone an offer) by the likes of Oxford, UCL and Durham? I want to transfer to another uni from my current one where i'm doing the course to then progress to year 1 and do CS.

I suggest you mail the universities in question, with details of the qualifications you're taking, and ask their opinion. Certainly we've had enquiries like yours for Oxford in the past ([email protected]), and have encouraged candidates to apply. The MAT and interviews are the most important part of the admissions process for us.

Also, the UCAS application needs a reference, however uni starts in October 1st week, so when/how can i even obtain a reference from someone who barley knows me for 7/10 days that is worth reading and getting shortlisted by unis stated above. I'm really worried about this and think it can be a key factor in my application, at least..

If you've recently left school, you could get somebody from there to write a reference for you.

Gavin
Reply 183
I checked and the uni's apart from Cam and Imperial told me to apply and see. They also told me to email them my course and the details and how it works so they can then email me what will the entry requirements be if i was to apply to them.

Perfect, i'll note this and tell my tutor about it. However if i was to apply to Oxbdridge; how can a later reference come to use when the deadline is long gone?
Reply 184
Original post by gavinlowe
I suggest you mail the universities in question, with details of the qualifications you're taking, and ask their opinion. Certainly we've had enquiries like yours for Oxford in the past ([email protected]), and have encouraged candidates to apply. The MAT and interviews are the most important part of the admissions process for us.

If you've recently left school, you could get somebody from there to write a reference for you.

Gavin

Thanks for the kind reply, i will certainly email Oxford and the other universities and let them know details of my course. I already have a reference with me from my previous school, do you recommend going back and asking for a fresh one for UCAS or ask my university tutor about this. I heard they do give references even if you started university for a week or so.
Original post by Rian7
Thanks for the kind reply, i will certainly email Oxford and the other universities and let them know details of my course. I already have a reference with me from my previous school, do you recommend going back and asking for a fresh one for UCAS or ask my university tutor about this. I heard they do give references even if you started university for a week or so.

It's best to ask your school for a fresh reference, as it's likely to be more up-to-date than the existing one, and they will know more about you than your university tutor (but we'd cope with either).

Gavin
Original post by Rian7
Hi!

Thanks for the reply, i already know Imperial and Cambridge are negative.

Really glad you got into UCL for a science course, i want to do computer science so do you think Oxford and UCL will take my application into consideration? I mean now that you gave this positive news i have more faith in UCL.

Perfect then, i hope a week is enough then to get me a reference. I would like to also know about the predicted grades, for UCAS we have to put down something, how is that determined if i started my course a week before the Oxbridge deadline? Do you even recommend applying to Oxford or just be patient and settle in for a non-Oxbridge application but w/the likes of UCL, Durham since these 2 gave me a very positive answer over the phone today.

I have recently spoken to a Cambridge representative and received a very positive response. They accept access courses on their own merit for non-science based courses and alongside a science based A-level for science based courses...even medicine. Of course they are still very competitive courses, but they have taken on many mature med students over the years.

Don't write them off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending