The Student Room Group

Universities that *don't* like Access to HE applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by irdan
My last point where I pointed out the university was top 10 in it's area was to show that not all ex-poly's etc are 'mediocre' or 'bad'. I agree though regarding your statement about it mainly being the younger students who take a strange view of ex-poly's. Guess I just find it frustrating reading it all the time and the post above was the last one I could read before posting my thoughts lol.

In all honesty I think it's great people are aiming high and wanting to better themselves I just find it offensive or disrespectful when you read comments like "The most prestigious university that anyone else has applied for has been Uni of Manchester and so far they've all been rejected, which is maybe a little telling of what we can hope to achieve from an Access course."

Applicants of all stripes, whether coming from an access course or not, are entitled to feel a sense of achievement getting into a prestigious university, simply because competition for places is strong and consequently standards are high. Attempting to equate a course where the general standard of applicant is, say, CCD at a-level with another taking A*AA students, for example, is ignoring reality.
Reply 81
Original post by Wahala
All firms say this, some true some not so. Even those that use filters tend not to admit it or that they have jumps for applicants from certain elite unis. No they'd never admit that. I do know that S&M & Freshfields don't and do as you say above. The open day I referred to was at CC.

As far as I know the course isn't awarded any UCAS points & yes my friend said this was pointed out very clearly & questioned the CC official how they deal with such applications. The recruitment rep didn’t even really seem to know what an access was & just insisted that xxx UCAS points & 2:1 is required for UK applicants & and then seemed perplexed as to why she was holding the presentation in the first place... as was my mate and a few others who realised what she'd implied. My friend persisted but was hushed down by another CC rep who quickly changed the topic. Apparently the open day was initially scheduled for LLB students but for some reason was opened up to access students at the last minute.

Hmmm, is there any anecdotal evidence about Access students going on work in any of those firms, then? I don't seem to know of anyone on TSR that has because people tend to leave this forum as soon as they finish uni unless they're going for postgrad studies.
Reply 82
Original post by Wahala
All firms say this, some true some not so. Even those that use filters tend not to admit it or that they have jumps for applicants from certain elite unis. No they'd never admit that. I do know that S&M & Freshfields don't and do as you say above. The open day I referred to was at CC.

Original post by Threxy
Hmmm, is there any anecdotal evidence about Access students going on work in any of those firms, then? I don't seem to know of anyone on TSR that has because people tend to leave this forum as soon as they finish uni unless they're going for postgrad studies.

Hopefully I'll be able to get clarification on this from the law firm reps at the not too late for law evening next month; I'll try and press for a referral to someone who'd know if the people attending don't.
Original post by BigV
Surely this is because those ex-poly institutions are now forced to compete with the 'traditional' universities and offer a similar range of subjects to match. Basically they have been forced into being jack of all trades and because of this they have lost their way on a some of the good things they used to do.

It is partly an issue around class/perception too.... becasue as you state, the term 'engineer' is widely associated with wiring plugs, fixing cars or washing machines and as such is seen as a lower class of job. Parents don't want their kids going to a poly and doing engineering, they want them to get a degree from university......

I went to two ex polys and i never thought i was at a disadvantage over those students who went to a proper university but thats me.There is a lot more competation these days of students wanting to go to a well known university for the particular degree they want to do and as a result of this Big V the concerned universities are asking for top grades at AAA in 3 A levels or a DDD profile in a Btech National diploma etc.
Of course they can pick and choose which inidividual applicants rather meet their entry requirements or even will exceed them by the time A level results come out etc

I have notice quite recently how the competation even for particular health degrees have become more stiff and a lot tougher than it was many years ago.By talking to my fellow mature students on our Access courses and what they have particular found out whilst attending various selection events and open days.
Reply 84
Original post by Threxy

Browse through the legal forums on this site. there are positive reports of access students (now at Oxbridge) getting into MC firms. One poster said she got through to the 2nd stage on all her apps bar CC where she failed at first hurdle. There are also threads from people who didn't do too great at A'level but ended up with firsts and 2.1's from top 20 unis asking if they should retake some alevels just so they can get the requested UCAS points for applications :eek: It is very competitive out there.

Original post by gtfo
Hopefully I'll be able to get clarification on this from the law firm reps at the not too late for law evening next month; I'll try and press for a referral to someone who'd know if the people attending don't.

I wanted to attend but it falls within my exam period so some feedback would be appreciated. I'm a bit cynical because I've worked in recruitment and know that there are some things that will never be revealed, firms thrive off seeing high application figures. One a positive note, my mate did say that there were mature trainees, one of the 2011 intakes attended South Bank so provided you have the UCAS points and 2.1 your application will be looked at regardless of where you attended university.

I found this thread helpful in deciding to whether to do access or alevels and chose the latter. The thread did get a bit heated but usefeul points were noted, most overlooked by those arguing in favour of access but I can see on this thread that some have revised their arguments.
Wahala, I would still disagree with the post in the link you've just given. I am just finishing my Access and I was thinking about doing A-levels instead before this a lot.

Currently I have just received all my 5 offers and am thinking which one to choose. Plus the people I've meet on the course - they are just great examples that after Access you can do whatever you want. All you need to do is REALLY want to study a specific thing. I'm all for Access even though I'm just finishing it. I have literally 2 pieces of work to write up and submit and I'm done.

I received brill offers of Aston University which makes me realise that doing Access course was a good choice ;-)
Original post by Wahala
Browse through the legal forums on this site. there are positive reports of access students (now at Oxbridge) getting into MC firms. One poster said she got through to the 2nd stage on all her apps bar CC where she failed at first hurdle. There are also threads from people who didn't do too great at A'level but ended up with firsts and 2.1's from top 20 unis asking if they should retake some alevels just so they can get the requested UCAS points for applications :eek: It is very competitive out there.

I wanted to attend but it falls within my exam period so some feedback would be appreciated. I'm a bit cynical because I've worked in recruitment and know that there are some things that will never be revealed, firms thrive off seeing high application figures. One a positive note, my mate did say that there were mature trainees, one of the 2011 intakes attended South Bank so provided you have the UCAS points and 2.1 your application will be looked at regardless of where you attended university.

I found this thread helpful in deciding to whether to do access or alevels and chose the latter. The thread did get a bit heated but usefeul points were noted, most overlooked by those arguing in favour of access but I can see on this thread that some have revised their arguments.

That thread was completely debunked at the time. Nothing new to see hear. Move on people.
Reply 87
Original post by Wahala

Wow. Yeah. Surely you sometimes need good connections too. I considered Law since I have more of a natural talent for essay-based subjects and I find the subject interesting, but the insane amount of competition to even get on a Law degree at a decent uni as well as to get on training contracts etc. just put me off and there's so many "horror" stories out there of people working hard, getting in debt but still not being able to get their foot in the door.

It's the same with Medicine too, people going for graduate entry (which has more applicants per place than regular entry Medicine) at most unis could go and get a First in a bio, chem or physics degree and have plenty of healthcare work experience, but mediocre/no A-levels and even GCSEs from 7+ years ago rules them out since competition is so fierce.

I read that thread, while I appreciated the point the OP was trying to make, he was... wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by maturestudy
That thread was completely debunked at the time. Nothing new to see hear. Move on people.

Original post by Threxy
I read that thread, while I appreciated the point the OP was trying to make, he was... wrong.

not saying that access can't get you into a top tier uni :rolleyes: u lot are obviously overlooking the posts from those access students (esp sciences) who said it didn't prepare them adequately and they had a lot of catchup to do. But if all you want to do is just get yourself through the front door & start off from behind better you than me.
Reply 89
Original post by Wahala
not saying that access can't get you into a top tier uni :rolleyes: u lot are obviously overlooking the posts from those access students (esp sciences) who said it didn't prepare them adequately and they had a lot of catchup to do. But if all you want to do is just get yourself through the front door & start off from behind better you than me.

There's nobody that has actually denied that, if there was, can you please show me who. Access course isn't the best option for certain subjects (such as those with a high mathematical content such as Engineering or the physical sciences etc), if you think I've overlooked that you've obviously not read some of my posts, but most of what the OP said in that thread was rubbished.
:rolleyes:
Original post by Wahala
yea i've read some of your posts - 19yr old opting to do access. more like lazy git, can't be bothered with alevels (despite opportunities to do so @ ur age), possibly consider them to be too much hard work would rather wait for a year 'thinkin over things' (a year that could be spent doing AS ) & then start access course in 2012 at 20 and finish at 21 & just meet the age cutoff to qualify as mature student. Yay! very smug move. all the best nonetheless :smile:

Quite the contrary, there are a number of 19 year-olds on my course who wish they had done a-levels because they are easier than Access. There is a high workload -we have six to eight assignments to do every six weeks which means we never stop. A common criticism is that our lessons are a lot less structured than a-levels and we're expected do a lot more independent study than their a-level counterparts. I have pointed out to them that the spoon-feeding will stop at university and it is therefore better preparation for them but quite a few of them wish they had taken the 'easy option'.

This surprised me given some a-level students' views on Access :wink:
Original post by el pollo diablo
That would depend on the A Levels. Besides which, how would they know A Levels are easier if they're doing Access? Even if they did A Levels previously they can't have been in relevant subjects for the degree they want to do or they wouldn't be doing Access, so surely they have to reference point?

Just because the work is crammed into a shorter space of time it doesn't mean that A Levels are easier than Access. Higher workload =/= harder content.

I've said this elsewhere before, but for the subject I'm doing in university (a bioscience) there are people who came from Access saying that the first year material is completely going over their head. No one who did A Level seems to be having that problem (myself included). From this I would guess that the Access courses these people did were lighter on relevant material than the A Levels required for the course (chemistry, biology and a third subject, preferably science/maths).

It all depends like you said el pollo diablo however when i was at university,we had a few students drop out of a Psychology degree and these were students who had done decent A level subjects and just didnt seem to cope and there always submitted their work late so go figure.

I think a Access course best prepares you more for University studying than what A levels do.Its okay to revise for and Pass Exams like A levels are however do their really teach you the necessary skills you need like Refrenceing,managing your time etc.

I dont think they do really:tongue:

It also depends upon what you want to do at University or what you need to cover in one year on a Access course.
I do realise that for some degrees like Engineering You couldnt do a Access course unless you had done enough sufficient Maths Access Content at level 3 and gained so many level 3 credits in that particular subject in your Course,so in this particular case A levels would be the alternative.

But saying that there is other Access courses that are well suited for the degrees Access students end up doing and geting into
I also know even Oxford and Cambridge are now taking and accepting Access students than ever before,that was unthinkable many years back as we all Knew only A levels go you into those two Prestiage Universities
Reply 92
1) That would depend on the A Levels. Besides which, how would they know A Levels are easier if they're doing Access? Even if they did A Levels previously they can't have been in relevant subjects for the degree they want to do or they wouldn't be doing Access, so surely they have to reference point?

2) Just because the work is crammed into a shorter space of time it doesn't mean that A Levels are easier than Access. Higher workload =/= harder content.

3) I've said this elsewhere before, but for the subject I'm doing in university (a bioscience) there are people who came from Access saying that the first year material is completely going over their head. No one who did A Level seems to be having that problem (myself included). From this I would guess that the Access courses these people did were lighter on relevant material than the A Levels required for the course (chemistry, biology and a third subject, preferably science/maths).

1) Not necessarily true. They could have relevant A-levels but from many years ago; in general universities like to see evidence of either recent level 3 study or work experience of a similar nature/level to the course. (how they judge work/professional experience I don't know).

2) I agree about the content; it doesn't take a genuis to work out that not as much can be covered in an Access course as can be done over 2 years in an A-level or BTEC. However, I would argue the Access course is harder from a stresss and practical point of view.... doing eveything in a rush makes it very hard and you really have to study full time to get top grades. I think there is probably more breathing space with the alternatives.

3) Again, I agree it doesn't really prepare students for many Science subjects. Now I'm at Uni I would like to switch course, but the only way to achieve it is to do a foundation year because the Access qualification doesn't meet any of the prerequisites required.

When I look back at my course (Access to Computing) and I compare the contents to what the Computer Science students are doing at Uni, I realise that the course has limited use..... nowhere near enough maths, only a tiny bit of programming and a hell of a lot of time spent doing 'advanced' word or study skills.

At my uni they have a module dedicated to basic computing and study skills; they teach you pretty much the equivalent to the Access contents in one semester. However, they don't have basic maths module which teaches you all the higher level GCSE material that was not included in the Access 'GCSE equivalence'..... and they don't teach you all the AS and A-level stuff that was not included in the 'level 3' maths credits.

I bet at most uni's it is the same... they will teach you how to write and present a lab report or how to do referencing, and the library will be packed full of study resources giving advice on things like time management..................But if you don't know the basics of chemistry because it wasn't included in the Access syllabus you are screwed. It is a lot easier to catch up on the 'valuable transferable skills' the Access course claims to give than it is to catch up with the harder subject specific stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
imo this discussion regards A level v Access is moot. Access is a vocational course that is vocationally led. it provides just enuff academia if u are going into a career like SW, for example (as i am).

i firmly believe that if u wanted to go read a science based degree, or indeed a classics degree at a redbrick...generally speaking (there will always be exceptions) an Access student would struggle, where an A level student probably wouldn't.

the only thing an Access course does is provide evidence to both uni's and oneself that confirms or belies potential ability that may or may not be borne out at uni.

have to be honest. at school, my teachers said i had the ability for oxbridge if i stopped messing about and worked. sadly i never did and now i have left it too late to read the sorta degree i wanted to read. today i am vocationally driven as well, and on my Access course i am sat amongst students that can barely string a coherent sentence together, certainly struggle with writing academically and incredibly, more often than not, don't seem to understand the material.

i'm not saying any of this to be big headed but to demonstrate a point regards access. my tutor says i have the highest level of understanding in my class. also says that the last time she had someone of my ability was 3 years ago. the point to mentioning this is as follows. i find what we do incredibly easy. where i struggle is crap time management and laziness due to boredom (sometimes) - i think this is because i'm on an access course. possibly, were i doing A levels. i'd be more stretched. ie, access is only challenging regards workload, not academically.

this is just my personal findings an view, mind. and i may well be incorrect. it's just to me, access is NOT as academic or as demanding as A levels. however it cannot be beaten as a foundation for vocationally led degree programmes and we have the advantage over any A level counterparts. again imo :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ashtoreth
imo this discussion regards A level v Access is moot. Access is a vocational course that is vocationally led. it provides just enuff academia if u are going into a career like SW, for example (as i am).

i firmly believe that if u wanted to go read a science based degree, or indeed a classics degree at a redbrick...generally speaking (there will always be exceptions) an Access student would struggle, where an A level student probably wouldn't.

the only thing an Access course does is provide evidence to both uni's and oneself that confirms or belies potential ability that may or may not be borne out at uni.

have to be honest. at school, my teachers said i had the ability for oxbridge if i stopped messing about and worked. sadly i never did and now i have left it too late to read the sorta degree i wanted to read. today i am vocationally driven as well, and on my Access course i am sat amongst students that can barely string a coherent sentence together, certainly struggle with writing academically and incredibly, more often than not, don't seem to understand the material.

i'm not saying any of this to be big headed but to demonstrate a point regards access. my tutor says i have the highest level of understanding in my class. also says that the last time she had someone of my ability was 3 years ago. the point to mentioning this is as follows. i find what we do incredibly easy. where i struggle is crap time management and laziness due to boredom (sometimes) - i think this is because i'm on an access course. possibly, were i doing A levels. i'd be more stretched. ie, access is only challenging regards workload, not academically.

this is just my personal findings an view, mind. and i may well be incorrect. it's just to me, access is NOT as academic or as demanding as A levels. however it cannot be beaten as a foundation for vocationally led degree programmes and we have the advantage over any A level counterparts. again imo :smile:

Each to his own ashtoreth i dont struggle on some parts of my Access diploma either:tongue:,the only parts i do tend to struggle is Maths and Science.
Mainly because Maths has never been a subject,that i have never liked doing, but i do know you require it for almost everything in life and Science, well i dont know what the said lecturer wants some of the times, so i just do enough to cover everything thats asked of me to successfully pass the assignment.

I already in the habit of "complex referencing " or to term the words used by one of my lecturers " never seen such excellent referencing like that for a long time" and other words to that effect
I am surprised most of my Access classmates cant even reference as well as i can at this particular point in our course as you defiantely expected to do so when u start university
They wouldnt spoon freed you either,they will just expect that by the time you go to university you are already aware of, how to reference which i have that advantage over my fellow classmates

I am also not saying all this to be big headed either.Each particular assignment we get given out is marked accordingely as set out on the Exam boards instructions/guidelines
(edited 12 years ago)
I think Access students are more likely to stick out any teething problems at university because they're more likely to be older than A Level students and have given up more to get there. Many A Level students have yet to live in the working world and so don't really have experience of the other side of the coin, so to speak. I know that for me, not wanting to find myself in another dead end job is a huge motivating factor. During my first degree the idea of working seemed like a wonderful escape after a lifetime of education. I doubt it has much (if anything) to do with whether they did Access or A Levels to get there. Not to mention that a higher proportion of students on most degree courses are A Level students so there's more of a chance of a dropout being someone who did A Levels to get there.

As has been pointed out before, referencing is specific to each university department. During my first degree I had to provide references with numerical footnotes. In my current degree I reference within the text. Both systems I've used are incredibly easy and straightforward to understand so knowing one system beforehand is hardly a significant advantage. A Level students learn time management skills too in order to deal with the different coursework due dates, and plenty of them work part time on top of studying.

That said, I have no problem with Access and Access students. They provide many people with a gateway back into education, and I'm all for that.

el polio diablio maybe you right about the time management arguement regarding A level students however like you mentioned about referencing at University we tend to stick to hardvard style of referencing when i was doing my degree.We actually had a class on how to reference once as part of extra support for those undergraduates who simply couldnt reference and didnt know how to go about it.
I dont know if this type of support still exists as its a few years since i left university.
But i still think that Access students bring more motivation and hence commitment into university,than what A level students seem to do.Because like you said there have been out in the world of work and have sacriface lots of things to get to University (ie Access students)whereas A level students really havnt got much life experience at 18 or even 19 years of age.
All they have know is so many years in education taking exam after exam etc.They might have taken part in the duke of edinburgh awards possiable and done other leisure activities etc but life experience is nil
compared to a mature student of 30-40 years of age whos had a family,brought his/her kids up,worked for so many years etc
Original post by wizardtop
Each to his own ashtoreth i dont struggle on some parts of my Access diploma either:tongue:,the only parts i do tend to struggle is Maths and Science.
Mainly because Maths has never been a subject,that i have never liked doing, but i do know you require it for almost everything in life and Science, well i dont know what the said lecturer wants some of the times, so i just do enough to cover everything thats asked of me to successfully pass the assignment.

I already in the habit of "complex referencing " or to term the words used by one of my lecturers " never seen such excellent referencing like that for a long time" and other words to that effect
I am surprised most of my Access classmates cant even reference as well as i can at this particular point in our course as you defiantely expected to do so when u start university
They wouldnt spoon freed you either,they will just expect that by the time you go to university you are already aware of, how to reference which i have that advantage over my fellow classmates

I am also not saying all this to be big headed either.Each particular assignment we get given out is marked accordingely as set out on the Exam boards instructions/guidelines

lost in translation, wizard! that's what happens when u rush:biggrin:

what i was trying to say (badly) is that i'm in agreement that Access does not prepare u for the traditional degrees at uni, just the vocational ones.

which is why in my view, access students have more catch up to do on traditional degrees but, where they come into their own on vocational ones...due to commitment etc.

what i was also trying to say (very badly lol) is that i'm not that smart but it comes to something when i am considered so by my tutors. i've been out the classroom nearly 2 decades. had forgotten how to write essays etc. hence the reason i mentioned how i'm doing just now. it's surprised ME more than anyone else. this is why i am suggesting that as an academic programme, it's not as demanding as A Levels.
but again, that could just be my mistaken take on the situ.

:smile:
Reply 97
How are you guys defining vocational and traditional subjects?

I would have thought Access courses are reasonably good for traditional arts / social science subjects, as they maybe don't require a massive amount of background knowledge? If you have ability, can read/write you are in business. I think where it comes unstuck is with the so-called S.T.E.M subjects, which generally do require some specific background knowledge.

I'm not entirely sure how Access vs A-levels would stack up for a vocational course like Nursing or Radiography..... but I cannot see how Access would be significantly better, although the students may be more dedicated purely because of age/experience.

A lot is being made of learning to reference, time manage, research and so on..... but just to reiterate, in my experience, this is all covered at Uni anyway. I have had three lectures dedicated to referencing alone and a couple more purely on researching, covering things like how to get the most from the library catalog and online journals, how to distinguish between excellent/good/average/bad information sources, and so on. (ironically I just referenced wikipedia in the previous paragraph).

It is also worth noting that although departments claims to use standard Harvard, Numeric or whatever, they generally seem to add their own slight qwirks, meaning you have to learn it all from scratch anyway.... very annoying!

I'm not meaning to do the Access course down (I did one ffs!), it is just people need to have their eyes open as to what it does and does not do.
Reply 98
Original post by Wahala
yea i've read some of your posts - 19yr old opting to do access. more like lazy git, can't be bothered with alevels (despite opportunities to do so @ ur age), possibly consider them to be too much hard work would rather wait for a year 'thinkin over things' (a year that could be spent doing AS ) & then start access course in 2012 at 20 and finish at 21 & just meet the age cutoff to qualify as mature student. Yay! very smug move. all the best nonetheless :smile:

Eh, I'll humour you. Soo.. even if I am a "lazy git" and that is exactly my "plan", what of it? If I get to where I want to eventually, then that's all that really matters imo. If it doesn't, then I can reassess my goals at a later date. I struggle to see why any of this is of your concern, whatever happens or why you felt to make a personal dig about it.
Original post by ashtoreth
lost in translation, wizard! that's what happens when u rush:biggrin:

what i was trying to say (badly) is that i'm in agreement that Access does not prepare u for the traditional degrees at uni, just the vocational ones.

which is why in my view, access students have more catch up to do on traditional degrees but, where they come into their own on vocational ones...due to commitment etc.

what i was also trying to say (very badly lol) is that i'm not that smart but it comes to something when i am considered so by my tutors. i've been out the classroom nearly 2 decades. had forgotten how to write essays etc. hence the reason i mentioned how i'm doing just now. it's surprised ME more than anyone else. this is why i am suggesting that as an academic programme, it's not as demanding as A Levels.
but again, that could just be my mistaken take on the situ.

:smile:

I think a Access course does prepare you more for a degree than what A levels do ashtoreth :tongue: and you wont get me to change my mind over this either
I heard of loads of successful stories concerning Access students who got into a wide range of degree courses from Law,History,Biology,Chemistry,
Pharmacy,the list goes on and on.
I think that if i ever do get a place this year that i will be better prepared for university this time around.I wasnt the last time i went and chose a degree which now i think about it wasnt the type of degree i should have done.I should have done something subjectwise that was of more interest
wonder where i be now :rolleyes: anyway thats in the past.
Its time to get as many Merits as i can and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending