The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science placement

Hey I have a placement interview for biomed this week, and i know i've left this question late but i've only recently started to have doubts

All this time i've wanted to choose microbiology as a discipline, however i've recently realised that i really really like immunology
(immunology isn't a separate discipline by the way)
Although microbiology does relate to immunology quite a lot, does anyone reckon that i should choose haematology instead? Seeing as immunology relates to haematology as well

Any help on this would be appreciated SO MUCH!
Original post by xxxpenguinnnxxx
Hey I have a placement interview for biomed this week, and i know i've left this question late but i've only recently started to have doubts

All this time i've wanted to choose microbiology as a discipline, however i've recently realised that i really really like immunology
(immunology isn't a separate discipline by the way)
Although microbiology does relate to immunology quite a lot, does anyone reckon that i should choose haematology instead? Seeing as immunology relates to haematology as well

Any help on this would be appreciated SO MUCH!

Hey I'm currently on placement and chose haematology, I'm biased though as I don't like micro.
The is a immuno lab within my Haem lab, very interesting stuff, they mainly test for antinuclear antibodies and some allergy testing (which is interesting especially when there are request cards for allergies to kebabs and newspaper print!!!!)
Choose carefully, a year is a long time and you want to get the best portfolio you can, and Whether or not you are interested in your discipline will effect it!
Original post by Jack7Richards
Hey I'm currently on placement and chose haematology, I'm biased though as I don't like micro.
The is a immuno lab within my Haem lab, very interesting stuff, they mainly test for antinuclear antibodies and some allergy testing (which is interesting especially when there are request cards for allergies to kebabs and newspaper print!!!!)
Choose carefully, a year is a long time and you want to get the best portfolio you can, and Whether or not you are interested in your discipline will effect it!

Wow omg thanks so much for replying! I honestly didn't think anyone would in time; was just hoping for the best lol
But yeah, wow that sounds amazing; I've spoken to a few other people about it tonight and i'm starting to warm towards immunology, and by your description it sounds like haematology does include that
Thing is, we're doing haematology as a module next semester after Christmas; it feels like i don't know enough about it? Had you studied haematology before you chose it as your discipline?
Original post by xxxpenguinnnxxx
Wow omg thanks so much for replying! I honestly didn't think anyone would in time; was just hoping for the best lol
But yeah, wow that sounds amazing; I've spoken to a few other people about it tonight and i'm starting to warm towards immunology, and by your description it sounds like haematology does include that
Thing is, we're doing haematology as a module next semester after Christmas; it feels like i don't know enough about it? Had you studied haematology before you chose it as your discipline?

You'll learn while on placement, seeing the actual application of the science makes it alot easier to remember!

I only had to choose which hospital I wanted to work at, and at the start of placeement spent 2 weeks in each department deciding which one I wanted to go into. I chose blood sciences, so half the year haem and the other half in biochem.

we did haem in the second year so I had some knowledge, but dont worry about that, you'll be surprised how much you learn just working in the lab!
You'll learn while on placement, seeing the actual application of the science makes it alot easier to remember!

I only had to choose which hospital I wanted to work at, and at the start of placeement spent 2 weeks in each department deciding which one I wanted to go into. I chose blood sciences, so half the year haem and the other half in biochem.

we did haem in the second year so I had some knowledge, but dont worry about that, you'll be surprised how much you learn just working in the lab!

Ah wow awesome! We have to choose both department and hospital; they'll try matching us to both of our first choices as much as possible but they can't guarantee it
Ha now i have to somehow pass the interview! D:

Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 5
hi everyone congratz to all those who have managed to get a placement..... i on the other hand am literally annoyed and frustrated because i have graduated and still need a placement in order to finish off and quiet frankly i would be soooooooooooo greatfulll to obtain a place let alone paid! so guys please help me out i need some tips on how i can land myself a trainee position its sooo fierce barely any positions in nhs jobs!!! As much as i love my career i feel like i have signed up for dead end still jobless and paid sooo much debt to get this degree!!!!!!!
Original post by missyjessy
hi everyone congratz to all those who have managed to get a placement..... i on the other hand am literally annoyed and frustrated because i have graduated and still need a placement in order to finish off and quiet frankly i would be soooooooooooo greatfulll to obtain a place let alone paid! so guys please help me out i need some tips on how i can land myself a trainee position its sooo fierce barely any positions in nhs jobs!!! As much as i love my career i feel like i have signed up for dead end still jobless and paid sooo much debt to get this degree!!!!!!!

Ask for an honourary contract in your lab, get as much experience as possible and show how wiling you are. It's hard to get into the NHS!
Reply 7
Hey :smile:

How did you guys find the placements? Do the vacancies go up on the NHS website or did you contact the labs directly?
Also, how early do you have to apply? As i'm considering it from this year summer but still havent got any info for it, hope its not too late!! :frown:
Original post by 2468
Hey :smile:

How did you guys find the placements? Do the vacancies go up on the NHS website or did you contact the labs directly?
Also, how early do you have to apply? As i'm considering it from this year summer but still havent got any info for it, hope its not too late!! :frown:

Placement was part of my course, so it all went through my university. Its pretty much a similar system at all universities with IBMS accredited courses.

Your university will tell you when you need to apply for placement.

Just to be clear, the clinical placement is part of a 4 year sandwich degree in biomedical science.

Re: How did I find placement?
It was great, obtained my IBMS certificate of competence, got paid (depends on uni and funding), have a full calendar year of experience to put on my cv....

There's alot of support on placement, and you need to follow lots of protocol to ensure that your actions wont harm a patient - but as a student you'll never be put in that position.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Placement was part of my course, so it all went through my university. Its pretty much a similar system at all universities with IBMS accredited courses.

Your university will tell you when you need to apply for placement.

Just to be clear, the clinical placement is part of a 4 year sandwich degree in biomedical science.

Re: How did I find placement?
It was great, obtained my IBMS certificate of competence, got paid (depends on uni and funding), have a full calendar year of experience to put on my cv....

There's alot of support on placement, and you need to follow lots of protocol to ensure that your actions wont harm a patient - but as a student you'll never be put in that position.

Oh okay Thank you! :smile: Yeah mines a accredited course too, but havnt been told about placements yet, so i'm probably worrying a bit too early.. :colondollar:

I actually wanted to carry out placement in another city, preferably my hometown, but some hospitals have said they only take students from a uni within that city only :confused: If that makes sense...

Also, was the placement for the full week, like a full time job?

Sorry for lots of questions lol
Original post by 2468
Oh okay Thank you! :smile: Yeah mines a accredited course too, but havnt been told about placements yet, so i'm probably worrying a bit too early.. :colondollar:

I actually wanted to carry out placement in another city, preferably my hometown, but some hospitals have said they only take students from a uni within that city only :confused: If that makes sense...

Also, was the placement for the full week, like a full time job?

Sorry for lots of questions lol

It'll be at whatever IBMS accredited laboratories have agreed to take students from your uni. Yeah it's full time, I worked 9-5 mon-fri and was given time during the week to work on the portfolio.

Good luck.
Any tips for the placement year? Like what skills and techniques/knowledge should we be extra familiar with?
Reply 12
hi ,i m in my 2 year of biomedical and i m looking for a placement in a lab .Any one know where to apply? (london)
Original post by tisabel
hi ,i m in my 2 year of biomedical and i m looking for a placement in a lab .Any one know where to apply? (london)

Please considering creating a new thread instead of posting on dormant threads as per the below rules.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/community-rules

Latest

Trending

Trending