The Student Room Group

Got 99 problems but a bench aint one.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Powerlifter
So close to negging you for having my facebook status from 4 years ago :biggrin:

Tell your physio you want to man up, I've had an op on my ankle and am putting 300odd kilo through it, and its working wonders for it. Agressive physio is the new winning!

One legged 300kg squat? You monster.
Original post by Aisha~~
One legged 300kg squat? You monster.

I have a swole one leg squat - you should see the 300kg dumbbell I use!
Reply 42
Bench 90kg x 5,5,4.6724565. Failed last rep at lockout, same with strict press last session so time to add in tricep work again somewhere.

Light squats

Deadlift 125kg x 5. Mixed grip felt stronger but a bit more awkward. Just takes some getting used to.

Decent on the whole.
Reply 43
More hill sprints tonight but that's the last lot of these I'll do until my term finishes in 2 months and I'm home again (leaving for uni tomorrow).
Reply 44
Decent on the whole, back at uni today.

Strict Press 62.5kg x 5,5,4. Still making progress, when I hit the 3x5 next session I'll go for 3x3 on 65 and work up in reps.

Pendlay Rows 75kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 95kg x 5,5,5. I've become very mirror reliant and my college gym doesn't have a mirror set up in front of the rack so I was finding it hard to gauge depth (hit the safeties a couple of times).
Do 5 x 3 on the press so you are still hitting the same amount of total reps.

Regarding the mirror, you are much better off in the long run without it. I'd love to not have to look into the mirror when I squat, not least because I keep getting distracted by the handsome dude I always see in it i.e. me, but because it affects my eye gaze and also head position too.
Reply 46
Original post by Smack
Do 5 x 3 on the press so you are still hitting the same amount of total reps.

Regarding the mirror, you are much better off in the long run without it. I'd love to not have to look into the mirror when I squat, not least because I keep getting distracted by the handsome dude I always see in it i.e. me, but because it affects my eye gaze and also head position too.

Yeh 5x3 is a good idea, I'll incorporate that then progression will take the form of trying to reach a 3x5. What I've been doing previously is starting with a 3x3 and working up to 3x5.

The problem with the mirrors is that both racks in my home gym are set up in front of one so I don't have a choice.
Reply 47
16/01:

Bench 90kg x 5,5,5!

Deadlift 127.5kg x 5. Used chalk and DOH, felt fine.

CGBP 70kg x 8,10,4. Trying out some different styles hence the weird number of reps.

Nice session, back to previous levels of strength on bench and getting there on deadlift.

Weight: 85.3kg
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
18/01: Still had tricep doms from the session on the 16th but things seemed to go pretty well anyway.

Strict Press 65kg x 3,3,3,3,3. Went with Smack's advice and got all 5 sets in, was tough towards the end but I feel confident about upping the reps gradually and dropping the sets now. Maybe something like 4,4,3,3 next time, will see how it goes.

Pendlay Rows 77.5kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 97.5kg x 5,5,5.
Reply 49
Didn't sleep well the last two days but a bit of caffeine seems to have made up for it, really solid session.

Bench 92.5kg 3x3. Pretty easy tbh, should have just manned up and did more reps but my form was deteroriating a bit. Had a chat with Alex_tait last night and he made the good point that my progression for this would be faster on Madcow's now so I'm going to switch to that for benching.

Deadlifts 130kg x 5. Thought these were ok. Form is, as always, a work in progress but I'm happy on the whole. Need to focus on pulling back a little more still and maybe having a flatter back angle in the starting position. Here's the video.

CGBP 70kg x 3 sets of 8-10.

Ab wheel because no decline benches.

Weighed in at 84.2kg, strange things are afoot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Very happy with today. Got absolutely trashed on Friday so I had some pretty bad hamstring and ab doms but things went really well regardless:

Press 65kg x 4,4,5. 5rm PR Was expecting something like 4,4,3 so this was excellent.

Pendlay Rows 80kg x 5,4,5. Form not excellent, will repeat.

Squats 100kg x 5,5,5.
Congrats. Strong pressing! :P
Reply 52
Original post by ibysaiyan
Congrats. Strong pressing! :P

Thanks! I've been looking around the forum and I think that my press may actually be one of the best now. Weird given how bad my lower body lifts are in comparison...
Reply 53
Strange session today, got someone who doesn't train much / at all to come in and spot me but we're really competitive and I ended up doing some random junk like lat pulldown which may have affected my lifting. Also if I'm going to get less than 8 hours sleep I need to take caffeine before a workout from now on...

Bench 50,60,70,80x5. 92.5 x 4. I've been reading more about madcow's and he actually recommends you give yourself a run of easier weights before you start trying to hit PBs. Kind of meh but I'll probably drop to 85x5 because I should not have failed my first session of this. Then hopefully I'll get a nice run up to about 100x5.

Deadlift 132.5kg x 5. No video but felt good.

Stretching and foam roll.
Reply 54
25/01:

Had major doms from the lat pulldown because I haven't done it in 8 or 9 months maybe so did some sprints, foam rolling and stretching instead of lifting today :frown:
Reply 55
Cracking session today:

Strict Press 65kg x 5,5,5. PB Absolutely grind free, felt very strong.

Rows 70kg x 5,5,5. Still had lat doms from 2 days ago so did these light.

Squats 102.5kg x 5,5,5. Might be a PB but felt much easier than last time I was near this weight anyway. Still a little bit of buttwink so I need to keep stretching and foam rolling to improve my flexibility. I've actually been told by a physio before that I have very inflexible hips (the joint, not the muscle) so I'll probably never be able to squat ATG but a couple inches below parallel with good form should be doable.

Stretched and foam rolled.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Steady on old chap!!!
Reply 58
Original post by alex_tait
Steady on old chap!!!

I say!

So anyway I was disgustingly hung over today with about 6 hours sleep. Good thing Madcow's recommends a mini-reset for the bench then.

Bench 40,50,60,72.5,85kg x 5.

Deadlift 135kg x 5. Got a video of this but won't bother uploading, was pretty good especially considering how tired I was.

Foam rolled, didnt have time to stretch.
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope your future sets aren't grind free. You are threatening my 71 3x5 PB.

Quick Reply

Latest