The Student Room Group

Got 99 problems but a bench aint one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Played my first game of squash ever today against a mate and got absolutely smashed. He only bothers to inform me afterwards that he's the college no.1 player at the moment.

Talk about hustling...

In other news forgot to stretch / foam roll, meh.
Reply 61
Pretty good session again:

Strict Press 67.5kg x 3,3,3,3,3. Quite hard getting all 5 sets in but sets me up nicely again to hit a 3x5 over the next week or two.

Pendlay Rows 80kg x 5,5,5. Much happier with form this time.

Squats 105kg x 5,5,5 PB. First two sets hard then I was told to get my hips back more and this made the last set feel much better.

Stretched and foam rolled.
absolutely spi- i say!!!!!!
Reply 63
So basically I was out late last night, hungover and tired today with pretty bad hamstring doms (drinking seems to do this to me). Basically I got what I deserved today, need to stop thinking I can drink lots / not sleep much and make good strength gains.

Bench 40,50,62.5,75x5,87.5x3. This was the prescribed reps.

Deadlift 137.5kg x 0. Wouldn't budge, could feel my hamstrings just refusing so I didn't force it and decided to leave it for another day.

CGBP 70kg x 8,8,8.
Reply 64
Pretty pleased with today on the whole as I've had a ton of work over the last 3 days and sleep has suffered a bit for it. Should be better from now I hope.

Strict Press 67.5kg x 4,4,3.

Rows 82.5kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 107.5kg x 5,5,5. Starting to get pretty hard and slow. I'm considering a belt as most people just get them when they feel they need them I think? Anyway I need to do more ab work regardless of whether or not I get a belt.

Ab rollouts

Stretching and foam rolling.

I've also been logging my weight over the last 2-3 weeks, here's the 3 day moving average:

As you can see no statistically significant difference so far. I'm going to start eating half a pack of bacon / gammon or something like that everyday with the aim of putting on 1kg every 3 weeks or so. I've never tried bulking in a controlled way before so will be interesting to see if I can do it, previous attempts have always been putting on 8kg in 6 weeks or something stupid then keeping weight constant for a while.
Reply 65
Decent today:

Bench 40,50,62.5,75,87.5 x 5.

Deadlift 137.5kg x 5. Couple of notes on this: don't know whether my form was good because due to what happened last session I really just wanted to get this up. Wasn't too hard but I tore a callous for the first time which kind of sucks.

CGBP 70kg x 10,10,8.
SS with
Rear delt flyes.
Reply 66
Felt a bit ill today but still went ok:

Strict Press 67.5kg x 4,4,4. Added a rep from last time but wanted another so I failed the 5th rep of the last set. If I don't progress on this next session I might reset.

Pendlay Rows 85kg x 5,5,3. Going to reset to 75, form not great.

Squats 110kg x 5,5,5. Actually went quite nicely, will get a video of the 3rd set up.

Ab rollouts.

Stretch and foam roll.
Strict press 65kg like an empty bar but fail on 67.5kg. Not sure if serious.
Reply 68
Original post by alex_tait
Strict press 65kg like an empty bar but fail on 67.5kg. Not sure if serious.

My press has always been a bit weird but I think the most recent case was more down to how I was feeling on the day.
Reply 69
Good today:

Bench 50,60,70,80x5. 90 x 3.

Deadlifts 140 x 5. Again didn't focus on form, back very slightly rounded on last 2 reps as a result.

CGBP 70kg x 10,8,10.

SS with

Facepulls.

Stretched and foam rolled.
Reply 70
10/02:

Broke my cardinal rule today and had some caffeine when I didn't really need it, I actually felt excellent for it and might use it as a plateau buster:

Strict Press 67.5kg x 5,5,4. No failure, just didn't bother going for the last rep. Going to move up to 70kg next time for 5x3.

Rows 72.5kg x 5,5,5. Will get video up.

Squats 112.5kg x 5,5,5. Good.

Rollouts and foam rolling.
Reply 71
Reply 72
Think I hurt my elbow slightly while drunk on Friday night, interfered with my bench a bit today.

Bench 50,60,70,80,90 x 5.

Deadlifts 142.5 x 5.

Facepulls SS with rollouts.

Stretched / foam rolled.
Reply 73
Pretty medicore today, my elbow was giving me some grief during squat warmup for some reason so I decided to leave them out.

Strict Press 70kg x 3,3,3,2. The last rep was really grindy so I left it there. Breathing wasn't good on these, generally felt a bit gassed / unstable.

Pendlay Rows 75kg x 5,5,5.

Rollouts.
Reply 74
OKish again today, still feeling quite tired despite sleep being good.

Bench 50,60,70,80x5.
92.5 x 3.
70 x 8. My elbow felt fine which is nice, hopefully should be able to squat on Sunday.

Deadlifts 145 x 5. Form not as good as last time, meh.

Face pulls SS with rollouts.

Foam rolling.
Deadlifts looked very solid. :yy:
Reply 76
Original post by cowsforsale
Deadlifts looked very solid. :yy:

Thanks! I've really been making an effort to keep good form on them.
Reply 77
Press: 70kg x 3,4,3,3. 2 reps more than last time but not what I was hoping for. I guess on OHP progress is progress.

Rows 77.5kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 115kg x 5,5,5. Starting to feel very hard, might belt up soon for squats.
Reply 78

looks like your rowing to low, row to where you bench.
Reply 79
Original post by Gallium
looks like your rowing to low, row to where you bench.

I'm pretty sure I bench below nipple height.

I think I need to make some notes for stuff that happened last session. Firstly I'm doing a lot more running due to sports so because of my rather poor conditioning this is interfering with my recovery for lower body work. Should only be temporary but I pretty much have had hamstring doms of varying degrees for the last week.

Secondly my elbow was giving me a little bit of trouble during squats but not too much. However I went and played in a hockey match straight after and that has made it feel quite a bit worse, I think there may be some impingement or something, it's still a bit sore 2 days on. May go and see the physio, especially if benching tomorrow is troublesome.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest