The Student Room Group

Got 99 problems but a bench aint one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Mdawg
Might have been longer than your rep bro.

I don't really agree with you about the press. Many people on here have a less advanced press than me, train it reasonably often and make almost no gains. My experience with press is that you need to devote a fair amount of time to it to make gains after a certain point; this seems to be the consensus view too. I'm happy to maintain but probably going to try 72.5 next week, much more concerned with my bench currently though.

You can't have been on your program for more than a few weeks anyway which is too early to make judgements about its efficacy.

it's only a 6 week cycle, i'm on week 3 and have hit prs every week, press is more mental then anything. you have to be willing to grind harddd as fukkk.

pretty much speaking to matt he said what i'm doing with press is ideal the only thing he'd change is doing his push presses first and regular presses at the end.

i do like 9-12 sets in total with ohp a week.
Reply 161
Bit disappointed with benching today:

Bench: 60,70,82.5,95kgx5
107.5kg x 4...3rd time in a row, got even closer this time but lost it about half way up.

Squats 130kg x 5,3,3,5. Basically I just needed to man up but form was deteriorating quite a bit. Gonna have two more sessions, max out then reset.

Rows 75kg x 5,5,5.
Reply 162
Excellent session today, feeling wide awake for the first time in a while and hit some great PBs:

Bench: 60,70,82.5,95,107.5kgx5 PB. Last rep very hard but just about got there.

Squats: 132.5kg x 5,5,5 PB. Not even too hard.

Rows 75kg x 8,8,8.

Face pulls.

So plan for the next few weeks is max bench on Friday and squat normally. Then max squat on monday and bench reset to something like 95. Normal deadlifts this Wednesday then max deadlift next Wednesday. Probably going to reset my squat and deadlift too as I've been training on the nerve for quite some time now.

After the next wave of progress on squats I'll probably move to Madcow's as written. Would quite like 3x5 140 or so on SS.
Reply 163
Another great session, very happy with the press given that I've put no effort in to it recently:

Strict Press: 70kg x 1.
82.5kg x 1 PB. Really easy.
85kg x 1 PB. Very tough, seems like I have a sort of hard sticking point given that 82.5 was so easy.

Deadlift 165kg x 5 PB. Last heavy set of 5, maxing then next week then deload. Form getting ugly.

Chins

DB rows 30k x 8. Keeping volume low was maxing bench on Friday.
Original post by Mdawg

Deadlift 165kg x 5 PB. Last heavy set of 5, maxing then next week then deload. Form getting ugly.

What you expecting for a max? And what's the most you've lifted before?

Looking for 190 or the big 200?
Reply 165
everyones bench on this forum is sky-rocketing..... must do something about my pathetic bench.

brb 1:1 pushpress to bench ratio.

sweet deadlfits man, i'm crap at maxing my best deadlfit is 160x4 while i maxed at 175.
Reply 166
Original post by Motorbiker
What you expecting for a max? And what's the most you've lifted before?

Looking for 190 or the big 200?

Haven't maxed properly in a while - best so far is 170 lol. I'd be pretty happy with 190 as I've never been great at maxing them.

Original post by Gallium
everyones bench on this forum is sky-rocketing..... must do something about my pathetic bench.

sweet deadlfits man, i'm crap at maxing my best deadlfit is 160x4 while i maxed at 175.

Yeh I've had a good 3-4 months on bench, put 17.5kg on my 5RM so hoping to hit 125 for a single. It's weird to think that 3 plates could be realistic by the end of the year with a bit of bulking.
Original post by Gallium
everyones bench on this forum is sky-rocketing.....

Mine hasn't.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg
Reply 168
Original post by Smack
Mine hasn't.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

our technique is either ****, or we don't bench with any consistency..... i think i'm the latter.
Reply 169
Maybe you need to tweak your form a little or more depending on what goes wrong...
for me I had to totally change my BP tech. from PL to BB i.e : non- existent leg drive (ok prob. minimum) , wide grip , flat back ...

P.S: Start doing barbell inclines if you haven't...
P.P.S: Took me 300 days to finally figure out what was going wrong all along...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 170
Strong benching and overhead press!
Reply 171
Original post by liftorrot
Maybe you need to tweak your form a little or more depending on what goes wrong...
for me I had to totally change my BP tech. from PL to BB i.e : non- existent leg drive (ok prob. minimum) , wide grip , flat back ...

P.S: Start doing barbell inclines if you haven't...
P.P.S: Took me 300 days to finally figure out what was going wrong all along...

Seriously just stop giving advice.

Original post by u4m1r
Strong benching and overhead press!

Thanks! Still a fair bit off your level though, what was your best bench max ever?
Reply 172
Original post by Mdawg

Thanks! Still a fair bit off your level though, what was your best bench max ever?

145 but that was a different era. Around the same level as you now.
Good to see your bench press and deadlift have improved man, keep it up?

Do you ever dumbell chest press, if yes what weight?

Keep up the hard work!!
Reply 174
Original post by Mdawg

It wasn't directed to you , read my post once again. I said the above changes worked for ME , in what sense am I endorsing that onto someone ? if anything I was only sharing my experience/ perspective.

It may or may not work for him . I have seen people doing 3plate and in rare cases 4 plate with hardly any arch not saying that one shouldn't. Not everyone is built for PL type benching or the other way around , granted benefits of PL form outweigh "regular" form.

P.S: Gallium lifts at Mat's gym , who has more knowledge and experience than the majority of us on here including me ( a newbie) .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by pinda.college
Good to see your bench press and deadlift have improved man, keep it up?

Do you ever dumbell chest press, if yes what weight?

Keep up the hard work!!

Thanks, yeh I'm very happy with the last 4 months of lifting but I'm back home for the summer soon with a pretty bad bench setup so will just have to see how it goes.

No I don't do any dumbell excercises, if I switch to 5/3/1 about 6 months down the line I might throw some in for bodybuilding purposes.

Original post by liftorrot
It wasn't directed to you , read my post once again. I said the above changes worked for ME , in what sense am I endorsing that onto someone ? if anything I was only sharing my experience/ perspective.

It may or may not work for him . I have seen people doing 3plate and in rare cases 4 plate with hardly any arch not saying that one shouldn't. Not everyone is built for PL type benching or the other way around , granted benefits of PL form outweigh "regular" form.

P.S: Gallium lifts at Mat's gym , who has more knowledge and experience than the majority of us on here including me ( a newbie) .

If you weren't e-statting when you came on here then you've made no progress or even negative progress on most of your lifts in the last year, so I highly doubt you've got it "figured out".

Not saying that I have either but I'm not the one going around giving advice which contradicts all the conventional wisdom on how to bench properly and avoid shoulder injuries.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 176
Just how exactly has my progress been negative ? before injury I could lock out roughly 2.7 xBW DL without any effort only six months into weight lifting , BW ohp ( no supplements ). I am not sure whose blog you used to follow but definitely not mine , when I say bench didn't make any progress for 300 days I mean it , so what about the 'history' of e-statting ,the only misunderstanding was on the 120 bench press. I didn't know the dos and donts back then (spotted reps,etc) , remember my squat form ?

I genuinely don't understand what your problem is , whatever I am done arguing with you.
Reply 177
Bench Max Day. Pretty pleased with how it all went today, got some videos of the benching but they're not on my phone so don't know if I can get them up. Definite areas for technical improvement still as I'm still benching too much like a bodybuilder, will work on it when I reset.

Bench: 110kgx1
120kg x 1 PB
125kg x 1 PB
127.5kg x F. Probably just tired by this point as the 125 wasn't too grindy.
Very happy with this as this was the target I set back in January and is a 10kg PB over what I managed in April. Weird to think that 140 might be in the pipeline for the end of the year.

Squats: 135kg x 5. PB
Practised some walkouts with 160, **** felt heavy.

Pendlay Rows: 75kg x 5,5,5.

Face pulls.
Reply 178
You did it mang, I'm going to max on Monday and hopefully get a 100kg :angry:
Reply 179
Original post by Tango189
You did it mang, I'm going to max on Monday and hopefully get a 100kg :angry:

Serves you right for cheat benching :tongue:

Race to 140?

Quick Reply

Latest