The Student Room Group

Got 99 problems but a bench aint one.

Been training for about 3 years now and had a log on here for all but 3 months of that. I started off using machines and sh*t like most people then switched to SS after a few months - best decision I ever made. Ran SS then modified it for a while before switching to Madcow's 5x5. Been battling with 5/3/1 and inconsistent training for around 15 months now but still managing to progress a bit. Best lifts as of January 2014:

Bench 125kg
Squat 190kg
Deadlift 210kg
Strict Press 72.5kgx7

At bodyweight 87kg

Current program: 5/3/1
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm really weak fml and I have a 6 pack that looks wierd help me daddy
I don't think your lifts are unbalanced. They obviously reflect that you are better at upper body lifts, but I wouldn't say that they are unbalanced, and hence recommend a routine focusing on the unbalances. With that routine you should get stronger on everything, and I'd expect your lower body lifts to gain at a slightly faster rate than upper ones.

Good luck, by the way.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I don't think your lifts are unbalanced. They obviously reflect that you are better at upper body lifts, but I wouldn't say that they are unbalanced, and hence recommend a routine focusing on the unbalances. With that routine you should get stronger on everything, and I'd expect your lower body lifts to gain at a slightly faster rate than upper ones.

Good luck, by the way.

Thanks.

Was at a weird gym today with small plates and soft benches.

Bench: 80kg x 5,5,5. Felt hard but this is probably a bit to do with the benches / setup being weird.

Tried squatting, was hurting my ankle.

Deadlifts 100kg x 5. Plates too low.
Reply 4
Nice title, subbed again.
Reply 5
Strict Press: 55kg x 5,5,4. Only reason I missed the last one was because I lost balance, not concerned about this.

Squats 60kg x 5,5,5. Still feeling a bit sore on my ankle.

Pendlay Rows 60kg x 5,5,5.
I know nothing about bench pressing, but +1 for your title.
Original post by Spoonforknife
I'm really weak fml and I have a 6 pack that looks wierd help me daddy

What the hell is wrong with you...?
Reply 8
am looking to maybe gain 3-5kg over the next 5 weeks.

Either that's going to be mostly fat, or you'll be on dat dere trenbolene acetate. Good luck gaining 5kg of lean body mass in 5 weeks natty. Most people only gain about 7 in a 3 month cycle.
Reply 9
Original post by Skarm
Either that's going to be mostly fat, or you'll be on dat dere trenbolene acetate. Good luck gaining 5kg of lean body mass in 5 weeks natty. Most people only gain about 7 in a 3 month cycle.

Yeh I'll probably only be looking to gain 3kg at most and I don't mind putting on a bit of fat.
Original post by siwelmail
What the hell is wrong with you...?

haha :biggrin:

On a serious note I do have an issue.

I find it extremely hard to gain any kind of mass. I'm 19/20 and I eat like an animal. My diet largely varies, I can't eat beef (hinduuuuuu).

For example, today I ate...

breakfast:
Porridge
Banana
3 weetabix
2 glasses of milk

lunch
3 eggs
3 wholemeal toast
homemade chicken curry
rice
2 wholemeal naans

snacked on cereal bars, snack in the fridge, fish fingers, jacket potato.

For dinner
Homemade Pizza
Peppers
Onions
Rosti
Vegetables
Water
Chicken
Lamb meatballs

I find it so hard

And about what I posted earlier, I go boxing and instead of getting "Bigger" It has ripped out my chest, so I have a 6 pack breaking through and tiny arms.. I look like a damn T-Rex! I also want bigger pecks

sorry for the essay daddy, but please help me

ALSO:

I just want to put MASS on like a BOSS. I just want to weigh more. I am 50kg's :frown: Then come March/April, I will be a gym junkie and rip myself out. So i just want mass for now, then later on turn it to muscle.
(edited 12 years ago)
I lifted a fat kid once.
Reply 12

I find it extremely hard to gain any kind of mass. I'm 19/20 and I eat like an animal. My diet largely varies, I can't eat beef (hinduuuuuu).

breakfast:
Porridge
Banana
3 weetabix
2 glasses of milk

lunch
3 eggs
3 wholemeal toast
homemade chicken curry
rice
2 wholemeal naans

For dinner
Homemade Pizza
Peppers
Onions
Rosti
Vegetables
Water
Chicken
Lamb meatballs

I find it so hard

And about what I posted earlier, I go boxing and instead of getting "Bigger" It has ripped out my chest, so I have a 6 pack breaking through and tiny arms.. I look like a damn T-Rex! I also want bigger pecks

ALSO:

I just want to put MASS on like a BOSS. I just want to weigh more. I am 50kg's :frown: Then come March/April, I will be a gym junkie and rip myself out. So i just want mass for now, then later on turn it to muscle.

I don't even know where to begin.

1) You aren't eating enough. Eat more. Calculate your BMR, find the calories required to maintain bodyweight, and eat 500 above that.

2) Boxing is predominately cardio, it will not make you bigger. You are simply burning calories, meaning you have to eat even more.

3) Lean muscle mass is very difficult to put on. You will not see any significant body recomposition by march. Lifting is a long term commitment. You will not see many gains if you only go to the gym for a short while.

4) You cannot turn fat into muscle. Bulking without lifting weights will just make you fat, you will then have to cut, then resume your bulk when you do start lifting weights. Get a gym subscription, do your research, start lifting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

breakfast:
Porridge
Banana
3 weetabix
2 glasses of milk

lunch
3 eggs
3 wholemeal toast
homemade chicken curry
rice
2 wholemeal naans

For dinner
Homemade Pizza
Peppers
Onions
Rosti
Vegetables
Water
Chicken
Lamb meatballs

I find it so hard

ALSO:

Stop whining, drink your milk and get off my log. Preferably in that order.
Original post by Mdawg
Stop whining, drink your milk and get off my log. Preferably in that order.

cheers for the sound advice weed!
Reply 15
Bench 82.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt alright.

Deadlifts 100kg x 5, 110kg x 4. No failure, not really sure what I was playing at here though. Will get a video to check my form is ok then start progressing again.

CGBP: 60kg x 10,10.
Reply 16
Very good session today, first time I've felt positive about lifting in about 2 months. I decided to bench again because my brother was there to spot me and don't always get a guarantee of a good spotter.

Bench: 85kg x 5,5,5. Last rep was a grind, but spotter didn't touch. I guess this is where having a good spotter really makes a difference because most I've seen would have jumped in and started helping on the 3rd rep of the last set.

Pendlay Rows 62.5kg x 5,5,5. Form was really solid on these I thought. Back reasonably flat and about the right amount of chest lift on the pull upwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_OdjaQE2Q&context=C38e8ec5ADOEgsToPDskKVDing7VZJaRxM2NDV1Ty6

Squats @ 60kg: first time it did not hurt my ankle and flexibility felt ok. Should be able to start doing this properly again soon.
I am listening to 99 problems right now!! O.o
Glad to hear that your injury is brushing away :P

They are nasty little creatures :/
Reply 19
Gym has no heating so I'm going to have to increase warm up volume from now on pressing:

Strict Press 57.5kg x 5,5,5. Was slow but felt solid. Confident about getting this on 60kg again next time.

Deadlifts 110kg x 5. Felt fine, just checking it's ok on my ankle etc. Will start adding weight now I think.

Quick Reply

Latest