The Student Room Group

How many year's will I be entitled to?

Hi everyone,

I know there's quite a few threads on this already, but I'm just a little confused.

I attended university in September 2008, got in through clearing but it ended up being a course I wasn't really happy with, which resulted in me leaving sometime in January.

In September 2009 I started a course at a different university, but ended up suffering with severe depression around the same time i started the course. I was put on medication and was being monitored by my GP, so this could be verified if needed. Unfortunately this resulted in me leaving university again.

After over a year and a half of pills and stuff I finally got back to my usual self and now I've started my application to go to uni again in September 2012. The only thing worrying me now is the financial side of things. From what I've read the support you're eligible to receive is calculated as 'course duration+1yr - previous yrs of study'. My course is going to be 4yrs, so currently I'm entitled to 4yrs+1-2 previous yrs = 3 yrs support. If I appeal for compelling personal reasons causing me to drop out last time and it's accepted, will this bring me up to the full 4yrs support? Just there's no way I'll be able to raise £9k by next September to pay for my first year.

Sorry that was so long, I just wanted to make my situation clear, thanks for your help people :smile:
Unless you e-mailed/wrote to/phoned student finance, and got your September 2009 year nullified due to mitigating circumstances, you will need to fund the first year yourself, then the next 3 years will be funded by student finance. If you can apply for compelling personal reasons retrospectively, you will be ok, but I am in a situation where I am needing to take time out, and being advised to apply for CPR now just in case I ever need the extra year, even though I still have my +1 year of funding left.

Best thing to do is phone student finance and ask.
Reply 2
You should start the ball rolling asap with the CPR. If as you say you have proof on medical grounds for that one year then you should get funding for the duration of your course. However, SFE aren't known to be quick, or accurate and you *could* be faced with a hard time, so best to get started asap.
Thanks for the advice :smile:
I'll try n get the ball rolling ASAP

Quick Reply

Latest