Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F1- The off season chat thread

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I'd say it would be too hard to regulate as the cars won't always be exactly behind each other and some of them may move back into the slip stream to regain an advantage, which could lead to move incidents of drivers colliding.

I'd rather they just get rid of DRS. It's just creating artificial racing and almost dictating where overtaking will happen.
    I don't like the way DRS works at the moment, its too artificial even when it does work as its designed to. I don't mind it in qualifying, though, as it adds an extra element to driving the perfect lap. For the race, if DRS had to exist, then it should work similarly to KERS, so the driver chooses when to deploy it and the DRS has a finite time its can be open per lap. This might be complicated to regulate though.

The best solution, imo, is the remove DRS from the race, and only allow it in qualifying.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    I don't like the way DRS works at the moment, its too artificial even when it does work as its designed to. I don't mind it in qualifying, though, as it adds an extra element to driving the perfect lap. For the race, if DRS had to exist, then it should work similarly to KERS, so the driver chooses when to deploy it and the DRS has a finite time its can be open per lap. This might be complicated to regulate though.

The best solution, imo, is the remove DRS from the race, and only allow it in qualifying.
    I can't say I am too bothered by it in quali either.
    It is too artificial, the FIA should look at the tracks rather than the cars:
    Valencia was a ridiculously boring race even with the new tyres, KERS and DRS,
    Korea wasn't great,
    Monaco you don't get much overtaking whatever you do to the cars
    Abu Dhabi, only had overtaking from KERS and having two zones right next to each other was silly, but they were at least seperate zones unlike Canada.
    I'd name more but I can't even think of them at the moment!

People say it's been a great season, but the titles was dominated by one driver/team, much of the overtaking was artificial, and I am struggling to remember many of the races.

I can't see it being any more difficult to regulate for a set time than KERS. They really need to work on DRS though to stop having instances like Turkey where it looked like one car was towing an anchor!

To be honest until all teams have KERS and DRS then the racing will be massively artificial and unfair anyway. The BTCC in 2011 had the turbo vs non turbo controversy which in some ways over shadowed the season and Plato was very vocal how unfair and hard to drive it was. You could say the new teams don't get enough credit....

I could see some teams deciding not to run DRS at all if it was quali only, that way they could optimise set up and rear wing design more so.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I absolute loathe DRS. Completely artificial, completely.

The way Webber and Button overtook Schumacher in Canada was just comical, like it was an episode of Wacky Races or something.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    The way Webber and Button overtook Schumacher in Canada was just comical, like it was an episode of Wacky Races or something.
    Yep. The closing speeds were ridiculous.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do we even have DRS?

Pirelli tyres are enough.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Why do we even have DRS?

Pirelli tyres are enough.
    Except that Pirelli are already sick of drivers blaming stuff on them and working on better tyres...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    drs is shocking, the only races which were interesting were races where some of the cars top speed would cancel out the effect of drs. e.g. hamilton and schumacher at monza. Others like alonso vs hamilton at malaysia and hamilton vs webber were brilliant. Defensive driving has effectively gone out the window and I fear it will be even worse this year.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    With the new defensive driving rule I can see the 1 move drivers are allowed to make being made very late. Possibly leading to more incidents. Pretty silly really, Why shouldn't the car in front be able to defend and then take the racing line if he is still completely in front?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the new rule is just going to cause more racing incidents and then more drive through penalties for more aggressive drivers, and overtaking will become even more artificial
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jarno trulli!!!!!!!!!
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96889

Buemi confirmed as RBR reserve driver.

Algurasari will be HRT driver i'm 99.9% certain and i reckon Barricello will keep his williams drive as he's actually gathered sponsorship in the last year or 2 up to the value of $5mill apparently, equal to the other pay drivers...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they're only making these rule changes to increase overtaking and make the races more eventful, but it may get to a point where the achievement of overtaking itself becomes so artificial so as to make the race unexciting.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    F1 has been a shambles in terms of regulations ever since 2009.

Imagine FIFA changing the off-side rule every year, or ITF saying you can no longer serve and volley. All these rule changes are a farce. Obviously with a technological sport like F1, new regulations to counteract certain loopholes or designs e.g. double diffuser, blown diffuser, f-duct etc. are necessary but why change the racing rules.

As if defensive driving wasn't prohibited enough, it's a dying art. Gone are the days of San Marino '05. Sometimes defensive driving can just be just as entertaining as overtaking e.g. Kobayashi vs Button in Brazil '09, Schumi vs Hamilton in Monza '11.

Plus I think if a driver has moved off the racing line to defend, and then is approaching a corner which can really only be entered by the racing line then the driver behind will know and expect the car to make the second move back on line.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't change the regulations, change the race tracks. I mean if F1 wasn't money orientated, Bahrain, Korea and Valencia would not hold a GP and Singapore would host it in turns with Abu Dhabi.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope Williams are more competitive this year. 2011 was just embarrassing to watch for them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    James Allen confirmed as new Radio 5live F1 commentator/lead correspondent after David Croft went to Sky. Nice move for the BBC, also someone to replace Ted Kravitz (also to Sky) as their techno-bod.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idris Dragon)
    James Allen confirmed as new Radio 5live F1 commentator/lead correspondent after David Croft went to Sky. Nice move for the BBC, also someone to replace Ted Kravitz (also to Sky) as their techno-bod.
    There goes the plan of buying the sataleite to get RTL then listening to 5live.

I hate James Allen. He's the most annoying commentator i've ever known.

I do know someone with SKY GO though so should be able to get their details for that and watch it legally on sky via the internets.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I do know someone with SKY GO though so should be able to get their details for that and watch it legally on sky via the internets.
    One problem, Sky Go requires registered devices, so if your friend already uses sky go on two PCs then it's no dice. I've tried doing a remote desktop and it doesn't like that either. Resetting the two registered MAC addresses can only happen once a month or so I think...
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idris Dragon)
    One problem, Sky Go requires registered devices, so if your friend already uses sky go on two PCs then it's no dice. I've tried doing a remote desktop and it doesn't like that either. Resetting the two registered MAC addresses can only happen once a month or so I think...
    They only use it on their iPhone so they said i could have the 2nd registered device so i should be sorted. :cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    They only use it on their iPhone so they said i could have the 2nd registered device so i should be sorted. :cool:
    Excellent. If you have a fast connection and a decent screen then you can get a feed that is as good as TV...
Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.