The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hello

AFAIK to work in a lab in a hospital you have to be registered with the health professions council, either via degree, or if you’re an early school leaver and start basic lab work, you can work your way up, but you end up registered with the HPC somehow - i think. Im actually looking into that just now as the HPC dont accept my degree and i have to complete a certificate of competence with the IBMS.
Reply 2
I was just wondering though if anyone on here works in a lab in a hospital? I am very new to it & am keen to learn more & find out what to expect. It seems a great job, especially as there's good prospects within the NHS so you feel secure. I hope to train as a BMS in the near future (gosh the waiting list is soo long), is anyone training to become a BMS on here??
Reply 3
I will be once i complete my IBMS certificate of competence in an accredited laboratory. If you want just a basica lab job in the hospital you can get in without being registerd with the health professions council, but you dont get to do much. If you study BMS at uni you still have to register with the HPC, but if you dont have a BMS degree, but have a biological degree then you can get in via IBMS certificate of competence.

It also depends what part of the lab you want to work in, virology, microbiology etc

hope that clear things up a litle.
Reply 4
Thanks MTC :smile:

:yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending