The Student Room Group

Is it ok using 2-3 textbooks will this get me a high grade?

im trying to catch up with work over the x-mas break, and im only using the recommended textbook and then one really in-depth one, and bits and pieces from others. Is this okay? I plan to do article and journal research on top of this, i really want to get a first this year, so was just wondering if this is a bad idea....thanks guys.... :smile:
Reply 1
Well, I personally believe that you will be wasting time reading more than one textbook. If you feel the recommended textbook is useless, then just stick to the more in-depth one and that alone. Textbooks are designed just to convey basic knowledge, so if you want a high grade your better off spending more time on articles and cases than re-reading that which you already know.
Reply 2
1 book should be fine, I don't see how using 2 books will give you such a massive boost... If its science/maths subjects I think reading over notes/textbooks + doing as MANY past papers/exam stlye questions as possible is the best method for a top grade.
Reply 3
Original post by law.student
im trying to catch up with work over the x-mas break, and im only using the recommended textbook and then one really in-depth one, and bits and pieces from others. Is this okay? I plan to do article and journal research on top of this, i really want to get a first this year, so was just wondering if this is a bad idea....thanks guys.... :smile:

Your not going to do 3 textbook in a month dude. Its way to MUCH. Stick with the recommended and the internet. Hope this helps!!
If you are doing an essay for uni then you HAVE to use more than the recommended text. It is almost impossible to get a first without it. Journal articals are also a must. For a 3000 word essay i'm doing at the moment Im using at least 10 different sources.
Yes. But it depends on the books. You can get a first based on one textbook if it is good enough, explains things clearly and includes details of some of the relevant journal articles.
1 textbook + The INTERNET is more than enough tbh:smile:
Reply 7
how many articles should you roughly use? Will 4 suffice?
Original post by law.student
how many articles should you roughly use? Will 4 suffice?

Depends on what word limit and subject you are doing. I'd use 1 journal artical for every 4-5 books you use.

EDIT: Also, unis tend to have online e-books and journals now so they should be relatively easy to find. These are peer reveiwed by academics so they usually top quality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Also be VERY wary of using the internet. Never using google to find sources and wikipedia are obviously not good ideas. Pesonally I would stick to the sources your uni has available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending