The Student Room Group

close + delete pls

Thread has been answered & thanks for your help.

Forum staff ---> Could you please close & delete this thread as I feel it doesn't help me nor anyone else using the search box.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes, full loan, full grant, perhaps money from your chosen university, and likely you'll have to pay back less in the end. As bad as it sounds, poorer families get students a better financial deal.
Original post by mangoh
how do I know I qualify for this?

Because you're in low income, you get maximum grants, bursaries and loans.
Original post by mangoh
how do I know I qualify for this?

The household income threshold is £25,000 - so if you earn under than you automatically receive the full entitlement. I can't say for certain whether you'll get finance as it depends on you satisfying SFE's criteria of personal and course eligibility, but that's what you should get.
Reply 4
You'll be fine. You'll be eligible for full grant and loan, and depending on how well you do in your A levels and depending on whether or not your chosen university offers them you will be eligible for bursaries as well.

As bizarre as it may sound. Poorer students do get one of the best deals with regards to university funding.
Reply 5
You'll be better off with funding because you come from a household with a lower income.

Here's the student finance page which will tell you more information, scroll down to the bottom for the calculator where you can work out what exact funding you can recieve, depending on income, what course and such:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171539
Because your household income is <£25,000, you'll get full loan, grant and bursary.

Tuition fee loan = equal to the amount of your tuition fees
Maintenance loan = £3875 (like the tuition fee loan, it has to be paid back, but only when you are earning >£21k, and then it's based on your annual income, and interest rates are low).
Maintenance grant = £3,250 (doesn't have to be paid back)
Bursary = variable by university e.g. Manchester would give you £1250 if you were starting in 2011, but I believe that goes up to £3000 next year (non-repayable).

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/calculator/studentfinancecalculator/1213/summary.xhtml

It's definitely doable without parental support :smile:
Reply 7
As you have a lone parent earning under £25,000, you will have money thrown at you all over the place haha.

My girlfriend is pretty much the same as you. She receives the full maintenance grant and after xmas the university is giving her another £1000.
Reply 8
probably January
Original post by mangoh

Original post by mangoh
thanks for your replies but this has to be said to be the most helpful!

cheers

got another question, when is the deadline for applying for extra funding?

Bursaries are assessed by the university when you check the little box which lets Student Finance share your details with the university, and then then it's all done automatically. I can't remember what the deadline is with student finance in general, but get it in as soon as possible, just to allow extra time for their incompetence.
Reply 10
Original post by mangoh
I was wondering what funding I will recieve?

I'm from a relatively poor background, lone parent on a salarly less than 18k

Will I recieve anything?

I'll be happy to answer further questions

i'm a very poor student too .. I get the full grant .. full loan and a bursary from the uni!

So will you
Reply 11
My girlfriend gets maximum grants/loans/etc. and she gets more grant money (not even including loans) than most people have to spend in a year. Disregarding the tuition fee loans, she will leave university richer than when she started.
Not that I am going to complain about my financial situation, but when I look at her and then the government saying Oxford doesn't do enough for people from low income families, I'm just like "o.O?".
Reply 12
Also, each individual uni has extra grants for low income families like yours.
Original post by roodootoo

Original post by roodootoo
Also, each individual uni has extra grants for low income families like yours.

Those are the bursaries :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending