The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies Unit 3 Thread - Thurs Jan 26th 2012

A thread for us who are doing Unit 3.

Tips, resources, discussion. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unit 3 for Edexcel busines and economics
Hello! :smile:

I too will be sitting this exam...lets get a proper discussion going!

What material are you using for revision and what are your revision techniques??

I soley use the AQA Nelson Thornes A2 business textbook and I would like some additional revision resources!! :smile:

ANYONE ELSE doing this exam??
I'm using the AQA Nelson Thornes A2 textbook too. Far better than the one at AS which I never really used. I'm really scared for the exam though, any areas you assume will come up? I really need to practice how to use the ratios.
Reply 5
I have a feeling something about moving averages, extrapolation, correlation and something's about quantitative forecasting is gonna come up, i just know it, they haven't put it ever in the exams in the previous years.
I have this exam - so worried :frown:
Hardly done any revision :O :O

Hey guys :smile:

Glad to know I will not be taking this exam alone!
Yep I agree..I do think we will get a question on correlaton, extrapolation, moving averages etc..I wouldn't mind if its onlike the uses and limitations on such techniques..do we have to know how to calculate anything? Also I'm struggling on the Critical Path Analysis stuff..I have a horrible feeling this too may be on our paper :frown:

What other things do you think we'll get??
How is everyones revision going?? I'm pretty behind :frown:
Reply 8
I'm extremely behind on revision for this exam.

Gonna go full throttle from Monday. 4-5 hours a day.
Original post by Toki_Premium
I'm extremely behind on revision for this exam.

Gonna go full throttle from Monday. 4-5 hours a day.

Mind if I join you? :P
I am soo behind in this exam :eek:
Reply 10
Lol gotta revise this and Buss 1&2
Reply 11
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Mind if I join you? :P
I am soo behind in this exam :eek:

Of course. Lol I really need a B at the minimum but would personally like an A...

But I won't get it at this rate *sigh*

How are you guys revising?

Me personally i'm just trying go through both books the AQA one and the mini Nelson Thornes one and am trying to make detailed but short notes...

Will go onto practice papers a week before the exam I think..
Any ideas on what is going to come up? xD
Reply 13
I realllllyyyy hope that a finance question doesn't come up or if it did I'd like it to be using the formulas given at the start of the exam. I'm not too keen with operations but HRM and marketing I'm fine with.
Original post by SBradford
I realllllyyyy hope that a finance question doesn't come up or if it did I'd like it to be using the formulas given at the start of the exam. I'm not too keen with operations but HRM and marketing I'm fine with.

i love the finnace question!!! i hate the marketing and HRM , how do you revise all that?????
I'd rather have finance than any of the others lol :P It's way too much to know :frown:
Reply 16
I'm gonna try make a list of everything I know in the course:

Finance - balance sheets, income statements, objects (SMART, internal influences, external - PESTLE) financial ratios, investment appraisal, financial strategies (profit centres, cost minimisation, allocating capital expenditure.

Human resources - objectives (SMART, internal influences, external), strategies (hard, soft, workforce planning, centralisation, decentralisation, tall, flat structures, delegation, flexible workforce, out-sourcing, home working employees) employee/employer relations, solving disputes.

Marketing - objectives - same as above, business analysis, quantitive forecasting, strategies (Ansoff's matrix, Porter's generic, expansion into international markets(exporting, setting of over seas base, joint ventures, franchising, licensing) globalisation, market plan)

Operations - objectives, methods of production, economies of scale/diseconomies, innovation, lean, scale and resource mix.
Reply 17
Original post by SBradford
I'm gonna try make a list of everything I know in the course:

Finance - balance sheets, income statements, objects (SMART, internal influences, external - PESTLE) financial ratios, investment appraisal, financial strategies (profit centres, cost minimisation, allocating capital expenditure.

Human resources - objectives (SMART, internal influences, external), strategies (hard, soft, workforce planning, centralisation, decentralisation, tall, flat structures, delegation, flexible workforce, out-sourcing, home working employees) employee/employer relations, solving disputes.

Marketing - objectives - same as above, business analysis, quantitive forecasting, strategies (Ansoff's matrix, Porter's generic, expansion into international markets(exporting, setting of over seas base, joint ventures, franchising, licensing) globalisation, market plan)

Operations - objectives, methods of production, economies of scale/diseconomies, innovation, lean, scale and resource mix.

That's a pretty good list, if you know all that you should be fine. I'm nervous for this exam too, not really sure how to revise once you're fine with the content - any ideas?
Reply 18
Original post by Beckiix
That's a pretty good list, if you know all that you should be fine. I'm nervous for this exam too, not really sure how to revise once you're fine with the content - any ideas?

I've always been a bad reviser, all my mates just write stuff down but I really don't see how that help!
I usually just read over and over again everything I have.
Youtube education has some good videos on stuff like finance and HRM but it goes into too much detail sometimes.

Good luck!
I had my mock last week of summer's buss3 exam, and there was no operations question, so think that might come up. also, no balance or income sheets so that should definately be on there for ratio analysis calculation.
anyone else got any ideas of what might come up?

also, how does everyone manage their time for the 34 markers? i always run out and then cannot gain full evaluation marks :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending