The Student Room Group

Horse Riding, what does it make you think of?

Okay so horse riding is an international sport and both men and women participate and against each other (one of the few sports that have men and women compete against each other) yet when you're in school or college or whatever if you horse ride BAM you have this strange stereotype of having no life and being horse obsessed.

Hello? Not all of us are so keen we have our walls plastered in pictures, horse riding people do have lives. We can still go to parties and have a good time.

What's your pre-concieved image of a horse rider? Male or female?

(i am aware my spelling may be incorrect)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never experienced that stereotype before. And, hey, nothing wron with plastering your walls with pictures, how does it make you lifeless and unable to have a good time? :colonhash:
it doesnt but many of my friends get upset by it because they have only known that stereotype before
Reply 3
$$$$

That's what.
Reply 4
Most people willing to spend that much money on upkeep are horse people. My closest friend's a horse nut, but one of our mutual friends just happens to ride horses.

As for stereotype. Thighs like thunder and a good pair of horse-proof boots. :wink: Also lots of bumps and bruises because some silly bugger fell off her horse recently (that was specifically about her, she's still got a wonky ankle). :lmao:
see and thats another thing, the stereotype that you're rich and a snob :/
Reply 6
Original post by Genocidal
$$$$

That's what.

Owning a horse makes us poor. They cost so damn much, i cant afford a car, to go clothes shopping every other weekend or generally nice things. its all worth it though.
Original post by Superlogon
Owning a horse makes us poor. They cost so damn much, i cant afford a car, to go clothes shopping every other weekend or generally nice things. its all worth it though.

Thank you! My opinion exactly :smile:
Reply 8

Ommg...can't believe you just said that...

like what do you want us to say.....aww poor you for having a horse? atleast you had the chance to get one?! ya get me?

Horses cost like 15 grand, why would you buy one anyway....spending ridiculous money, when you could buy a car instead.
Reply 9
They make a lot of poo.
Reply 10
Things that annoy me: people who think that if you ride, you must automatically be rich. At a stables near me when I lived at home in Yorkshire, they ran a deal where if you did an hour's work, mucking out and stuff, and then tacked up your horse and did everything yourself, you could have half an hour's riding for free. So provided you felt like giving up about two hours of your evening, you could ride completely for nothing. They also lent out sticks and hats, and offered second-hand boots and jodphurs for sale. So all you needed to do was spend £15 on their second-hand clothing, and then you could ride a few times a week for absolutely nothing. This attracted plenty of people who weren't rich, obviously; I knew people there who lived on council estates and the like, because it was something fun and cheap to do.

I appreciate that owning a horse is expensive and that you're likely to be rich if you do have a horse - but then again, there's a massive difference between owning a posh, highly-trained thoroughbred and owning a fat cob. And between keeping your horse at livery and looking after it yourself. You can honestly learn to ride almost for free if you live in the right place, and you can acquire and keep a horse cheaply if you look into it enough. I really wouldn't say the stereotype of all riders being rich, spoilt ***** is necessarily justified.

Edit:
Original post by DontJudge
Horses cost like 15 grand, why would you buy one anyway

Depends very much what sort of horse you get. A general family horse, which does everything you want a basic horse to be able to do, won't set you back more than £500 or so if you're prepared to invest time in training yourself. Of course being able to spend £500 on something non-essential still means that you're rich and far better-off than a lot of people, but the idea that all horses cost like £15k is completely wrong :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
not all horses cost "15 grand" you can get a horse for much less if you wanted too. We do it because we enjoy it.
I think I had the wrong technique so it just makes me think of my genitals being obliterated

Betting on them makes me $$$ though. :biggrin:
Rich bitch, long blonde flowing hair, green quilted jacket, bit of a daddy's girl...

Thanks for the rep DJ.
(edited 12 years ago)
My ex. :awesome:

Though she wasn't rich at all. Nor are any of the other people I know who ride. Saying that, I don't know many rich people that I think I could get on with... Hmmm...
Reply 16
Original post by kerily
Depends very much what sort of horse you get. A general family horse, which does everything you want a basic horse to be able to do, won't set you back more than £500 or so if you're prepared to invest time in training yourself. Of course being able to spend £500 on something non-essential still means that you're rich and far better-off than a lot of people, but the idea that all horses cost like £15k is completely wrong :wink:

:colondollar: Well i did kinda over exaggerate, but still just because they're 500quid doesn't mean you ain't rich, you have to have a huge land to ride them...which also indicates you're rich inneh.

Original post by ellie_mitchell7
not all horses cost "15 grand" you can get a horse for much less if you wanted too. We do it because we enjoy it.

It's much more than a car.
It's like saying......welll i have a mansion i'm living in....but cos i bought that i'm soo pooor.....but i still liv in the mansion..

when there are people living in broken houses, still struggling to get food on their plate :nothing: nam saying bro?
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
I think I had the wrong technique so it just makes me think of my genitals being obliterated

Haha, i'm sure if you persisted it would have improved XD you can get things to make it more comfortable btw. . .
Reply 18
Original post by ellie_mitchell7
Okay so horse riding is an international sport and both men and women participate and against each other (one of the few sports that have men and women compete against each other) yet when you're in school or college or whatever if you horse ride BAM you have this strange stereotype of having no life and being horse obsessed.

Hello? Not all of us are so keen we have our walls plastered in pictures, horse riding people do have lives. We can still go to parties and have a good time.

What's your pre-concieved image of a horse rider? Male or female?

(i am aware my spelling may be incorrect)

My mind: horses = pain :nooo:

You know, I've never met a male horse rider before :holmes: In my eyes, it is more of a feminine oriented sport. I am aware of the stereotype that you mentioned and think it has a small amount of truth, that is if you have a horse you are likely to spend a lot of time with it since they need a lot of care etc however obviously not all horse riders are completely obsessed!
Reply 19
We all have our expensive hobbies and that we see it worthwile spending the cash on, but others think its a waste. I do't want to think how much my guitars and equipment has cost me in the last few months :P. Also i do a lot of target shooting, my air rifle alone cost £350, and the gun cabinet i've bought last week (ready for my FireArm Certificate) cost a big sum as well --__--. I also haven't bothered learning to drive or buy a car. And for myuni years, i dont need toin my opinion, Uni's i've applied to are big cities with public transport, and some of the unis dont allow cars on their accomodation anyway.

As for horseriders, where i'm from, are mostly only ones who go out with the hunts (one was last week actually, (of course fox hunting is banned, but the MP's living in cities dont appear to understand the damage a fox can do to a farmers livestock, they dont kill one chicken and eat it, they kill everything!), i wouldnt say anyone in my small village is horse obsessesed, and i've never heard that stereotype before.

Quick Reply

Latest