The Student Room Group

Currently wanting to do Medicine!

Hi people,

Im currently studying as Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

I am intending to get 4 a's

I am wondering whether it is worth it studying as further maths next year,
as I have an interest in computing etc. just incase i dont get into medicine.

If I decide not to take fmaths as I will be taking all my current 4 to as

So I just want to decide betwen

Taking as f maths next year or for june exams
Or Keeping all my 4 to A2.

I find maths fine cause its easy - not that I enjoy it cause I have one good teacher and one terrible teacher ( 1 teacher i get A for his part of course other teacher I get E's)

Chemistry - fine
Biology - fine
Physics - Good cause its not too difficult.

I revise each subject an hour daily so I don't fall behind.

I also do charity work, few hours on sat and sunday work at a pharmacy, and also work experience at a hospital.

What do you guys think cause ive heard AAAA is better than AAABB

BTW i intend to apply to newcastle.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Also if you guys have any advice for my subjects like tips how to revise please let me know.

:smile:
Reply 2
You need to decide where you want to go and what the minimum requirements are, what type of course etc. You may find it better to concentrate on getting 3 A*. and A at AS. If your GCSE results are on the low side you will find yourself automatically eliminated from places like Cardiff and Birmingham and it won't matter what you are predicted or achieved at AS. Different med schools choose in various ways and careful selection of them according to your strengths and weaknesses will save you a lot of disappointment later. Are you good at independent study? In that case a PBL school might suit you more than a traditional one. Are you likely to do well in the UKCAT? There are samples online and books to try. Same goes for the BMAT. You only have four to choose from so choose carefully.

As you can see there are so many variables. You are getting some decent work experience. Don't neglect things like playing sport and music and a social life. A lot of med schools like rounded people who manage their time well and show a level of social maturity.
Revising? Well, sure you know what suits you by now if you are studying the subjects you are - everyone has their own method. Mine is lying on the sofa playing football manager, watching Friends with my book in front of me. Drives my mum crazy but it works for me!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
First things first - do you want to do medicine or computing? Medicine i think.

Secondly, whatever you do, do not take more than three subjects at A2. Just dont, the Uni websites explicitly state that there is no advantage to doing three.

Now, considering you're doing only three A2s, you need to consider which subject to drop. You can't drop Chem, but you can drop any of the others.

Yes technically you don't need bio at some places. But I recommend that you keep it to A2.

Then between physics and maths - trust me, jus drop whichever one you think is harder for you. If you don't get an A, then you'll be finished so you must pick the easier subject and drop the harder one.

As for revision tips - I have a terrible habit of starting revision just 1 or 2 days before the exam and usually only sleeping 4 hours before the exam...it doesn't work for everyone though! That was at GCSE. I just used to write out my notes and learn the content.

As for AS, the revision time increased by a day or two lol, and the technique changed.

Firstly, I understood the content and then i learnt (memorised). And then i wrote out lots of condensed notes - my headings in my notes correlated with the specification for each subject. Then when I knew everything and understood it in my head, I was in a position to be able to answer how science works questions. Because these HSW qs always ask you about new scenarios. I already understood the inner workings of everything, so I was able to predict how things would change in the new scenarios.

Then I looked at loads of past papers - freeexampapers.com. I just used to practice them, learn the common answers that come up in markschemes etc and get used to all the random graphs and tables in biology.

And that's it! That's my revision for AS.

If you want more info about medicine applications, check out my website www.howtogetintomedicine.com :biggrin:

By the way, check out this AMAZING site for Chem revision: www.chemguide.co.uk

Also good for chem is www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your advice guys.

So with 3 A's at alevel you reckon I would have a good chance at getting in?

Also you reckon doing world challenge will help?

thanks
Reply 5
I have a chance to resit some gcses.

Also do take some new ones like I.C.T. worth 2 gcses and will take 2 weeks full time and i can get 2A*

is it worth it any would universities like Newcastle look down on me thanks.

Or shall i do extra as level like business or computing in like a month?
Reply 6
Anyone??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending