The Student Room Group

One in 100 pupils 'sick with ME'

Scroll to see replies

1 in 100 sounds a bit high to be honest.. A lot of these illnesses *do* exist but you can't deny that for some reason they are being diagnosed more now. Does make you wonder whether everyone with the diagnosis genuinely has the condition - but then I think it is one of these things that can manifest differently in lots of different people. I think as well, lots of people can show the same kind of symptoms but they might not necessarily be from the same cause.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Someone I used to know had ME. But I'm confused exactly what it is as I hadn't heard of it before until I met this guy.

Now I don't doubt he has it, I'm not a Doctor or scientist so it wouldn't be my place to judge on medical matters. But in this person at least there was a tendency to use it as a scapegoat for everything. When confronted about anything it was typical for him to fall back on the old ME excuse even if it had nothing to do with it. Unless attention seeking can be a psychological symptom of ME?

I tried to keep an open mind about him but it's hard to be sympathetic. Perhaps he did have ME and was just nasty as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was at school everyday but definitely have problems with concentration and sometimes memory, I wonder if I have this..
Nah I doubt it, I don't have severe mood swings or sleep disturbances
(edited 12 years ago)
My cousin was diagnosed with ME over a year ago. She was in such a state it was impossible for her to keep attending school. It really messed up her life.

More recently though doctors have started to think that she's never really had ME, the fatigue is just a symptom from something else - something the doctors still aren't sure on. They seem to give her a different diagnosis every week, and all the while she's losing more and more of her life. I feel so sorry for her :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by Jimbo1234
Link

I can't see how that could possibly be right.
I think it would be more accurate to say "One in 100 pupils are depressed and unfit" as everyone I know who has ME falls into that category.

However, does anyone have personal experience with ME sufferers and would you agree or disagree?

I'm sick with you
Reply 45
I absolutely hate it when people say things like "ME/CFS aren't real, it's all in the head" etcetc. I had glandular fever when I started my AS levels 3 years ago which subsequently gave me CFS. It is truly crippling. I had to abandon my studies, too achy and tired to make the 5 min walk to school. I practically lost all my friends and now looking back, I probably was depressed.

Perhaps though, the worst part of it all wasn't watching my friends go away to university or missing out on my education, it was people saying I was "lazy" and "making it up" which really did me in.
Reply 46
This thread is hugely upsetting. Do any of you making rude judgements actually have first hand experience of M.E? Well I do.
I was severely affected for 5 years. I had to crawl to the bathroom like a sick dog and i was on a feeding tube for 6 months. I was never depressed. I was a seriously ill young teenager who missed out on years of education to intense nausea, insomnia, heart problems, muscle wastage, chronic pain, migraines, sound and light sensitivity... I was bed bound and on tramadol for a good many years. Hospitilised 3 times.
So if the poster who said a "good nights sleep" can do wonders would like to come and say that to a REAL sufferer of the worst kind of ME, that would be grand.
Im one of the lucky ones who recover. Others are not so lucky. I still keep in touch with people in the M.E community and many have sadly, been apart of it for decades.

Edit: im aware that not all posters are of the above opinion and im gateful for that. I encountered the above ignorance too many times during my illness though and i take it very personally.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Beckiix
I absolutely hate it when people say things like "ME/CFS aren't real, it's all in the head" etcetc. I had glandular fever when I started my AS levels 3 years ago which subsequently gave me CFS. It is truly crippling. I had to abandon my studies, too achy and tired to make the 5 min walk to school. I practically lost all my friends and now looking back, I probably was depressed.

Perhaps though, the worst part of it all wasn't watching my friends go away to university or missing out on my education, it was people saying I was "lazy" and "making it up" which really did me in.

Well I for one do not think that it is made up and that some people do have it, but many cases turn out to be due to depression - such as yourself. As I have mentioned previously, I think it is doctors either being lazy or unable to give a correct diagnosis so they revert to using blanket terms and this leads to the stigma.
Well I for one do not think that it is made up and that some people do have it, but many cases turn out to be due to depression - such as yourself. As I have mentioned previously, I think it is doctors either being lazy or unable to give a correct diagnosis so they revert to using blanket terms and this leads to the stigma.

I have suffered from depression (I'm fine now, and I have the psychiatrist report to prove it :tongue: ) and am now suffering from suspected CFS, and it is different. I know that depression is considered a symptom of CFS, according to wiki (not the best source, I know), but I personally haven't experienced a relapse into depression in the past nine months (since the symptoms started appearing).

When I had depression, although it sometimes manifested itself in physical ways, I still knew that it was in my head - not imagined, but that it was a mental illness, and the physical symptoms were a result of that, rather than it being a mental illness caused by a physical problem. This time, it's completely different - I know that the horrible fatigue, constant joint and muscle pains, excruciating headache, bowel problems and the wealth of other symptoms I have are something physical.

I don't particularly want to be diagnosed with ME, but I want to be diagnosed with something - to put my mind at rest so that I have an idea of what is wrong with me and how I can alleviate the symptoms, whether it's through medicine (although I'd rather it wasn't) or getting advice with lifestyle changes that will help me to manage it and make sure I don't miss any more college. Also, having a label for this illness - being able to explain something as, "I have ME" (not using it to get away with things, but as a genuine reason) rather than "Oh, I've got a headache, and a sore throat, and I'm aching like mad all over, and I feel like I'm about to collapse" - would be a lot easier in every day situations.
Original post by Isamin
Someone I used to know had ME. But I'm confused exactly what it is as I hadn't heard of it before until I met this guy.

Now I don't doubt he has it, I'm not a Doctor or scientist so it wouldn't be my place to judge on medical matters. But in this person at least there was a tendency to use it as a scapegoat for everything. When confronted about anything it was typical for him to fall back on the old ME excuse even if it had nothing to do with it. Unless attention seeking can be a psychological symptom of ME?

I tried to keep an open mind about him but it's hard to be sympathetic. Perhaps he did have ME and was just nasty as well.

I think this sums it up nicely. People with ME are individuals and run the spectrum of personality traits. It's therefore fully conceivable that someone, while genuinely suffering, would use their illness as a cover-all excuse for any other failings they may have. I have to say though, that when you do have ME it is very hard to know what is due to ME and what is due to other causes. For example, if I woke up in a state of exhaustion and unable to move despite having had 10 hours sleep, I knew that was a result of my ME. But if I had a splitting headache, was that due to ME or due to just having a splitting headache? Sometimes, it can be impossible to tell and therefore it's convenient to put everything under the ME 'banner.'
Original post by standreams
I don't think most people actively 'want' a particular diagnosis. They go to the doctor, give a truthful and accurate representation of their symptoms, and then trust in the doctor's opinion. <snip>

You'd be suprised at how many people 'want' a diagnosis, 'want ' to be able to justify the sick role , 'want' free money a 'free' car and not to have to bother about nasty things such as getting a job ...

attention seeking takes many forms and factitious illness, somatisation and the exageration of symptoms are fairly common behaviours.

the greatest problem that is faced by people with 'ME' is the broad brush nature of the diagnosis due to a lack of objective clinical or pathology findings - admittedly not helped by the reluctance to perform certain diagnostic tests (e.g. LP), this does a disservice to those who genuinely have things like the post viral syndromes ...
Original post by LuLuM
This thread is hugely upsetting. Do any of you making rude judgements actually have first hand experience of M.E? Well I do.
I was severely affected for 5 years. I had to crawl to the bathroom like a sick dog

this is always an interesting set of behaviours isn't it ... despite being 'unable to move' you always made it to the toilet ...

and i was on a feeding tube for 6 months.

and were there any actual clinical reasons for this or just the fact you were 'unable' to feed yourself ...

I was never depressed. I was a seriously ill young teenager who missed out on years of education to intense nausea, insomnia, heart problems, muscle wastage, chronic pain, migraines, sound and light sensitivity

put anyone on enforced flat bed rest for more than a few days and they'll get nausea, insomnia, joint pain and muscle wastage - not from whatever reason they are on bed rest but because they are on bed rest ...

... I was bed bound and on tramadol for a good many years. Hospitilised 3 times.
So if the poster who said a "good nights sleep" can do wonders would like to come and say that to a REAL sufferer of the worst kind of ME, that would be grand.
Im one of the lucky ones who recover. Others are not so lucky. I still keep in touch with people in the M.E community and many have sadly, been apart of it for decades.

Edit: im aware that not all posters are of the above opinion and im gateful for that. I encountered the above ignorance too many times during my illness though and i take it very personally.

interestingly research has found being part of the 'ME community' is different to being part of a the community in other chronic conditions in that it appears to worsen symptoms and prolong the duration of the syndrome ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Classical Liberal
Just a random thing but with all these stats I hear about how many people have liver cancer, aids, STDs, bowel cancer, lung cancer, diabetes the list is endless (don't forget disabilities)

I think if you actually summed up the so called evidence you would find that nearly everybody in the UK would need to be terminally ill or is severly hampered in life to make the data work.

Most epidemiological stats are actually quite robust (if sometimes misrepresented in the media). For someone to live to the day they die without significant illness is quite unusual in the least.
Original post by Classical Liberal
I just do not see all these sick people everywhere......

This is what one might call the dead pigeon fallacy. I, like most other people, see tens if not hundreds of pigeons everyday. Yet I rarely, if ever, see a dead pigeon. By your logic I must surmise that there is no such thing as a dead pigeon because I don't see them. Unfortunately, many people with medical conditions are either so ill that you don't see them because they are secluded away, or are not openly advertising it. After all, many diseases aren't obvious to the lay eye just by looking at a person.
Original post by zippyRN
You'd be suprised at how many people 'want' a diagnosis, 'want ' to be able to justify the sick role , 'want' free money a 'free' car and not to have to bother about nasty things such as getting a job ...

attention seeking takes many forms and factitious illness, somatisation and the exageration of symptoms are fairly common behaviours.

the greatest problem that is faced by people with 'ME' is the broad brush nature of the diagnosis due to a lack of objective clinical or pathology findings - admittedly not helped by the reluctance to perform certain diagnostic tests (e.g. LP), this does a disservice to those who genuinely have things like the post viral syndromes ...

I accept that there are malingerers- i.e people who seize the slightest illness, demand a diagnosis and then use that to justify getting benefits.

Then there are also people like myself who got ill, didn't want to be ill, but were relieved to find out what was actually wrong with them. I didn't 'want' to get a diagnosis for ME because I didn't want to be ill in the first place. But it was good to get a diagnosis because once you know what is wrong with you, you know how to beat it.

I agree that the 'broad-brush' nature of the diagnosis is detrimental- although in my case I have very little doubt that my diagnosis was the right one. I'd say a greater problem for sufferers is the fact that so many people refuse to accept that it is a real illness with real physical effects. Getting ME was the worst thing which has ever happened to me and what makes it worse is that the stigma means I have never felt comfortable telling people about my illness (even now when I'm healthy again). Even now I'm healthy, the repercussions continue (gaps on CV, relative lack of extracurriculars at school/college, missing out on formative teenage years etc).
ME could just be like autism and is merely a label for many problems due to lazy doctors who can't be bothered to actually find the cause of the problem.

If it wasn't so offensive, this level of ignorance would be laughable.
ME could just be like autism and is merely a label for many problems due to lazy doctors who can't be bothered to actually find the cause of the problem.

Erm....

Are you suggesting Autism isn't a real diagnosis?
Reply 56
Original post by Schemilix
I know two supposedly with ME. One is a skiver and clearly just has lifestyle issues. The other works hard and has to take Wednesdays off. She goes horse riding when she can and seems very cheerful... there's no reason why but she looks exhausted most of the time, and it was triggered by a virus.

I wasn't sure it existed until I talked to her, she does have some kind of chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm sure a lot of people make it up though.

I'm diagnosed as dyspraxic, which I highly doubt. They're diagnose anything these days.

I've been diagnosed as dyspraxic, seems like a load of rubbish to me, just a new way to describe clumsy people :rolleyes:.
Original post by ~D0rkG!rl~
I've been diagnosed as dyspraxic, seems like a load of rubbish to me, just a new way to describe clumsy people :rolleyes:.

Then why bother getting diagnosed. Someone already said it earlier, but these diagnosises arent exactly the easiest things to get, so I dont see why youd go through that if you think its a 'load of rubbish'. :confused:
Reply 58
Original post by LipstickKisses
Then why bother getting diagnosed. Someone already said it earlier, but these diagnosises arent exactly the easiest things to get, so I dont see why youd go through that if you think its a 'load of rubbish'. :confused:

Well I don't know if it was a proper diagnosis as such, during my second year of high school the teachers made me do different assessments due to having poor handwriting and at the end of it they sent my Mum a letter to say I was dyspraxic.
(So being 13 It wasn't really up to me and I chose not to bother with it at sixth form / uni)

I do believe that Dyslexia is a real learning difficulty having seen intelligent people that really struggle with spelling and such, buuuut I don't see how being a bit clumsy counts as a true learning difficulty...
Reply 59
Original post by Captain Crash
Erm....

Are you suggesting Autism isn't a real diagnosis?

Not at all, just that doctors will diagnose specific problems incorrectly as autism.

Original post by LipstickKisses
If it wasn't so offensive, this level of ignorance would be laughable.

The only person who is ignorant is you dear.

Next time do some research before being so rude and ignorant. Why is asking people on TSR to actually have a substantiated opinion so hard ? :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending