The Student Room Group

A-level Subjects for Economics AND Medicine

Now, Im choosing my subjects which I am to continue after GCSE's. for AS and A2. However, I am slightly confused on what path I want to take in future life. I am aware that at this stage, I cant predict too much what I want to do/be, but I have a fairly good idea of what to do. So my problem is as follows:

At my school, I am limited to doing 4As/A2 subjects. I want to keep my options as open as possible, therefore I want to choose subjects that can fall into both categories - Medicine and Economics. However, it seems that for Medicine, you need specific subjects, but if you want to do Economics at uni., there arent any totally essential to-do subjects.

At GCSE's I am expected a strong report - I am doing 12 GCSE's, and have already done one of them (A* in Maths). In the others im predicted to get 7A* and 4A's, total prediction of 8A* and 4A's. Therefore, when applying for Uni, I am aiming for Oxbridge. Therefore, I would like to know what A-level subjects boost the chances of selection.

Currently, I have chosen Maths, Economics, Chemistry for A-level. However I am having confusion with my other subject - I dont know whether I should do Physics or Biology. Im good at both the sciences (mock result both being at 91%), even though I find Physics more interessting and I am slightly better at it overall.

is it essential to do Biology for medicine? I have read on websites that Chemistry is the essential subject for Medicine at Oxbridge. However, will having Biology instead of Physics be any more benefical? Also, Physics is certainly not a requirement for Economics, however, as Physics is fairly logical and maths based - having it should be benifical for Economics as Maths is a requirement.

I would also like to add that I would prefer to do Economics - especially be a Trader (prob FX). I have read about this, and it seems to be something I would really enjoy. Also, it can also pay a LOT of money, something I would want from a job. If I do medicine, I woudnt really want to be a doctor as such, but do research - however, this is a very low paying job.

Please, can you help me decide on what subject I should pick for AS/A2? Any suggestions? Can you also advice me on who to contact to obtain more information for the careers I want to pick in the future?

Cheers
Reply 1
I would strongly recommend taking Biology if you're interested in Medicine as without Biology to at least AS you would severely restrict which medical schools that you could apply for.
Reply 2
TC'87
I would strongly recommend taking Biology if you're interested in Medicine as without Biology to at least AS you would severely restrict which medical schools that you could apply for.

Is physics at all important for an economics degree in top universities?
Reply 3
XxXmowgliXxX
Is physics at all important for an economics degree in top universities?

Maths is the most imporant thing to have, if you can do it further maths will help you alot! I know its alot of pressure but have u considered doing 5 A/S levels til you have made up your mind what your doing, it seems like you could handle it. By the way a language for Oxbridge is very helpful, perhaps moreso than economics would be.
Reply 4
Elipsis
Maths is the most imporant thing to have, if you can do it further maths will help you alot! I know its alot of pressure but have u considered doing 5 A/S levels til you have made up your mind what your doing, it seems like you could handle it. By the way a language for Oxbridge is very helpful, perhaps moreso than economics would be.

Well, you cant do five at my school :frown:
and I have no intentions of keeping on a language... Ah well... Ill get through, somehow :tongue:

Cheers
If I were you, I'd choose:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics/business studies

Bio + Chem -->important for medicine
Maths + Econ --> important for economics
Maths --> falls on both category (it's like hitting 2 birds with one stone)

Out of interest, I wonder if there is a particular job description that combines medicine with economics?
Reply 6
PrincE MarkuS
If I were you, I'd choose:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics/business studies

Bio + Chem -->important for medicine
Maths + Econ --> important for economics
Maths --> falls on both category (it's like hitting 2 birds with one stone)

Thanks a lot, this was something I was going to choose... But im not sure WHY I want to do medicine - prob just influence from family :tongue:
Reply 7
chemistry and biology are essential to AS and at least one at A2 for medicine, at most universities, especially in london, and the top unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending