The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Cornwall Campus?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by UKiwi
Can I ask, did you guys apply to the Cornwall Campus or just get given an offer for there? When I applied for BSc Geography I don't even particularly remember getting given the option to choose... If you specifically decided upon CC, Is there anyway I can check my application for fear of missing this?

I may have just completely forgotten, but I personally only want to go to the Streatham campus and I somehow don't think I would have missed something like this. (No offence intented to those who want to study at the Cornwall Campus whatsoever, it does look lovely, I just get the feeling it'd be too quiet for what I'm looking for from university.)

If it helps, on the my choices section of UCAS Apply it has this: Campus: University of Exeter (Exeter Campuses) (-). I was particularly thorough going through my whole UCAS application so I get the feeling you don't get a choice (at least for this particular subject) and that by 'Exeter Campuses' it means it could be either and is up to the university to decide.

(-) means default campus. You had no choice in the matter because the course is only taught at one campus. Since you chose F800, which you say is taught at Streatham, then the course defaulted to the campuses in the City of Exeter - so you're safe. If you had chosen F804, I would guess that it would have been (-) as well and defaulted to the Cornwall campus.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Original post by Willez
(-) means default campus. You had no choice in the matter because the course is only taught at one campus. Since you chose F800, which you say is taught at Streatham, then the course defaulted to the campuses in the City of Exeter - so you're safe. If you had chosen F804, I would guess that it would have been (-) as well and defaulted to the Cornwall campus.

Thanks for helping me clear that up, that's basically what I came to assume after researching the course codes.
Reply 22
Anyone going to the march 3rd visit day?! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by bnegus
Anyone going to the march 3rd visit day?! :smile:

i am :smile: but doing geography! am v excited to see the campus again-have you been before?
Reply 24
Original post by boostar1
i am :smile: but doing geography! am v excited to see the campus again-have you been before?

Ah wicked. No havent been before, been to cornwall but not there :smile: where are you travelling from? Ohh studying geography will be brilliant in cornwall :smile: is it going to be your firm do you think??
Reply 25
Original post by bnegus
Ah wicked. No havent been before, been to cornwall but not there :smile: where are you travelling from? Ohh studying geography will be brilliant in cornwall :smile: is it going to be your firm do you think??

i went in october and it was so sunny and great! I didnt really look round the campus though, kind of got distracted by the beach! :rolleyes: i live in shropshire, so itl be quite a long journey, what about you? im pretty sure yes, so long as i get a B in my biology on wednesday! i hope so, do you like cornwall? :smile:
Reply 26
i went in october and it was so sunny and great! I didnt really look round the campus though, kind of got distracted by the beach! :rolleyes: i live in shropshire, so itl be quite a long journey, what about you? im pretty sure yes, so long as i get a B in my biology on wednesday! i hope so, do you like cornwall? :smile:

Aha the beach is distracting :P thats what i think i will love most if i go there :smile:

well i got rejected from LSE today so there is a very strong chance that i will go there yes.. but it depends, i applied to kings too and havent heard anything back from them because i was able to change from UEA to kings because of the fee reviews some unis did and you had the chance to change.. and i only did that the other day, so i will probably be waiting a while for kings lol.

BUT even then, its either city life of life by sea and the beach and in a quiet town so i need to decide.. but i love Cornwall yes :smile: it's one of my favourite places, that's why i picked the Cornwall campus :smile: i'll be coming from kent so aggeesss away, the other side of the country! how you getting there? :smile:

btw, what geography exam board are you with?

(p.s sorry for the essay!)
Reply 27
Original post by bnegus
Aha the beach is distracting :P thats what i think i will love most if i go there :smile:

well i got rejected from LSE today so there is a very strong chance that i will go there yes.. but it depends, i applied to kings too and havent heard anything back from them because i was able to change from UEA to kings because of the fee reviews some unis did and you had the chance to change.. and i only did that the other day, so i will probably be waiting a while for kings lol.

BUT even then, its either city life of life by sea and the beach and in a quiet town so i need to decide.. but i love Cornwall yes :smile: it's one of my favourite places, that's why i picked the Cornwall campus :smile: i'll be coming from kent so aggeesss away, the other side of the country! how you getting there? :smile:

btw, what geography exam board are you with?

(p.s sorry for the essay!)

i love the sea! like all the unis i applied to are on the coast :smile: oh that sucks, did you want to go there? i think i want the quiet-ish but lively town by the sea :smile: oh that is quite far-i think il go by train, will probably be about 9 hours o.O kent looks nice!

ehm i think its aqa-i have exams in the next week with them! have you got exams?
hah no problem
Reply 28

ehm i think its aqa-i have exams in the next week with them! have you got exams?
hah no problem

Eww I have the AIB (GEOG4B) in a couple of weeks. DNW.

PS. Since you're going to the geog post-offer visit day, please tell me what you think about it!
Reply 29
Original post by AbiSmith93
Eww I have the AIB (GEOG4B) in a couple of weeks. DNW.

PS. Since you're going to the geog post-offer visit day, please tell me what you think about it!

oh yeah-on Poole? not looking forward to that one...! i have the skills paper retake on Tuesday as well, so am trying to cram massively! good luck!

okay, will do!
Reply 30
oh yeah-on Poole? not looking forward to that one...! i have the skills paper retake on Tuesday as well, so am trying to cram massively! good luck!

okay, will do!

Ha, as a matter of fact I have the skills retake on Tuesday as well...weird!
Reply 31
Ha, as a matter of fact I have the skills retake on Tuesday as well...weird!

its difficult to revise for! not keen on the mathsy stuff :confused:
Reply 32
its difficult to revise for! not keen on the mathsy stuff :confused:

I'm not too worried about it, just so bored of revising for it (and school in general...)
Reply 33
I have an AAB offer for BSc geography at ECC! :biggrin:

I think I want to firm it but I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the course and the campus! The good things, any bad things, what you think of it overall etc.

Im a first year geographer, a bit late to reply but yeah!

So far in the first year there has been quite a bias, imo, towards human geography which I personally do not like. Or maybe I should say there is not enough focus on physical geography...

This first year you will more than likely have only 1 proper physical module (this year it was 'Earth System Science') which is a general overview of physical geog, from geology to atmospheres to hazards etc. The other modules in term 1 were one other human based one called 'Society Nature Space' which has a fantastic lecturer taking it, but it is very different to A level. The other was scientific data analysis which may as well be called Statistics (weekly online tests and all that, not very popular with us :tongue:) Brush up on your maths and excel skills for it! Its fairly tricky but kinda essential for years 2 and 3 imo.

This term we only have 2 modules, one is 'Approaches to Geographical Knowledge' which is very much based on philosophies and histories of science. I find it kinda dull and irrelevant to be honest. Its only week 2 so it may get better. Secondly is 'Investigating People and Place' which is human based but it is much more focussed on the practical side of things, plus there are weekly seminars so it makes a change from lectures. Fortunately we only have 3 exams for year 1 come late spring which is nice.

Running throughout the year are tutorials that we have once per fortnight, again much of the work we do in this feels irrelevant and a bit pointless often talking about geography as a subject and its place in the world etc Some people like tutorials others dont.

One thing that took a lot of us by surprise was the workload, in term one we had 5 essays on top of reading, tutorial assignments and weekly stats tests. I think we had about 12-13 hours contact time per week. Term 2 seems a bit less intense, I think we only have 3 or 4 essays but more reading and group work, contact time wise we only have 7-8 hours.

Please dont let this put you off though because in years 2 and 3 the modules get a lot more interesting (to a physical geographer anyway :tongue:) plus the field trips are supposedly very good. Some of the 'physical' based lecturers are some of the best in their field apparently and are all very approachable and friendly. Double check what modules you do for your year though as it may change. I know our year has a disproportionately high number of BSc's compared to BA's so it may well be slightly different next year for you guys.

Lecture sizes are around 40-50 which is very good, there is usually a bit of back and forth between students and lecturers which is quite rare for 1st year classes imo. The size of the classes are very small, plus everything feels more personal and you feel that you arent just a face in the crowd.

Overall the course in year is okay. But I know it will get better once we can choose what we want to do in years 2 + 3! :biggrin:

Hope that helps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
As for living down here, being a surfer I love it :tongue:

The halls, while pricey, are very nice. Double beds, en suite (with heated towel rail :eek:), decent showers and tv's in the kitchens. I think there are around 1500 people living on campus and everyone knows everyone, you can walk across campus and be almost guaranteed to bump into a familiar face, same goes for when you are in town.

Personally I find the nightlife okay, there are lots of pubs and quirky bars in Falmouth each with their own character. The Stannary events are good fun and they are always organising events. Make sure you go to all the freshers events at the Stannary! There is 1 proper club which everyone usually ends up in at the end of the night, lets just say you dont want to go in there sober :tongue:. If you are into clubbing look elsewhere tbh. During the day I love it again there are lots of small quirky shops which are all interesting to have a look in. If you want lots of high street stores a trip to Truro is probably a better bet. Although there are a few more bigger stores opening up in Fal.

Sometimes I feel a bit isolated on campus if you want to explore deeper into Cornwall it can be a bit tricky without a car. Getting into Falmouth/Penryn and Truro is easy enough and all the travel is dead cheap. Campus to Falmouth is 60p single on the bus. Once in Falmouth the beach is a 15 min walk away. If you are a surfer a car is invaluable as minibus trips are infrequent and a bit pricey.
Reply 35
I'm not too worried about it, just so bored of revising for it (and school in general...)

how did you think it went? i did it as a retake and i think it was better than last time, althouhg some of the first part were a bit strange!
Reply 36
how did you think it went? i did it as a retake and i think it was better than last time, although some of the first part were a bit strange!

I think it went ok, although the Question 2 questions were a bit weird...we'll just have to wait and see I guess! Am now far more worried about AIB and the 2 General Studies exams I want to do well in even though none of my offers are including Gen Studs :P
Reply 37
I think it went ok, although the Question 2 questions were a bit weird...we'll just have to wait and see I guess! Am now far more worried about AIB and the 2 General Studies exams I want to do well in even though none of my offers are including Gen Studs :P

yeah me too-the secondary data one most people found strange i think! aha yes the AIB is worrying me..trying to revise but its more difficult to revise for than others :smile: hope you do well, this geography will be my 4th exam :eek:
Reply 38
yeah me too-the secondary data one most people found strange i think! aha yes the AIB is worrying me..trying to revise but its more difficult to revise for than others :smile: hope you do well, this geography will be my 4th exam :eek:

The AIB is sooo hard to revise for, lol. Me too! Although 2 of them are general studies, lol. Good luck!
Reply 39
The AIB is sooo hard to revise for, lol. Me too! Although 2 of them are general studies, lol. Good luck!

it really is! ive found a thread on here if you type in AIB that has helped a bit but i still feel very unsure! Aaand i dont want to retake this :s-smilie: how are you going to revise do you reckon? thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending