Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changes to theory test from January 2012

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As seen in the title there are going to be changes to the theory test from Jan 12. The proposed changes are going to result in the tests not containing questions that have been seen on the published learning material.

My question is the following, does the theory test contain (right now, before these changes) identical questions to those that have published in learning material, are they the same?

If the test was failed first time, and you took it a second time, would there be a different set of questions?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil90974)
    As seen in the title there are going to be changes to the theory test from Jan 12. The proposed changes are going to result in the tests not containing questions that have been seen on the published learning material.

My question is the following, does the theory test contain (right now, before these changes) identical questions to those that have published in learning material, are they the same?

If the test was failed first time, and you took it a second time, would there be a different set of questions?
    I'd imagine there's a large database of questions so you're not gaurenteed to get the same/similar ones, they presumably just randomise the questions and don't bother check whether people have sat it before or not. I don't actually know though.

Most of the questions you can find online and in the books are as good as the same, or very much on the same lines. The theory test has so much regurgitation in it though, I don't see how it's that avoidable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    At present there is a database of questions and when you take your test you get allocated random questions from this database.
    Indeed if you had to retake the test again it would be the same database of questions and again you'd be allocated a set of random questions from this database.

Currently DVD/CD-ROM's, theory test books contain the whole database of questions and answers best of all they have the exact worded questions with the exact worded answers (also I believe the answers are displayed in the same in order).

As the DVD/CD-ROM has the exact wording - if you went through the DVD/CD-ROM a few times you will eventaully get to the point where your memory will kickin after reading the first 3 words of the question and know the answer instantly.
    If you keep going through the DVD/CD-ROM you will get to the point where you could answer all the questions on the database successfully within approx 1hr.
    Obviously when you take the test do not be cocky about it and take your time to make sure you are correct but you will find your gut-instinct will lead you to answer the questions very quickly and condifentially due to going through the DVD/CD-ROM numerous times.

This is probably why they have finally decided to change it, because people are not learning and retaining the information simply using the DVD/CD-ROM's as mentioned above
    They cannot avoid asking some questions but they can word them differently and change the multiple choice answers and word them differenty.
    Also if the learning materials DVD/CD-ROM and books are not going to be accurate to the database it means you cannot revise as mentioned above.
    They are now actually going to make people think, understand and retain
    Would you recommend taking the test before the end of the year then? Because there is an available slot for the 29th Dec for me
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend taking the test before the end of the year then? Because there is an available slot for the 29th Dec for me
    I got mine on the 28 december, id rather get it out the way incase its harder, so you should do the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "From 23 January 2012 the theory test will be made up of multiple-choice questions which are no longer published in learning materials."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/stories/dsa-news-20111212
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    "From 23 January 2012 the theory test will be made up of multiple-choice questions which are no longer published in learning materials."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/stories/dsa-news-20111212
    Its definitely from 23rd? most sites say 1st jan cause i might take it before then instead of in december.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is what I thought myself, the 1st. But the 23rd has come straight from the horse's mouth hasnt it?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is what I thought myself, the 1st. But the 23rd has come straight from the horse's mouth hasnt it?
    I guess it has, looks like ill be changing my date than. cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That news update was only published 2 days ago as well. I think some of the other websites published with info about it being the 1st much earlier
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    That news update was only published 2 days ago as well. I think some of the other websites published with info about it being the 1st much earlier
    Oh right cause i booked mine about 2 weeks ago and im currently not driving cause i stopped a year ago so thought may as well do it now seeing as i have the books and cd and stuff.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just emailed the DFT/DSA to check it's definitely the 23rd but I think I'm going to go ahead and book it for before then anyway. I have January exams (which, ironically, begin on the 24th) but I just want to get it out of the way.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickD)
    Just emailed the DFT/DSA to check it's definitely the 23rd but I think I'm going to go ahead and book it for before then anyway. I have January exams (which, ironically, begin on the 24th) but I just want to get it out of the way.
    if you search on google 23rd january theory test change it says there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got mine booked as well
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got mine booked as well
    When is yours? i changed mine to 14th january at 5.30pm.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either way, you should be able to pass it if you're a competent learner regardless of how they change it...

I had a similar choice when they first changed the practical test last year (to include 'independent driving'). I ended up just booking it for a ~week after it changed. Didn't really see the point in cramming it in before, as a driver you should be able to take any situation - although the theory perhaps isn't quite so important in that respect.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Theory test booked for the 13th January at 8.00am.

Not a perfect date seeing as I have exams 11 days later but I need to get it out of the way, otherwise I'll be ready to take my practical and won't be able to!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine's tomorrow at 10am - boom

Edit: Passed - 47/50 and 63/75 - pretty easy, finished in 20 minutes!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought the theory test was going to change from 1st January do they just say it to make us panic?
    am glad I read this thread now am going to book my theory test for this month
    Thanks guys
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim12345)
    I thought the theory test was going to change from 1st January do they just say it to make us panic?
    am glad I read this thread now am going to book my theory test for this month
    Thanks guys
    Officially it changes from the 23rd jan i had my originally for 28 dec but after reading that its till 23rd i changed it to the 14th jan so i have more chance to prepare.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i probably will get my provisional licence soon... so would it be best for me to book it like on jan 15 or something, somewhere in the middle to give me enough time for a retake if all goes wrong (eeek)?

btw were do you book the test? with company's like red, rac, aa etc?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.