The Student Room Group

I would like to know: Which A level courses are suitable for a future in economics?:)

Yeah..I would like to know which a level subjects are best for a future in economics ( so i just said the thread title :colondollar:) as i would like to go on and study economics in uni?

Your help is MUCH MUCH needed ...thanks :smile:
Economics, Maths, Further Maths if possible and any subject of your choice
Reply 2
Best would be Maths, Further Maths and Economics. You can choose anything you want for your 4th.
Reply 3
Maths obviously, Perhaps further maths or statistics or something similar if you college offers it. Economics is available for some as A level, but not sure how helpful it is.
Check UCAS and see if Economics courses have any requirements, and some universities will specify this.
If there is a specific area of economics that you think you'd like to go into as well, it might be worth giving a try, so for example if you want to do political economics, politics or history might be an option. Or perhaps in business, then business studies.
Maths, Further Maths, Economics (as others have also stated) but I do Economics and I find it really relevant with Politics and Geography as well - what I've learnt in them lessons I have also applied in my Economics exams/essays etc and vice versa. :smile:
Reply 5
Oww man... I was kinda hoping people wouldn't say further maths because i'm terrified of the amount of work i'd have to do to get a decent grade.

i'm kinda thinking of changing my mind about Economics, actually. The reason being because i recently did a maths exam, and though i got an A and B in my previous REAL exams, I did absolutely horrendously in the mock exam. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
Reply 6
Original post by Sugahoneyice

One mocks don't matter much just try and do better in the real thing and most unis only want maths at a level not even economics only top 10 want further maths so all you need to take is regular maths
Reply 7
Maths is probably more important but I would highly recommend you take Economics as I was considering it but the A Level changed my mind, you don't wanna regret it ;P
I'd say economics, maths, further maths - any of these will set you up :smile: plus something you're interested in which could go together nicely with your choices but also be relevant i.e. business studies? It's up to you and what you're interested in. You could also look at universities and see what the requirements are?
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Sugahoneyice
Yeah..I would like to know which a level subjects are best for a future in economics ( so i just said the thread title :colondollar:) as i would like to go on and study economics in uni?

Your help is MUCH MUCH needed ...thanks :smile:

Maths, Economics, Fmaths, then perhaps science/history/geography. Maybe 5AS if you choose further maths as an option...just ideas.
As well as Maths, Further Maths and Econ, you could go for a science - physics or chem maybe? :smile: I do maths, further maths, econ and physics. Dropped chem last year; it was horrible!
POLITICS

Honestly, no joke. You'll do macroeconomics and microeconomics in your A level course. Politics will help you pro the macroeconomics - I'm not the best economist in my economics class, but I got the highest mark in the macroeconomics paper due to reading loads about politics and international affairs etc - I got 96%.

So definitely do politics - it's the most connected thing to economics.

I'd tell you to do Economics, Maths, Government and Politics, and then probably Geography or Further Maths. (Geography will help you with your economics A level more, Further Maths will push you into those top unis).

Good luck :smile:

Oh, and if you haven't got an A in maths at GCSE, retake it. You'll need it when you come to apply, trust me. I was going to apply for Economics+Politics but all the top unis want at leasat a B in GCSE maths, some even higher than that.

Quick Reply

Latest