The Student Room Group

Can college force me to continue with AS Biology?

Greetings all

Last year I took AS Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths at my Sixth Form. Due to personal circumstances, I failed Biology and Chemistry and achieved a B in Maths.

I decided to retake the year at a local college for AS Chemistry and AS Biology whilst simultaneously continuing Maths at A2; I also picked up AS Physics (I didn't do it last year).

I was originally planning to do a law related degree but now I have decided I want to do Mechanical Engineering. After e-mailing several universities, I found out that my D in AS Biology will not affect my application as long as I meet their entry requirements so therefore I decided it would be better to drop Biology and focus on my other A-Levels.

Last week I approached my Tutor and Biology teacher at college, and told them of my decision. They said that it was fine and that I just needed to speak to the Head of Science. So I went and spoke to the Head of Science who also said it is fine as long as I had thought about it...

The next day, I was suddenly told that I can't drop AS Biology as it will ''affect the statistics which the the principal will see''; so they are basically trying to force me to do AS Biology even though I am already doing 3 other AS Levels (which is the minimum).

They claim its ''too late'' to drop now, but I refuse to believe this as I have not been entered for any January exams (AS students do exams in June) and so I should be allowed to drop out right?

I approached my tutor today and argued with her, and she said that there are reasons which she isn't ''allowed to tell me'' that prevent me from dropping it!

A fellow student told me that a student dropping out affects the record of a teacher or something?

I half-threatened my tutor that I would complain to the principal, and suddenly she was pleading me not to. She was saying ''please don't do that'', why are they so scared of me doing this? Surely if they are abiding by official policy they wouldn't mind me approaching the principal?

Can my college force me to continue AS Biology?
BTW I am predicted at least AAB in the other subjects so they cannot claim that if I drop Biology I might not have sufficient A levels if I do not pass the others..

Thanks in advance...
Reply 1
It will cost the college money if you drop this course

NB
No way do I endorse their decision I am simply pointing out the situation
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
It will cost the college money if you drop this course

NB
No way do I endorse their decision I am simply pointing out the situation

so can the college force me to continue or not?
Reply 3
In theory they can say do the course or leave :frown:

Depends what their minimum requirement is ... at my school we do have a minimum expectation of 4 courses in Y12 and 3 in Y13 and people have to apply to drop below this ... then it is rare that we accept that ... this is because our funding is affected by people who are not full-time equivalent

We do make this very clear from the get go ... it would appear that your college have intimated that 3 courses is acceptable
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
It does cost them money to run this course and it costs them too for having you on it individually. They get LSC funding for you (assuming you are under 19)

They cannot stop you from not turning up and therefore not sitting the exam in Biology but I think you will have a little bit of trouble though :erm:

They may introduce disciplinary procedures with a view to removing you from College all together or set conditions that you aren't allowed back in the second year.

I know at my college a girl wanted to drop Economics but our tutor said she is heavily discouraged from dropping it. Just get an E at least so it doesn't look too bad for Uni admissions.
Reply 5
Original post by sabre2th1
so can the college force me to continue or not?

see my post above
They can't force you to stay in it. It's your own free will of whether you attend the lessons or not. Just tell them that either you formally drop the course, or you stop turning up, and they can choose which looks better on their statistics. My college is a bit like this too, things with statistics and whatnot, but in the end it's your choice, and they can't physically force you to go to the lessons. :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by Amwazicles
They can't force you to stay in it. It's your own free will of whether you attend the lessons or not. Just tell them that either you formally drop the course, or you stop turning up, and they can choose which looks better on their statistics. My college is a bit like this too, things with statistics and whatnot, but in the end it's your choice, and they can't physically force you to go to the lessons. :dontknow:

the minimum at my college is 3.. What I find weird is that they agreed to me dropping, all 3 teachers I asked did (including the head of science), then later changed their minds, btw thanks for the help
Original post by sabre2th1
the minimum at my college is 3.. What I find weird is that they agreed to me dropping, all 3 teachers I asked did (including the head of science), then later changed their minds, btw thanks for the help

It does sound a bit odd. Probably it was something like they didn't realise it was past the 'deadline', then when they were told/found out that it was, they had to backtrack. Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Amwazicles
It does sound a bit odd. Probably it was something like they didn't realise it was past the 'deadline', then when they were told/found out that it was, they had to backtrack. Good luck anyway :smile:

thanks, hopefully they won't kick me out of college for refusing to attend, and they'll probably stop my EMA payments which I literally survive on :colondollar:
Reply 10
I would just keep talking to your teachers about it. If they refuse to let you drop it, which I doubt, just go along to the lessons to get your EMA but don't do the work.
Original post by hideousnight
I would just keep talking to your teachers about it. If they refuse to let you drop it, which I doubt, just go along to the lessons to get your EMA but don't do the work.

If he/she does that then they will be entered in for the exam, which they will have to attend or risk receiving a U on Results Day?
Original post by hideousnight

Are you aware that EMA payments depend on active attendance, not just attendance,
Reply 13
Go to the princapal then! If worse comes to worse then just refuse to go to any lessons/the exam lol

Quick Reply

Latest