The Student Room Group

Medicine 2012 hopeful entrants II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5360
Original post by Tzarchasm
I'm currently on a gap year and got an offer at King's... somehow. Did you get any interviews?

Oh congrats!! :smile: Just one (Barts) :colondollar:

Original post by manic_fuzz
Oooh well done! :biggrin:

Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by Revent
Oh congrats!! :smile: Just one (Barts) :colondollar:

Thanks!! :smile:

Thanks! :redface:

Don't worry. I only had one interview last year and that was at Barts. I didn't prepare properly and just gave generally poor answers. This was what I did for this year.

Preparation for interviews

Books:

Medical School Interviews (By George Lee and Olivier Picard (ISCmedical)):

I used this book a lot! In actual fact, I think I answered every question. It's a brilliant book that shows you how to build answers that appear structured, giving the impression to the interviewers that you know what you're talking about it. Their sample answers are theoretically good and you will be overwhelmed when you answer the questions yourself and make a comparison; however, their sample answers are incredibly contrived so don't worry.

Succeed in Your Medical School Interview (Dr Christopher See):

I bought this book as an 'insurance'. They're incredibly similar, however, this book provides you with additional questions that don't appear in the former book. I suppose it also gives you a different perspective in how to answer certain questions.

Medical Ethics (Tony Hope):

If you're genuinely interested in the ethical aspects of medicine or if you know that your interviews place a particular emphasis on ethics then this book should be good. It isn't necessarily needed, however, it does give you a very detailed understanding of medical ethics.

What I did with these resources:

My first protocol was to divide the questions into sections. You'll see a certain style;

1) Motivation/Insight into medicine
2) Skills
3) Knowledge/understanding of common themes in medicine
4) Ethical principles

After doing so, I read the beginning part of both books: How to make your answers interesting. These books both place a significant importance on how you should structure your personalised answers and to be fair, it's the personalised and structured answers that get the offers.

I made my way through each question, gaining the knowledge and understanding in order to answer each of them effectively. After I read the books, I typed up my answers to each question on Word; of course, each answer wasn't word to word, they were general ideas bullet-pointed.

Doing the above will place you at a massive advantage!

Courses:

ISCmedical

I attended the group course. I personally felt that it was really good, especially if you needed to build up your confidence. It is expensive, however, for me money was no object as all I ever wanted was just an 'offer'. To some, I don't think it could be much use however, for me, I gathered the initial confidence that I was able to build up on.

Research:

It is paramount that you invest time in finding more about your universities. I visited King's a couple of weeks before my actual interview and it genuinely motivated me to work just a wee bit harder for my interview. Not only that, you'll find out more about your university by talking to other medical students and seeing it for yourself; read the prospectus, and find out what other people have to say about it, read threads on forums, look at the student unions/clubs and find out what your university has to offer to you, read up on any new research conducted by that university, learn the course structure.

And of course, you should be doing some light-reading anyway. Read up on any current issues using BBC health, Telegraph health, BMA and so on. Whenever I read an article that interested me, I'd write it back up on my notepad, dated it and sourced it. Hence, highlighting the importance of keeping organised by keeping folders of any articles you've read up on.

Personal statement

Know your personal statement inside out! Any diseases you talked about, you must know everything about them; the screening, prognosis, treatment, diagnosis, etc,. You'd also have to be prepared to talk about anything on your personal statement in great depth.

Most importantly; remain calm, keep smiling and show them how much it means to you!
Reply 5362
Original post by Tzarchasm
Thanks! :redface:

Don't worry. I only had one interview last year and that was at Barts. I didn't prepare properly and just gave generally poor answers. This was what I did for this year.

Preparation for interviews

Books:

Medical School Interviews (By George Lee and Olivier Picard (ISCmedical)):

I used this book a lot! In actual fact, I think I answered every question. It's a brilliant book that shows you how to build answers that appear structured, giving the impression to the interviewers that you know what you're talking about it. Their sample answers are theoretically good and you will be overwhelmed when you answer the questions yourself and make a comparison; however, their sample answers are incredibly contrived so don't worry.

Succeed in Your Medical School Interview (Dr Christopher See):

I bought this book as an 'insurance'. They're incredibly similar, however, this book provides you with additional questions that don't appear in the former book. I suppose it also gives you a different perspective in how to answer certain questions.

Medical Ethics (Tony Hope):

If you're genuinely interested in the ethical aspects of medicine or if you know that your interviews place a particular emphasis on ethics then this book should be good. It isn't necessarily needed, however, it does give you a very detailed understanding of medical ethics.

What I did with these resources:

My first protocol was to divide the questions into sections. You'll see a certain style;

1) Motivation/Insight into medicine
2) Skills
3) Knowledge/understanding of common themes in medicine
4) Ethical principles

After doing so, I read the beginning part of both books: How to make your answers interesting. These books both place a significant importance on how you should structure your personalised answers and to be fair, it's the personalised and structured answers that get the offers.

I made my way through each question, gaining the knowledge and understanding in order to answer each of them effectively. After I read the books, I typed up my answers to each question on Word; of course, each answer wasn't word to word, they were general ideas bullet-pointed.

Doing the above will place you at a massive advantage!

Courses:

ISCmedical

I attended the group course. I personally felt that it was really good, especially if you needed to build up your confidence. It is expensive, however, for me money was no object as all I ever wanted was just an 'offer'. To some, I don't think it could be much use however, for me, I gathered the initial confidence that I was able to build up on.

Research:

It is paramount that you invest time in finding more about your universities. I visited King's a couple of weeks before my actual interview and it genuinely motivated me to work just a wee bit harder for my interview. Not only that, you'll find out more about your university by talking to other medical students and seeing it for yourself; read the prospectus, and find out what other people have to say about it, read threads on forums, look at the student unions/clubs and find out what your university has to offer to you, read up on any new research conducted by that university, learn the course structure.

And of course, you should be doing some light-reading anyway. Read up on any current issues using BBC health, Telegraph health, BMA and so on. Whenever I read an article that interested me, I'd write it back up on my notepad, dated it and sourced it. Hence, highlighting the importance of keeping organised by keeping folders of any articles you've read up on.

Personal statement

Know your personal statement inside out! Any diseases you talked about, you must know everything about them; the screening, prognosis, treatment, diagnosis, etc,. You'd also have to be prepared to talk about anything on your personal statement in great depth.

Most importantly; remain calm, keep smiling and show them how much it means to you!

Thanks so much!! :smile: I'll definitely be getting those books and actually already have medical ethics :smile: I'll definitely be doing everything you've mentioned on this. Not sure about that course though, it is a bit pricey after all :p: But yeah, definitely going to read the prospectus's this time around and prepare properly! Thanks a million :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
Entered myself into the Easter baking/cooking competition :colondollar: :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952472&page=6&p=36962121#post36962121

:h:

Omg yum! :awesome:

Now I expect you to come to my house and bake me cakes - whether you want to or not :colone:
Omg yum! :awesome:

Now I expect you to come to my house and bake me cakes - whether you want to or not :colone:

Haha thanks :awesome:

Oh is it now? :colone: :colone: :colone:
Haha thanks :awesome:

Oh is it now? :colone: :colone: :colone:

Absolutely! You start tomorrow at 0900. You shall be paid in empty yoghurt pots and egg-shells :biggrin:
Absolutely! You start tomorrow at 0900. You shall be paid in empty yoghurt pots and egg-shells :biggrin:

LOL LMAO :rofl3:
Reply 5367
Ahhhhhh just found not one, but TWO frogs in the house :eek: :frown:

Me and my brother found on upstairs whilst my mum and dad found one downstairs by chance at the same time... so on edge now! No sleep for me :'(

... Just thought I'd share this with you all :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93

Me and my brother found on upstairs whilst my mum and dad found one downstairs by chance at the same time... so on edge now! No sleep for me :'(

:lolwut:

Why are there frogs just creeping around your house?! Do you live in a pond!? :eek:

On a somewhat similar note... my neighbour's cat keeps walking into my room :K:
Reply 5369
:lolwut: That's a bit weird :rofl:
Was up till late last night helping my brother with his GCSE Stats :yawn:

Slightly odd, that story :laugh:

lol my cat went through a stage of adoring frogs. he used to play with them by letting them hop away and then picking them up and putting them back and letting them hop away again :tongue: he also used to carry them around in his mouth like a pet :biggrin:

although he'd regularly get bored of them so we'd have to rescue them once he put them down and put them in the neighbours pond :tongue: i found one once underneath our couch, poor thing was covered in dust!
Hypothetically, if you haven't made your mind up about whether or not you want to do medicine or physics. Could you do a physics degree and then go into medicine if you decided it wasn't for you?
Reply 5373
Original post by David Young
Hypothetically, if you haven't made your mind up about whether or not you want to do medicine or physics. Could you do a physics degree and then go into medicine if you decided it wasn't for you?

Yes. But your choices will be limited because of a non-medically related degree.
Emergency! Emergency!
Emergency! Emergency!

Ya huh?
Reply 5376
Emergency! Emergency!

o.O ?
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Ya huh?

Original post by Vulpes
o.O ?

Hi, err :colondollar:

I need to talk to someone ASAP who is patient, not judge-mental, can remain objective, mature, and have an open-minded view of the world and of situations..especially weird ones..:erm:

I need to talk to someone ASAP who is patient, not judge-mental, can remain objective, mature, and have an open-minded view of the world and of situations..especially weird ones..:erm:

This sounds strangely interesting :ninja: I hope nothing bad's happened! :redface:
Reply 5379

:frown:

Can't help you soz. Quite busy atm. Hope you find someone to talk to! :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending