The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 5 Bio exam discussion (31 Jan 2012)

Hey, I have been looking around for a thread where we can discuss on Unit 5 Biology for the upcoming exam in Jan 2012 here. But, I couldn't find it so I decided to create one. If there is already one, please tell. Thanks.

So, the same old question, how is the revision going on people ?

Any questions, feel free to post here :smile: Thanks.

I have a question, I believe most of you have gotten the scientific article, and so it is a lot on the Brain topic. I was wondering, if that is so, will the questions on brain appear on other part of the paper? (The part where it is worth 60 marks)

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by leogirl1992
Hey, I have been looking around for a thread where we can discuss on Unit 5 Biology for the upcoming exam in Jan 2012 here. But, I couldn't find it so I decided to create one. If there is already one, please tell. Thanks.

So, the same old question, how is the revision going on people ?

Any questions, feel free to post here :smile: Thanks.

I have a question, I believe most of you have gotten the scientific article, and so it is a lot on the Brain topic. I was wondering, if that is so, will the questions on brain appear on other part of the paper? (The part where it is worth 60 marks)

Thanks in advance!

can u please attach the scientific article here :smile:

thankyou
Reply 2
Original post by aym3n
can u please attach the scientific article here :smile:

thankyou

sure, no problem . here you are . :smile: hope it helps.
Reply 3

oh thankyouu soo much...i was trying to find it everywhere :smile:...hw is ur prep going?
Reply 4
Original post by aym3n
oh thankyouu soo much...i was trying to find it everywhere :smile:...hw is ur prep going?

no problem,glad to help :smile:
prep is okay, but I wish I have more motivation. I was really motivated at the start of my semester, but now it is fading :/ I really gotta get to my feet and get started. :smile:

go go go go go go go :smile:
Reply 5
no problem,glad to help :smile:
prep is okay, but I wish I have more motivation. I was really motivated at the start of my semester, but now it is fading :/ I really gotta get to my feet and get started. :smile:

go go go go go go go :smile:

haha well i feel the same but atleast im more motivated for A2 than i was for AS and surprisingly i find A2 course much intresting than AS. i just finished 5.3 :tongue:.... haha good luck with that :smile:
Reply 6
can anyone tell me if we have to learn the bone structure and the names for muscles and movement?
Reply 7
Original post by aym3n
can anyone tell me if we have to learn the bone structure and the names for muscles and movement?

the bone structure, as in the name of the bone and where they located? Umm,I think it is good to know it but I am not so sure about knowing all that, but I think the things you need to remember is about is the silding filament theory and also which pair of muscle is antagonistic.

Oh for the names of the muscle, if you mean the sacromere etc , then YES you must learn it and make sure you know where is it and which is it. it is very important esp when it comes to describing the sliding filament theory,

Good luck and happy new year :biggrin: and hope this helps
Reply 8
the bone structure, as in the name of the bone and where they located? Umm,I think it is good to know it but I am not so sure about knowing all that, but I think the things you need to remember is about is the silding filament theory and also which pair of muscle is antagonistic.

Oh for the names of the muscle, if you mean the sacromere etc , then YES you must learn it and make sure you know where is it and which is it. it is very important esp when it comes to describing the sliding filament theory,

Good luck and happy new year :biggrin: and hope this helps

lol thanks but i meant the other parts of the bone like the patella and femur...but anyways i asked my sir and he said no we dont have to learn that :smile:
Reply 9

I think this time the atricle is much more easier than the last time one which i did !! :frown:

any way will try to discuss this i will always ther to help you guys ! i will not be doing this exams as i have completed my A2 !!

So let us start disusing this soon !!!
Reply 10
Original post by dush_2
I think this time the atricle is much more easier than the last time one which i did !! :frown:

any way will try to discuss this i will always ther to help you guys ! i will not be doing this exams as i have completed my A2 !!

So let us start disusing this soon !!!

thanks sooooooo much!!!!!
Reply 11
Anyone have a sample Q&A for the scientific article or any summary or notes for it?
I found all these for june 2011 but not jan 2012.
Reply 12
Original post by farhanyen
Anyone have a sample Q&A for the scientific article or any summary or notes for it?
I found all these for june 2011 but not jan 2012.

not yet...
Reply 13
I have a question. why does L-dopa can pass through and reach the brain cells but dopamine cannot?
Reply 14
L-dopa can pass through the blood brain barrier while dopamine cannot. Its all in the A2 student book and.....after checking the spec., I think thats as deep as you need to know it for a level. further details are not needed much like the rest of the SNAB course.
Reply 15
http://www.edheads.org/activities/brain_stimulation/
this pretty much sums up the DBS procedure
Reply 16
L-dopa can pass through the blood brain barrier while dopamine cannot. Its all in the A2 student book and.....after checking the spec., I think thats as deep as you need to know it for a level. further details are not needed much like the rest of the SNAB course.

Yeah, I only know until what you have mentioned here. okay, thanks again. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by aym3n
not yet...

So you mean you're creating a set?
Reply 18
So you mean you're creating a set?

well nope i mean that i have to still discuss this article with my tutor who will make a set of questions.... :tongue:
Reply 19

ahan i believe there is alot for unit 5 that isnt required by the specification..but then im weird and i litreally am learning every single thing cz the last time i prepared my As with the specification...i ended up getting a C so yeah...atleast make sure u guys have some idea about it....because it may not be in the spec..but u may have to apply the idea of it in some question so yeah.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending