The Student Room Group

Student finance for twins

ive currently applied for manchester met university and my twin has applied for manchester met and a few other places.

how does this affect student finance ?

my family income is high so i wont get grants or anything.

will we be judged differently for finance because our parents will have to surport 2 children at the same time for 3 years rather than 1

hope someone can help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doesn't affect student finance at all. It's only based on income, not situation.
Reply 2
If your family income is high, why are you worrying about student finance?
Reply 3
Nope, you won't get more because you're a twin.

LOL negged for that. Fun times.

Some people just don't like to be told the truth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
its high because my parents operate a private business but if your income is above £40 000 you dont. so if your parents earn around £30000 each you get the bottom amount on maintenance.

how can your parents afford to pay £1500 a year just to cover your accomadation. so thats like £3000
Reply 5
Original post by Pearson2011
its high because my parents operate a private business but if your income is above £40 000 you dont. so if your parents earn around £30000 each you get the bottom amount on maintenance.

how can your parents afford to pay £1500 a year just to cover your accomadation. so thats like £3000

£1500 a year for accomadation ? I pay around £4700 a year for mine :s
Reply 6
Pretty much tough **** mate, most people have to get a job to support themselves at uni, my parents have a relatively high income but they don't have really any expendable income.

Just be as best prepared as you can, take it from a guy who's been unemployed at uni for the past year. It sucks, get as much saved as possible and make sure you have your CV primed and ready because it's a ****ing battleground in student towns for part time work.
Nothing worse than living on a diet of plain rice or having to sell DVD's to buy toilet paper.
Reply 7
Original post by Ashley. P
£1500 a year for accomadation ? I pay around £4700 a year for mine :s

no! £1500 on top of my maintance loan :angry:
Reply 8
oh btw i live close by i was just wondering
because say my parents had £100 spare a month that be split between 2.

i work in manchester btw but on like a contract basis
im going to apply for jobs from june and get a part time job and start early
Reply 9
Nope, has no effect at all.
Reply 10
I knew three triplets who all went to uni at the same time and didn't get any special consideration for grants and bursaries - despite having a low family income. **** knows what they're meant to do. I honestly do think student finance should take your number of children into account; it's far harder financially to send one kid to uni when you have 7 more at home than it is to send one kid to uni and then have none at home, but both families would get the same student loan/etc if they had the same income (excluding child benefit).
Reply 11
yeh i was just wondering
because my brother could end up going to the same university
i was just curious of we got any finanical help from the uni .

oh well

cheers people
Reply 12
Original post by Shani
Nope, you won't get more because you're a twin.

LOL negged for that. Fun times.

Some people just don't like to be told the truth.

that wasnt me who negged you btw
Why would it effect anything because you're a twin? You're your own person
Are you for real? Have I actually just read that?
Reply 15
Original post by slacker07906
Why would it effect anything because you're a twin? You're your own person

because technically

grants are given out to family's with low income because the parents cant afford to give the child money for uni

so if two children go to uni at the same time then parents with a income over a certain amount means no grants .

so that means the parents have to give out twice as much money to help the student in theory

so most parents wont be able to give two children money to help with uni

so the same as low income parents cant afford to give children money
reasonably high income parents ( middle class ) cant afford to surport 2 children
Reply 16
Original post by lazy smurf
Are you for real? Have I actually just read that?

????
Reply 17
It's an option on the SF form where you put down how many dependants at Uni - it must be at least considered, else why be on the form.
because technically

grants are given out to family's with low income because the parents cant afford to give the child money for uni

so if two children go to uni at the same time then parents with a income over a certain amount means no grants .

so that means the parents have to give out twice as much money to help the student in theory

so most parents wont be able to give two children money to help with uni

so the same as low income parents cant afford to give children money
reasonably high income parents ( middle class ) cant afford to surport 2 children

But sadly that's the case for most families, not just twins. Anyone with children less than three years apart will have some overlap.

If you are in real difficulty your university can almost always help. Otherwise;
1. Save in advance. Not always possible, but a real help - apply for anything and everything.
2. Budget. The estimates on the website are nonsense - you can easily live off £20 a week as a student. Going out is a luxury, it's great if you have an income, but it shouldn't take away from your education.
3. Look into internships. Some of these sponsor you through university.
4. Look for imaginative ways to make money. This could be anything from selling drawings to babysitting.
5. Sign up to survey and mystery shopping websites. You can easily make £500 in a year, which doesn't sound like much, but really helps.
6. Get your parents to give you what they can. Even £10 a month helps.
7. Look for jobs / paid student committee positions. Again, difficult, but if you are lucky you will be sorted.
8. Join your local OTC/UAC/URNU. These are cadet forces that pay you and have no obligation to sign up or anything. Their purpose is to educate students about the armed forces - look into it, you'll be amazed.
9. Get fit. If you have a 6 mile journey and can walk or jog it, you have saved yourself £4 on the bus. It really adds up.
10. Take advantage of discounts. If you are going to use it enough, get an NUS card.

If you do all of this you will have no problems. Being a student is very cheap, you'll never get to live as cheaply again. Good luck. :smile:

Source: I'm a second year student.
Reply 19
ive currently applied for manchester met university and my twin has applied for manchester met and a few other places.

how does this affect student finance ?

my family income is high so i wont get grants or anything.

will we be judged differently for finance because our parents will have to surport 2 children at the same time for 3 years rather than 1

hope someone can help

It won't affect it, my flatmate is a twin, and he just gets normal student finance, and his twin also gets the same, they didn't get more.

Plus, it's more common than you think to have two children in Uni at once, at least 3 of my flatmates have siblings in their 2nd/3rd year while we are in our 1st.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending