The Student Room Group

So what happens after 4 rejections?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
depression.
Reply 21
those are very difficult schools to get in you know OP. I'm not saying there is a single easy to get into med school in the UK. However, applying to cambridge, ucl, kings AND barts wasn't very wise you know. If medicine is really what you want, and you don't get in this cycle (it could still happen, you still have one choice waiting), then reapply next time, but you've got to choose with more tactics mate, it's not only about the name with medicine you know.
Reply 22
Its not that you are not an a good applicant for medicine
Its probably because the universities you have applied for are especially difficult to get into.
I suggest if barts are to reject you, you take a gap year and try to improve your application as best you can. More importantly however, you should do more research on the unis your applying to and perhaps take a look at the applicant profile thread to decide which ones you have the best chance getting in to.

Good luck

p.s if you do get an interview at Barts make sure you nail it.
Reply 23
Original post by Pride
those are very difficult schools to get in you know OP. I'm not saying there is a single easy to get into med school in the UK. However, applying to cambridge, ucl, kings AND barts wasn't very wise you know. If medicine is really what you want, and you don't get in this cycle (it could still happen, you still have one choice waiting), then reapply next time, but you've got to choose with more tactics mate, it's not only about the name with medicine you know.

I second this. Applying to top notch schools might seem appealing but you have to remember that at the end of the day, no patient is gonna give a **** whether you're a Peninsula medic or an Oxford medic. a doctor is a doctor and you should apply to schools where you have the optimal chance of getting in. Typically combo should be two top tier schools (OXford/Camb/Imperial/Barts) and two middle tier (Leeds/Notts/Sheff/etc etc)

Im not suggesting Oxford >Leeds or something lol, but just giving you an idea of admission potentials.
Original post by Last Chance
Since when on earth has AAAB been bad? Loads of medical applicants achieve this and get offers.

OP: Must've been your university choices/ personal statement/ interviews. :frown:

psychology is a soft A level and one of his A's was in this subject.
Reply 25
Consider why you got rejections? Was BMAT an issue? Were your UMS scores high enough for Cambridge? If you honestly have no idea where your application went wrong then make sure to ask for feedback. For now concentrate on your A2s and do as best as you possibly can. If it comes to the point that you ahve to reapply consider your unis choices carefully and make sure you play to your strengths.

Calling up unis seems like a waste of time imo, they have enough applicants anyway.
Original post by oHellno
Consider why you got rejections? Was BMAT an issue? Were your UMS scores high enough for Cambridge? If you honestly have no idea where your application went wrong then make sure to ask for feedback. For now concentrate on your A2s and do as best as you possibly can. If it comes to the point that you ahve to reapply consider your unis choices carefully and make sure you play to your strengths.

Calling up unis seems like a waste of time imo, they have enough applicants anyway.

******* kings refuse to give feedback wtf
Reply 27
Original post by EternalDoom
Hi,

Basically I've been rejected from 3 of my 4 uni choices, I'm just worried i may end up getting rejected from my 4th medicine choice too. If that happens, is there like a medicine clearing system? Can I phone up all the medicine universities to see if they would consider me?

Try Kings in clearing, i've had some weird stories in the recent clearing :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Original post by Iqbal007
Try Kings in clearing, i've had some weird stories in the recent clearing :s-smilie:

Does Medicine even enter clearing?
Original post by Thracia
Get the grades and apply next cycle. I was in the same situation last year, by mid-March I had 4 rejections. As long as you get the grades and use next year appropriately, your chances for next year aren't hurt at all.

I just wanted to ask about gap years - surely by the time you write your personal statement you've only had like 2/3 months of your gap year - so is it really possible to gain that much extra knowledge - and also do you have to stay in the UK during the interview period incase you are interviewed?
Original post by .eXe
I second this. Applying to top notch schools might seem appealing but you have to remember that at the end of the day, no patient is gonna give a **** whether you're a Peninsula medic or an Oxford medic. a doctor is a doctor and you should apply to schools where you have the optimal chance of getting in. Typically combo should be two top tier schools (OXford/Camb/Imperial/Barts) and two middle tier (Leeds/Notts/Sheff/etc etc)

Im not suggesting Oxford >Leeds or something lol, but just giving you an idea of admission potentials.

Is Penisula not a good uni for medicine then?

Original post by Ilyas

I don't think Psychology is seen as being that soft tbh
Reply 31
If your dedicated to medicine and chose to apply for the right reasons then its Easy? Take a gap year. (which is where im currently at now) Reapply. Hope for the best.

If you just want to go to uni for the hell of it... then you shouldnt really have applied to medicine in the first place, take up your 5th offer or one form clearing etc and go.

Phoning up wont do anything - personal experience.
Phoning up/clearing/"adjustment" wont do anything post getting a level results - personal experience.

Good luck. One offer is all you need - most successful applications only get 1 offer.
Reply 32
Original post by Ilyas

shut up.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Unlucky about your AS'

I would advise contacting your universities and asking for feedback. I'm going down the postgraduate medicine route, so I'm currently doing a Biological Science degree. Some universities however put no weight on which degree you do.

what's unlucky about the AS'?
you repeat the year or opt to do biomedical sciences ennit
Just by looking at your profile, I can guess why:

- Cambo - BMAT poor/the B at AS
- UCL - most likely poor BMAT
- KCL - I imagine poor ukcat/not sufficient GCSEs to balance the former
- BL - most likely to be rejected, UKCAT not high enough, iirc 700+ cut off last year?

Perhaps take a gap year and reapply? GMed competition > Undergrad med competition
Hopefully I'm wrong, but good luck either way :smile:
Original post by EternalDoom
Ukcat - 645
Predicted A*A*A in Bio, Chem and Maths
AS - AAAB (Bio, chem, psychology, maths)

I'd focus on getting those predicted grades then work hard at getting a good UKCAT score (about 700). Then in 2013 your sure to get in and as a bonus your offers will be unconditional!
Reply 37
Original post by AtomicMan

Original post by AtomicMan
Just by looking at your profile, I can guess why:

- Cambo - BMAT poor/the B at AS
- UCL - most likely poor BMAT
- KCL - I imagine poor ukcat/not sufficient GCSEs to balance the former
- BL - most likely to be rejected, UKCAT not high enough, iirc 700+ cut off last year?

Perhaps take a gap year and reapply? GMed competition > Undergrad med competition
Hopefully I'm wrong, but good luck either way :smile:

I agree with what you've said except for the bit about BL. They changed their policy this year where the cut-off is 600 and then they rank according to UCAS tarriffs, OP has pretty good predicted grades so he does have a chance.
Reply 38
Original post by .eXe
Does Medicine even enter clearing?

Technically no, but i've heard people have gotten in but they got like A*s and stuff :s
Reply 39
Maybe the universities should make more space on their course. :frown:

Quick Reply