The Student Room Group

Goths

Hi guy. Just doing an assignment on subcultures and have chosen goths/emos, that kind of thing.

Would like a few views on what you think makes you distinctive? And why did you become "one" so to speak.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physically or mentally?
Reply 2
both really. Like what characteristics make you a goth etc, why they wear what they were
Appear pessimistic, bored of life...
Well some of them dont choose to have that label...

Sometimes the people around you just call you one :P

Like for some reason Im supposed to be emo :s
Reply 6
I'm not going to pretend to be perfect in this generalization, but I have a feeling most goths follow the fashion because they have a warped sense of reality.
Original post by mdonaghey
Hi guy. Just doing an assignment on subcultures and have chosen goths/emos, that kind of thing.

Would like a few views on what you think makes you distinctive? And why did you become "one" so to speak.

Assignment for school, college, or university? Just I could probably point on some books on goths, and general youth subcultures, that would be of importance.
Reply 8
University! And that would be brilliant mate , cheerss! Didnt expect to do these essays when I chose fashion
Reply 9
Is it anything other than superficial and childish? A silly adolescent tribe...
Reply 10
Wear superdry and hollister, was named a goth because I had spikey hair and listened to paradise lost
Reply 11
Rejected from society these people tend to turn towards the gothic 'lifestyle' to feel like they are a part of something and fair enough. It is only annoying when they start to proclaim their individuality which is always funny to hear.
Original post by mdonaghey

Don't lump goths and emo together :tongue: They're only vaguely superficially similar, but are not really alike.

Original post by ReadySetGo...
Appear pessimistic, bored of life...

All the goths I know are really happy :tongue: I don't know any sad goths.

Original post by W-Three
I'm not going to pretend to be perfect in this generalization, but I have a feeling most goths follow the fashion because they have a warped sense of reality.

Again, pretty much all the goths I know (bar one) are really well grounded. They're also generally quite smart, well rounded people.

Original post by Ham22
Is it anything other than superficial and childish? A silly adolescent tribe...

Interestingly enough, sociological research recently showed that the goth subculture tends to be the longest persisting. Whereas punks, ravers, chavs etc. usually* tend to 'grow out' of these phases, the majority of goths retain the subculture into adulthood and middle age.

*Usually, but obviously not always.
A lot of Goth hate on this thread. Every Goth I know is actually friendlier than non-Goths. You'll find they lack petty judgements a lot of the time. I know judgemental Goths but constantly being picked on and moaned at because you dress funny'll make you appreciate being laid back, I think.

Me, I'm not a Goth. I have an ankle length leather jacket but that's about it on the Goth front. Whenever I wear it, people make Matrix references... bad ones.
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Well some of them dont choose to have that label...

Sometimes the people around you just call you one :P

Like for some reason Im supposed to be emo :s

Personally, I think if you shop at Blue Banana or wherever, you are subscribing to a specific sub-culture. (Not talking about you here! Just those groups of kids you see outside McDonalds getting pissed at 2 in the afternoon who wear the same skull adorned jumpers). I really don't like it when 'emos' act so hard done by when someone calls them the culture they so obsessively, so perfectly subscribe to.
I've never understood the want to look exactly the same as a billion other kids. How many times have I seen a 14 yo girl wearing those black drainpipes with skull hands on the arse? :mmm:

It's like Punks, New Romantics, etc. Only less exiting.

I've been called emo a couple of times, though. The other day I was :emo: ,apparently black dress, black tights and black leather boots equate to being emo. It's like the emos got all the rights to black clothing.
Original post by SophiaKeuning

I've been called emo a couple of times, though. The other day I was :emo: ,apparently black dress, black tights and black leather boots equate to being emo. It's like the emos got all the rights to black clothing.

Yeh I know right...
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Yeh I know right...

Emo kitty?
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Emo kitty?

Scenester Kitty... Thats why I got the scene nickname :P

But yeh I get the emo label A LOT!!!

Yeh all dp, sui or cutters arent emo...

But I dnt mind...
Reply 18
I used to think of myself as 'goth' (although I now realise it is stupid to label oneself) and I still lean towards the more alternative side of things in regards to fashion, music etc.
The influence of my family probably caused it, growing up my brother and my father listened to a lot of metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc) and as such I just grew used to hearing music associated with the whole 'goth' subculture it probably developed from there. :dontknow:

Also because popular music these days is cack. Bring back Tom Jones.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Revd. Mike
Don't lump goths and emo together :tongue: They're only vaguely superficially similar, but are not really alike.

All the goths I know are really happy :tongue: I don't know any sad goths.

Again, pretty much all the goths I know (bar one) are really well grounded. They're also generally quite smart, well rounded people.

Interestingly enough, sociological research recently showed that the goth subculture tends to be the longest persisting. Whereas punks, ravers, chavs etc. usually* tend to 'grow out' of these phases, the majority of goths retain the subculture into adulthood and middle age.

*Usually, but obviously not always.

Which is why I said appear pessimistic, suggesting I myself am not a goth and I'm simply speculating upon what I and a lot of others THINK of goths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending