The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Study
Seriously get a history lesson, you need to learn the difference between war and mischief. You are like the most ...... person I've met... you can guess what the dots are for.

Just... don't reply.
Do you think the Muslim youth in the UK are moving away from their religion due to the societal pressures on them?
Reply 22
Original post by SaintSoldier
Do you think the Muslim youth in the UK are moving away from their religion due to the societal pressures on them?

Actually it is more complicated then that, there seems to be a divide emerging now where a proportion are moving away while others are becoming a lot more religious.

I remember a Dutch sociologist once saying that it is a unique ideology where when the parents become more "westernised" the children pick it up and become more religious...
Why don't Muslims eat pork, is it something to do with pagans eating pork or something?
Reply 24
Original post by In2deep
Actually it is more complicated then that, there seems to be a divide emerging now where a proportion are moving away while others are becoming a lot more religious.

I remember a Dutch sociologist once saying that it is a unique ideology where when the parents become more "westernised" the children pick it up and become more religious...

That happens a lot with traditions in immigrants. The second generation tend to lose their parents' traditions, wanting to blend in with the new country more, then the third generation try to save the traditions. Islam is a lot easier to revive than a dance, though, hehe.
If all of the religions that came after Islam are not true, then what is your (honest) opinion on the Sikh Gurus?
Reply 26
If all of the religions that came after Islam are not true, then what is your (honest) opinion on the Sikh Gurus?

They are not the Prophet's of Allaah (swt) and have deviated the people from Islam and will be held accountable for their deeds.
Reply 27
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Why don't Muslims eat pork, is it something to do with pagans eating pork or something?

it is because muslims believe that pigs are filthy creatures, that roll around in their own filth.
Original post by amerzeb
it is because muslims believe that pigs are filthy creatures, that roll around in their own filth.

actually, muslims are allowed to eat pork if their is nothing else to eat
Reply 29
Original post by ideas4life

I'm sure the he was talking about in general, not what the terms and conditions are.
Reply 30
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

Allah tells us in the Quran that the meat of the swine if forbidden to us . That is the main and most important to muslims. There are many sub reasons ( cleanliness of the animal may crop up as answer) but the main reason is the Allah has said we can't

( someone has mentioned we can eat it if there is nothing else to eat this is correct if someone is starving and to save there life they may eat pork but only enough to survive i.e you don't transgress the bounds my stuffing your face )

Feel free to correct me if i've said something wrong
Reply 31
Original post by In2deep

Firstly, I'd like to appreciate how true your answer is, especially in my school and community!
There are those, like my brothers and certain muslims in my school who are becoming more religious (not to mention more motivated and focussed in life along the way) as they are getting older, while there are others who are deviating away from Islam and are beginning to commit haraam acts. :/
Myself, I've been a bit conservative but becoming more religious :smile:.

Q: I don't understand (or understand very little arabic), is it okay if I read the english translation of the Quran? It makes no sense to me if I continue to read in Arabic.
Original post by In2deep
They are not the Prophet's of Allaah (swt) and have deviated the people from Islam and will be held accountable for their deeds.

But would you consider them as necessarily 'evil,' despite all of the good work and social reform that they carried out?

And, according to you, do you think they lied then?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by bozkay

Q: I don't understand (or understand very little arabic), is it okay if I read the english translation of the Quran? It makes no sense to me if I continue to read in Arabic.

To pray salat you must use the Arabic language. As for reading the Qur'an in your own personal time, you can use the English translation. Try as much as possible to learn Arabic though, it is the educational foundation of Islam and will help you greatly..

But would you consider them as necessarily 'evil,' despite all of the good work and social reform that they carried out?

And, according to you, do you think they lied then?

It would be extremely arrogant of me to assume anything about them, and in any case they may have carried out "good work" and "social reform" but from a purely theological perspective, they were deviating people towards a religion of impure "monotheism" and hence would not be considered "good work"..

I know very little from Nanak and for me to decide whether he was a liar or he was deluded (i.e he believed he was the Spiritual authority and wasn't or he didn't believe it all and convinced people). You must understand though that all Muslims will fall into either one of the two categories just like all Christians/Jews fall into one of the above categories regarding Prophet Muhammed (saws), so I hope you don't find this offensive.
Reply 34
Original post by ideas4life

there are exceptions
i know its like saying you are allowed to lie if you life is in danger.
Reply 35
Hi, I have a question. Is it compulsory for women to wear the hijab at all times? or can she ever take it off?
Reply 36
Original post by loze21
Hi, I have a question. Is it compulsory for women to wear the hijab at all times? or can she ever take it off?

she can take it off when there's no non-mahram men around. Non-mahram are people who the girl could potentially marry. Mahram = father,son, brother, grandfather, paternal/maternal uncles, nephews
Reply 37
Original post by Tpos
she can take it off when there's no non-mahram men around. Non-mahram are people who the girl could potentially marry. Mahram = father,son, brother, grandfather, paternal/maternal uncles, nephews

A different question, but isn't the hijab more cultural than religious? I read somewhere that it came many years after Muhammad's death.
Reply 38
Original post by usycool1
A different question, but isn't the hijab more cultural than religious? I read somewhere that it came many years after Muhammad's death.

The Qur'an tells women to cover themselves. I think there are some people who say the 'exact' word isn't used. But the majority opinion is that hijab is compulsory. And hijab isn't just wearing a piece of cloth on your head but not revealing yourself by wearing tight clothes etc, and just being modest around the opposite gender. Someone correct me if I've said anything wrong :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Tpos
The Qur'an tells women to cover themselves. I think there are some people who say the 'exact' word isn't used. But the majority opinion is that hijab is compulsory. And hijab isn't just wearing a piece of cloth on your head but not revealing yourself by wearing tight clothes etc, and just being modest around the opposite gender. Someone correct me if I've said anything wrong :smile:

To the best of my knowledge what you've said is correct.
I would like to add the Quran tells the believing women to cover themselves and there are ( i assume ) many well documented hadith regarding the muslim women of that time covering by wearing a headscarf and a jilbab

the reason i assume is because as you've already said its the majority opinion which would be based on evidence from hadith.

Latest

Trending

Trending