The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by just a theory m8

Okay. You know the scientific model: First tiny living cells then that developed, adapted and did what not and evolved into so many other species and species and then land animals appeared. And slowly but surely the pre-human creatures were evolved. And they kept on evolving until the modern homo-sapien of today was formed.

I, as a Muslim, believe this exact same story. BUT just before these pre-human (hominoids or whatever) was evolving to the homo-sapiens (modern humans)..Allah placed Adam.

Like dominoes : one domino falling after the other (one species evolving to the next) and when it comes to fall onto homo-domino then Allah placed this domino.

So science might prove the continuous evolution of creatures to the modern man..linking up all the features and species and showing how they gradually change. But the fact is..somewhere between that when the features of the modern man was slowly appearing Allah placed Adam.

Suppose that species A evolved to B. B evolved to C. And C to D. And D to the modern humans.
I say that when D was evolving towards features of modern humans, Allah placed the modern human in the form of Adam. Now why would Allah do this? Because humans are his most perfect of creatures and there's no other time to place them on Earth but on the most perfect of time...so they would be in harmonious existence with the laws and forces that govern natural selection which Allah has made possible.

Anyways if you don't get it I could give you a 30 min video to watch showing this reconciliation theory between Islam and human evolution. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Okay. You know the scientific model: First tiny living cells then that developed, adapted and did what not and evolved into so many other species and species and then land animals appeared. And slowly but surely the pre-human creatures were evolved. And they kept on evolving until the modern homo-sapien of today was formed.

I, as a Muslim, believe this exact same story. BUT just before these pre-human (hominoids or whatever) was evolving to the homo-sapiens (modern humans)..Allah placed Adam.

Like dominoes : one domino falling after the other (one species evolving to the next) and when it comes to fall onto homo-domino then Allah placed this domino.

So science might prove the continuous evolution of creatures to the modern man..linking up all the features and species and showing how they gradually change. But the fact is..somewhere between that when the features of the modern man was slowly appearing Allah placed Adam.

Suppose that species A evolved to B. B evolved to C. And C to D. And D to the modern humans.
I say that when D was evolving towards features of modern humans, Allah placed the modern human in the form of Adam. Now why would Allah do this? Because humans are his most perfect of creatures and there's no other time to place them on Earth but on the most perfect of time...so they would be in harmonious existence with the laws and forces that govern natural selection which Allah has made possible.

Anyways if you don't get it I could give you a 30 min video to watch showing this reconciliation theory between Islam and human evolution. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response, my friend. Do you believe that humans have been becoming progressively shorter since the time of Adam? If so, how tall would adam have to be that long time ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sonic BOOM
Thanks for the response, my friend. Do you believe that humans have been becoming progressively shorter since the time of Adam? If so, how tall would adam have to be that long time ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno what I believe. I can't say for sure that I believe that humans became progressively shorter. (don't see any evidence for this nor any reason for why being short would be advantageous to humans).

Ive read a ahadeeth that implied Adam was really really tall. But am no ahadeeth expert so dunno. Maybe he was tall in heaven but was made shorter on Earth.

Anyway we believe in the "absurd things" in Islam because we are Muslims but we aren't Muslims just because of this.... we believe in Islam because of other reasons but with the belief in Islam comes this package of "absurd things" like shooting stars chasing away devils and stuff. Ygm. So no point mocking such beliefs even with science...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do Muslims have to pray in such a specific way? I can't understand the reasoning behind forcing everyone to follow a set of actions instead of connecting with God in their own personal way.
Original post by Arithmeticae
Why do Muslims have to pray in such a specific way? I can't understand the reasoning behind forcing everyone to follow a set of actions instead of connecting with God in their own personal way.

"Prayers" is not only limited to "Salaah" which is the Islamic ritual of prayers. Rather you could even have a personal prayer known as "dua". The personal way will be the "dua" then where Muslims ask/praise/thank/etc God.

Also, Islam believes in spirituality but it also believes that spirituality should manifest itself as rituals. Rituals is what will keep a person spiritually alive.

As for why this specific way of praying like Qiyaam : rukuh : Sajood and then sitting down..there might be many wisdom/hikma behind it, such that this would make prayer in congregation possible. But the only reason is cause God/Muhammed has told us to pray in this way. And true Muslims love to follow God's commandments.

So it doesn't make sense for you to say that Muslims are "forced" to pray in that particular way. Firstly, Muslims choose to Muslims. There is no compulsion in this. So after a Muslim chooses to be Muslims he should follow God's commandments. So the person willingly chooses to believe that "salaat" is obligatory and so should pray in that way. There is no "forcing" when you have a choice to abstain.

Also if a Muslim wants more freedom and to have their own personal way to connect with God then they can go along and try and do so. There is no harm in this, and God will reward them for their intentions. But what could go wrong is when the Muslim claims what their doing is an ibadah (an act of worship). This is a terrible sin in Islam (bida) since Muslims believe that one isn't allowed to bring in new acts of worship into Islam.
(edited 9 years ago)

Assalamu Alaikum!

This is the one of the first questions Muslims ask when they start feeling that Islam is a demanding religion, I've noticed. L'Evil Fish asked this too a long time back.

This is my understanding:

There is no doubt that Allah is a personal God while also being transcendental. He is distant as well as near. And it is a must for Muslims to develope a personal relationship with Him alone without any need of mediators. He communicates with us through signs (ayats). These come in revelation (Quran and other Scriptures) as well as in nature. You should feel the signs calling you and they should encourage you to grow closer to Allah. In turn we communicate with Him in various ways.

Muslims believe that everyone is a slave of at least one object of worship. We serve this object. When we serve this object we strive to please this object and we try to avoid doing stuff that displeases this object. It could be a god or it could be a desire. Muslims believe that there shouldn't be any object of worship than Allah. And we believe that we are all born slaves of Allah. Allah is no mere object btw.

So Muslims strive to make sure that everyday of their lives their ilah is no one but Allah. How do they do this? We are fortunate to have the system of Salaah to keep us in check. Five times a day we shut down to worship God. This is a blessing to keep us in the right path. This system was present in all divine religions. Its the same reason behind the Sabbath of the Jews. Instead of one whole day its spread.

Salaah is not the only way to communicate with Allah. A lot of non-Muslims misunderstand this. It does not replace any other form of connection. Its just an additional feature - the crown of them all. We still have dua (which is what Christians mean by prayer. We still have zikr. You name it, we have it.

We believe that it is Allah himself who teaches us how to worship him in the first place. There are many reasons of wisdom why we have a strict ritual for salaah. For one thing it is meant to be prayed in a congregation. Its much easier if we have one language linking the entire Ummah. Salaah covers both spirit and flesh. It uses the best postures for worship.

Islam is both a religion for the individual and for the community. We are fortunate to have a form of worship where the whole family, community or the entire Ummah could join in :smile:

If we prayed how we wished, it'd be one hell of mess. I mean good question I'm actually wondering what I'd do. I love the way in which the prayer has been set though, especially the bowing position. I feel close to my lord in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

originally in the quran there were no such formalised methods for 'namaz ' specified, it only gave Mohammed specifically direction to lead their prayers

later written hadiths ( compiled centuries after mohammeds death) detailed the modern day rituals including the necessity for 5 times a day, building mosques and having imams to lead the namaz.

the reason for setting uniform practice is to ensure there were not divergences in practices and also to be ale to keep together congregations in the same place and also keep control of where they went and waht they were told
(edited 9 years ago)
Given that the arabic term 'Haram' is adopted in the terminology of most muslims to mean something 'bad' or prohibited in islam' how is it explained that there is also an accepted meaning of haram in arabic to mean islamically sacred.
Original post by Meenglishnogood
Given that the arabic term 'Haram' is adopted in the terminology of most muslims to mean something 'bad' or prohibited in islam' how is it explained that there is also an accepted meaning of haram in arabic to mean islamically sacred.

Very good question. I'll find out for you.
Is it true that if you associate another deity with Allah you are automatically sentenced to jahannam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meenglishnogood

The word has a number of meanings in the Arabic language.

The context generally details the meaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lasagne92
Is it true that if you associate another deity with Allah you are automatically sentenced to jahannam.

Hello,

Someone who dies in a state of shirk ( associating partners with God) will go to hell.

However if the person repents and stops this whilst they are alive - God will forgive them.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Hello,

Someone who dies in a state of shirk ( associating partners with God) will go to hell.

However if the person repents and stops this whilst they are alive - God will forgive them.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Salaam,

So you mean that there is no unforgivable sin in Islam and that all sins can be repented
Because I heard that shirk is the only unforgivable sin in Islam or maybe I might be wrong
Ok thank you for your help may god repent you.:smile:
Original post by Lasagne92
Salaam,

So you mean that there is no unforgivable sin in Islam and that all sins can be repented
Because I heard that shirk is the only unforgivable sin in Islam or maybe I might be wrong
Ok thank you for your help may god repent you.:smile:

AsalamuAlaikum,

All sins can be forgiven whilst one is Still alive.

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." Qur'an 39:53

However if one dies whilst commuting shirk this will not be forgiven.

So shirk can be forgiven whilst your alive but once you die it can not be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
AsalamuAlaikum,

All sins can be forgiven whilst one is Still alive.

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." Qur'an 39:53

However if one dies whilst commuting shirk this will not be forgiven.

So shirk can be forgiven whilst your alive but once you die it can not be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is interesting. So does this imply that other major sins can be forgiven without repentance? Because I heard that only minor sins can be wiped away without asking for Allah's forgiveness, and major sins can't. Then I hear that Allah forgives all sins except shirk so I was a little confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beautifulxxx
This is interesting. So does this imply that other major sins can be forgiven without repentance? Because I heard that only minor sins can be wiped away without asking for Allah's forgiveness, and major sins can't. Then I hear that Allah forgives all sins except shirk so I was a little confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is an interesting question. :smile: According to the verse TMG quoted yes other major sins can be forgiven without repentance. However, Shirk without repentance can never be forgiven.
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay. This has got me puzzling. Is the following two theological understanding correct?

1. Sins committed when you were a non Muslim can be forgiven by converting to Islam. But sins committed when you were a Muslim can be forgiven by repentance ( and if Allah wills) but not by merely stating the shahadah.

2 Non Muslims will have their deeds rendered worthless. So a non muslim will go to hell. A Muslim who has good deeds greater than bad deeds will go to heaven directly. A Muslim who has bad deeds greater than good deeds will get punished in hell and then be sent to heaven.

Is the above two understanding correct? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
well minor sins can be wiped away with acts of worship e.g.If a person performed Wudhu the drops of water falling from wudhu counts as a sin being removed ,a person who sincerely performs wudhu and then performs 2 nafl rakaat has his sins abolished.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by beautifulxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Allah out of his mercy may choose to forgive a believer on the day of judgement.

Yes I've heard that to - but Allah is able to forgive anything if he wishes.

Well that's what I know hehe.

Allah does not forgive shirk if you die in that state .

So let's say I pray to trees . And I die still committing this sin. Allah will not forgive me.

But if before I die I stop committing shirk and repent allah will forgive me

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)