The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharingan :)
Which school do you/your parents follow bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hanafi. In fairness, I'm not very clued up on the major difference between the diff school of thoughts, it's something I need to read about in the future.
What is meant by Quaranist, it sounds like people who follow the Quaran and not the hadith?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Cool thanks, I didn't know about the maliki :yy:

No worries, bro. That is the dominant position in the Maliki madhab. The same view can also be found in the Hanafi madhab, a long with differing rulings, but I'm unsure of what the dominant position is with them.
Original post by dozyrosie
That is really interesting, I have never heard it expressed that way before, and it seems very reasonable that it is cultural, from what you have said. Is it clear that there is no compunction to be circumcised in the Quaran?

yes, dont get confused by some of the others on this thread, those who actually read the quran know circumcision is not mentioned once in it, unlike the bible where it is mentioned a number of times. it is almost certainly cultural in islam as is growing a beard, dress codes etc- these were all tied to the semetic peoples
Original post by Reformed
yes, dont get confused by some of the others on this thread, those who actually read the quran know circumcision is not mentioned once in it, unlike the bible where it is mentioned a number of times. it is almost certainly cultural in islam as is growing a beard, dress codes etc- these were all tied to the semetic peoples

The beard is not a cultural thing.

Well I stand corrected in what I thought was a truth, I must say, it makes more sense to me that circumcision and beard growth is cultural, rather than Islamic law. Thanks for the info.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
The beard is not a cultural thing.

the beard was previously popular amoung the arab tribes at the time as with other semites and again the growing of one is not an islamic requirment of the quran.
(edited 9 years ago)
What is meant by Quaranist, it sounds like people who follow the Quaran and not the hadith?

Yes. It's an almost non-existent movement that appears to be growing in recent times.
the beard was popular amoung the arab tribes at the time as with semites, and again the growing of one is not an islamic requirment of the quran.

Nonsense. Are you also going to argue that praying five times a day is "not Islamic" because the five prayers are not mentioned by name in the Qur'an and can only be located in the Sunnah?
Yes. It's an almost non-existent movement that appears to be growing in recent times.

Isn't the point of Islam that the Quaran is above all? I am trying to get my head around why hadith would in anyway supercede the book given by God.
Reply 5390
My post from last week seems to have slipped under the radar, so I'll ask again.

Re: the source of semen as described in the Quran - bearing in mind that sura 86 is specifically talking about sperm as it is referring to the fluid from which "he was created".

The testes have a specific word in every language (that I am aware of), They are quite noticable after all. Why didn't Allah use the Arabic word for testes الخصيات? Not only would it have been far more accurate than the strange definition that he actually gave, but if he had, we wouldn't have been having this discussion now.
Original post by QE2
My post from last week seems to have slipped under the radar, so I'll ask again.

Re: the source of semen as described in the Quran - bearing in mind that sura 86 is specifically talking about sperm as it is referring to the fluid from which "he was created".

To test us

To see if people like you mr qe2 find it a reason to disbelieve

At the end of the day we dont know why allah azza wa jal did what he did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nonsense. Are you also going to argue that praying five times a day is "not Islamic" because the five prayers are not mentioned by name in the Qur'an and can only be located in the Sunnah?

the answer to your question is simply that there is no islamic instruction to actually grow a beard at all, not even the hadith users can point to one, only the aknoledgement that beards and beard trimming were a common practice of the time.
Isn't the point of Islam that the Quaran is above all? I am trying to get my head around why hadith would in anyway supercede the book given by God.

The Qur'an is considered to be the word of God and therefore everything must conform to it, but the Sunnah is also a source of revelation. The Qur'an itself commands us to refer to it.
The Qur'an is considered to be the word of God and therefore everything must conform to it, but the Sunnah is also a source of revelation. The Qur'an itself commands us to refer to it.

I feel a little embarrassed because I don't know what the Sunnah is, I know that the Hadith is about the sayings and deeds of Muhammad, and the Quaran is the revelations, I haven't a clue what the Sunnah is.

to answer your question, the sunnah did not exist when the quran revealed to mohammed verse- " Today We have completed your religion” (5:3) . therefore it in no way names the sunnah as any such revalation.

to suggest mohammeds life is also an islamic revelation you would be forced to include the mistakes mohammed made or where he was tricked ( for example his initial allowance of wine to muslims, his setting of qibla toward jerusalem instead of mecca etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
I feel a little embarrassed because I don't know what the Sunnah is, I know that the Hadith is about the sayings and deeds of Muhammad, and the Quaran is the revelations, I haven't a clue what the Sunnah is.

sunnah is simply the collection of directives some muslims prescribe on basis of the life mohammed was said to have followed
the answer to your question is simply that there is no islamic instruction to actually grow a beard at all, not even the hadith users can point to one, only the aknoledgement that beards and beard trimming were a common practice of the time.

The jurists are completely unanimous in that growing the beard is an Islamic act. The only differences of opinion that have ever arisen amongst the jurists on this issue are whether it is actually sinful or just merely disliked to shave and how long the beard should be.
to answer your question, the sunnah did not exist when the quran revealed to mohammed verse- " Today We have completed your religion” (5:3) . therefore it in no way names the sunnah as any such revalation.

to suggest mohammeds life is also an islamic revelation you would be forced to include the mistakes mohammed made or where he was tricked ( for example his initial allowance of wine to muslims, his setting of qibla toward jerusalem instead of mecca etc)

So much misinformation in one single post.
There are many, many verses guiding muslims to follow the sunnah/teachings of the prophet peace be upon him.
Allowing/disallowing wine was the gradual rule/ruling from Allah swt as is evident in the quran ( you should try reading it sometime)
Qiblah was also set by Allah and changed by him alone.
Tricked?! try again.

Apologies. This should clarify:

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending