The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Salaam got lots of questions from a friend of mine. I do apologise in advance if they appear to be written in an angry manner:

1.Why is the Qur'an sexist in that it allows men to marry whoever they want, but females must be muslim?

2.Why should i waste time praying? to get to the mosque and back plus prayers say takes 30 mins. 5 times a day, 2.5 hours a day, 12.5 hours a week, 600 hours a year, if i live another 50 years, that's 30000 hours wasted, when i could be living a full life and get the most out of the time im alive.

3.Evolution: where does the Qur'an talk about evolution, a scientific proof on how we came to be.

4.How does Qur'an show how the pyramids were created?

5.If Islam is the religion of Peace, why are muslims killing each other?

6.If Islam is the most powerful religion how come none of the top 10 most powerful countries of the world are muslim dominated?

7.Why is Islam dedicated to just one book, which could be wrong and incorrect. having a single source to base your life around seems like a very dangerous thing to do.

8.How can you prove the Book came from Allah and that it wasn't written by men to control other men?

9.If Islam is the true religion how come it never really spread beyond the middle east until the early 1950s and 1960s? Why wasnt Islam converting beyond these borders and expanding massively?

10.Why do muslims have such large families? is this a throwback to poor medicine and that a lot of children died due to disease and now we have medicines they maintain large numbers?

11.If Islam is the true religion why do muslims even want to come to this country when they can stay in muslims countries and practice their religion without social stigma?

12.We does the Qur'an discuss science at all? Atoms, Energy, Physics, Maths, Gravity. Key scientific theories

13. If Allah exists why do muslims hurt non muslims for saying bad things about Allah? surely if Allah is an almighty spirit he would be well beyond, intellectually, any petty insults by non believers and therefore not worth the time to worry about?

14. how can you prove Mohammed existed?

15. Why can a women not have multiple husbands? (4:3)

16. Why are men considered better than females and not equals? (2:228)

17. How do you prove heaven and Hell?

18. Why does the Qur'an allowing the beating of women? Why aren't women considered equal?

19. why doesn't the Qur'an change and adapt to the continuing modernization of mankind?

20. What does the Qur'an say about Aliens and how they came to be, as aliens surely exist considering how large the universe is?

If this is too much. I will create a new thread.
Original post by Sasha_Coopers
Salaam got lots of questions from a friend of mine. I do apologise in advance if they appear to be written in an angry manner:

1.Why is the Qur'an sexist in that it allows men to marry whoever they want, but females must be muslim?

2.Why should i waste time praying? to get to the mosque and back plus prayers say takes 30 mins. 5 times a day, 2.5 hours a day, 12.5 hours a week, 600 hours a year, if i live another 50 years, that's 30000 hours wasted, when i could be living a full life and get the most out of the time im alive.

3.Evolution: where does the Qur'an talk about evolution, a scientific proof on how we came to be.

6.If Islam is the most powerful religion how come none of the top 10 most powerful countries of the world are muslim dominated?

7.Why is Islam dedicated to just one book, which could be wrong and incorrect. having a single source to base your life around seems like a very dangerous thing to do.

8.How can you prove the Book came from Allah and that it wasn't written by men to control other men?

9.If Islam is the true religion how come it never really spread beyond the middle east until the early 1950s and 1960s? Why wasnt Islam converting beyond these borders and expanding massively?

10.Why do muslims have such large families? is this a throwback to poor medicine and that a lot of children died due to disease and now we have medicines they maintain large numbers?

11.If Islam is the true religion why do muslims even want to come to this country when they can stay in muslims countries and practice their religion without social stigma?

12.We does the Qur'an discuss science at all? Atoms, Energy, Physics, Maths, Gravity. Key scientific theories

13. If Allah exists why do muslims hurt non muslims for saying bad things about Allah? surely if Allah is an almighty spirit he would be well beyond, intellectually, any petty insults by non believers and therefore not worth the time to worry about?

18. Why does the Qur'an allowing the beating of women? Why aren't women considered equal?

19. why doesn't the Qur'an change and adapt to the continuing modernization of mankind?

20. What does the Qur'an say about Aliens and how they came to be, as aliens surely exist considering how large the universe is?

Wa 'alaykum assalaam

Making a (few) threads would be the best idea, given the number and the diversity of the questions. But be prepared for the ill-informed to also post in answer to the questions.
Salaam got lots of questions from a friend of mine. I do apologise in advance if they appear to be written in an angry manner:.

1.Why is the Qur'an sexist in that it allows men to marry whoever they want, but females must be muslim?.
cant really comment of the 1st part but i presume the idea was that the children (and often the wife) would always follow the faith of the man in medieval times, so it was always going to increase number of muslims, rather than risk them leaving islam form marriage.

3.Evolution: where does the Qur'an talk about evolution, a scientific proof on how we came to be. .
3:59 is the qurans equivalent of evolution of human species which it states were created from mud and clay of the ground - but this is not scientific or proof

4.How does Qur'an show how the pyramids were created? .
it doesnt make comment on how they were created

5.If Islam is the religion of Peace, why are muslims killing each other? .
islam is not the religion of peace. islam means submission not peace- common misconception banded about in the last century only.

6.If Islam is the most powerful religion how come none of the top 10 most powerful countries of the world are muslim dominated? .
again islam is not deemed most powerful religion, its just a faith like any other

7.Why is Islam dedicated to just one book, which could be wrong and incorrect. having a single source to base your life around seems like a very dangerous thing to do. .
in fact the bible and torah are deemed isamic books too, though most muslims will say they dont accept any current version of those as they claim they have been altered ( though they do not accept the quran my also have been altered)

8.How can you prove the Book came from Allah and that it wasn't written by men to control other men? .
i doubt anyone on earth can prove this

9.If Islam is the true religion how come it never really spread beyond the middle east until the early 1950s and 1960s? Why wasnt Islam converting beyond these borders and expanding massively? .
islam spread into central and north africa soon after the death of mohammed , and then later into asia and parts of europe - though this was essentially by invasion and colonisation by then advanced and wealthy muslim armies

10.Why do muslims have such large families? is this a throwback to poor medicine and that a lot of children died due to disease and now we have medicines they maintain large numbers? .
because large amount of kids is encouraged in islam (presumabley to increase numbers in the faith) as well as the right for men to have 4 wives and therefore more women to bear children

11.If Islam is the true religion why do muslims even want to come to this country when they can stay in muslims countries and practice their religion without social stigma? .
Who knows

12.We does the Qur'an discuss science at all? Atoms, Energy, Physics, Maths, Gravity. Key scientific theories .
quran is not a science book. at best it makes passing reference to sciences that were known at the time in greco-arameic writings

14. how can you prove Mohammed existed? .
you cannot

15. Why can a women not have multiple husbands? (4:3).
becuase of the point made in No .1

16. Why are men considered better than females and not equals? (2:228).
becuase all islamic prophets were male and islam itself is based on old tribal arabic outlook, which was very chauvaistic society

18. Why does the Qur'an allowing the beating of women? Why aren't women considered equal?.
see point No.16

19. why doesn't the Qur'an change and adapt to the continuing modernization of mankind? .
because it was claimed to be a perfect book and a final revalation.

20. What does the Qur'an say about Aliens and how they came to be, as aliens surely exist considering how large the universe is?.
no mention
(edited 8 years ago)

There is an imam on tumblr you could check out his blog, he's got an index full of question that he's answered and you can ask anonymously if you want too.

Its partytilfajr.tumblr.com

You're welcome, also please be respectful in your question.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
Thank you.

I apologize as my English is not my first language so I wasn't able to rewrite those questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash92:)

The questions you have asked require specific answers, which go beyond my depth of understanding. However, I will try to answer some of the questions briefly.

Spoiler

4. I don't know, to be honest. I've not formally studied such a subject so wouldn't know what is advised. There have been many philosophers in the history of Islam, a few famous names of which are al-Ghazali, Ibn Khaldun, Ibn Sina and Muhammad Iqbal (later times)

5. I haven't formally studied philosophy, so I'm afraid I can't really say :colondollar:

I actually came back online as I forgot to say thank you for your reply Dx

Very interesting though, thank you!

Speaking of al-Ghazali though, it reminds me of the Euthyphro dilemma in relation to divine command theory. Any idea which option aligns more with Islam and why? (or give your own view if you don't know, all is good :yep:

There's a few translations of the dilemma but we can just go with this one: “Are morally good acts willed by God because they are morally good, or are they morally good because they are willed by God?”

Original post by interact
These are the most interesting questions about Islam someones asked on TSR, I think I'll answer them

Even though you didn't get around to it, I still got the warm fuzzy feels hehe <3
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I actually came back online as I forgot to say thank you for your reply Dx

Very interesting though, thank you!

Speaking of al-Ghazali though, it reminds me of the Euthyphro dilemma in relation to divine command theory. Any idea which option aligns more with Islam and why? (or give your own view if you don't know, all is good :yep:

There's a few translations of the dilemma but we can just go with this one: “Are morally good acts willed by God because they are morally good, or are they morally good because they are willed by God?”

You're welcome :h:

Understanding free will and predestination in Islam is something that would need to be discussed properly tbh. Further to my being a layperson, I would feel it unwise to discuss such matters unless we start from the bottom, as the discussion can otherwise be mislead by incorrect assumptions.
Original post by G8D
If music is haram whats your ringtone?

Put a nasheed on :wink:
Reply 5528
Original post by G8D

ring ring riiiiiiing

Not really. My phone's on mute all the time lol
G&D
The opening line from Kafka's "The Trial" (in German, of course)

"Jemand musste Josef K. verleumdet haben, denn ohne dass er etwas Böses getan hätte, wurde er eines Morgens verhaftet"
(edited 8 years ago)
Ride of the Valkyries because I am a rebel.
Reply 5531
Does any one in the Islamic World have the authority to pronounce who is or is not a Muslim?
Original post by Aj12
Does any one in the Islamic World have the authority to pronounce who is or is not a Muslim?

Yes. Scholars can definitely do it.

I think laypeople may be able to do it too, but don't quote me on this one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aj12

only mohammed was ordained this power in islam. he was also the only ordained leader of islamic people ( until the islamcally prophesised return of jesus)

of course in real life plenty of people claim to be able to do this and also claim to be leaders and have some sort of authority in islam
Original post by Reformed
only mohammed was ordained this power in islam. he was also the only ordained leader of islamic people ( until the islamcally prophesised return of jesus)

of course in real life plenty of people claim to be able to do this and also claim to be leaders and have some sort of authority in islam

Please stop spreading misinformation about Islam. I have asked you before but you keep persisting like theres no tomorrow.

Thanks.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Please stop spreading misinformation about Islam. I have asked you before but you keep persisting like theres no tomorrow.

Thanks.

mine was in reference to whats stated in islamic scripture which is what he was asking
mine was in reference to whats stated in islamic scripture which is what he was asking

Other people(other than the Prophet(PBUH) or Isa(Jesus)(AS)) can declare someone to be a non-Muslim. If you were saying otherwise, then I'm afraid you are wrong(and also misinterpreting Islamic sources(if you have actually read any)).

I'll leave it at that as this thread ain't for debate. Just needed to point out what you said isn't what is actually believed by Muslims.
Other people(other than the Prophet(PBUH) or Isa(Jesus)(AS)) can declare someone to be a non-Muslim. If you were saying otherwise, then I'm afraid you are wrong(and also misinterpreting Islamic sources(if you have actually read any)).

I'll leave it at that as this thread ain't for debate. Just needed to point out what you said isn't what is actually believed by Muslims.

to answer your question (if that indeed was one) the quran nor any islamic prophet ordained any other muslim with the power or authority to do what you just described. therefore to do that would be acting on your own personal opinion, not 'speaking for islam'
to answer your question (if that indeed was one) the quran nor any islamic prophet ordained any other muslim with the power or authority to do what you just described. therefore to do that would be acting on your own personal opinion, not 'speaking for islam'

There was no question in the post. Hence no question marks anywhere. So no need for an answer which wasn't requested. Toodles.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. Scholars can definitely do it.

I think laypeople may be able to do it too, but don't quote me on this one.

You're both just giving your opinions and annoyingly bickering over them. Would be nice to see some actual sources. Thank you.

Latest