The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaintSoldier
Is Alexander the Great (Dhul-Qurnayn) a prophet? He's Greek.

My point is, if there are truly 125,000 prophets, as stated by the Hadith, then why are the only ones mentioned from Muhammad's own local area? If their message was one and the same, then why not mention prophets from other nations? Like India, China, Japan, America, Australia; why do they not have any prophets?

why are u assuming if they are from muhammed local area is because you haven tread and india china once upon a time were not all on the world map thye were created
Original post by Tawheed
You have been told sunni brothers and sisters existed from the very beginning, so i think it is only fair i also give you the shia view:

Shia's affirm and believe that we existed right from the very beginning. We strictly follow and adhere to the Sunnah, and though we place great importance on the companions, we believe the true Sunnah best survived and was protected from distortion though chosen members of his Ahlulbayt.

Rasullah s.a.w left behind two weighty things, the Quran, and his Ahlulbayt - who are synonymous with his Sunnah, for they preserve it and upheld it best.

When we mention Ali a.s, we mention him due to the fact he gained knowledge from Rasullah s.a.w. No-one in our eyes was closer to him, and by the power of Allah swt, he was able to inherit knowledge Allah swt willed, and so assisted in preserving the Sunnah.

Similarly, Hussain a.s his son isn't going to give a law, opinion, statement that contradicts the Sunnah.

We pray as they prayed, and interestingly as Maliki's also pray. There is definitely a non-coincidental connection there.

salam
id like to ask kindly what are the differences between the shia that u follow and sunni jazakillah bcz im still confused between the main differences although ive been reading alot of things online and some people claim that online is sometimes wrong
Well this is technically asking about Islam, I'm asking for help in Islam in particular, I made a post about this on some forum so here is a copy paste:

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here and solely created this account because enough is enough. A bit of background information, I'm an 18 year old boy who's soon going to do his A-level examinations so there is tension/pressure/ stress every single day from every single family member, I guess you all can see where this is going, it's gotten so bad in fact that I'm experiencing suicidal thoughts but can't get myself together to actually commit suicide (consider this as a side question, why was I born without permission but must take permission to die/kill myself? I mean, what if Allah wrote it in my destiny that I would kill myself and of course people who kill themselves are condemned to hell, like really? Allah is just doing this to make an example out of people to fuel his ego or something? Just a thought I'm having.)

But the main thing is that I'm losing faith because things are getting too hard for me, I try to remember Allah but it's not helping. What's worse is that I've completely stopped praying, I used to be so consistent and disciplined in my prayers but everything is starting to fall apart, whenever I try to pray now, I do not feel as if I'm praying, in fact, I always felt that way, I just feel as if I'm moving my arms and legs and not 'praying', like, is there a certain 'feeling' you get or not? Because I'm not getting it at all, it feels so bad thinking this way but that's my current situation unfortunately.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.
Original post by mil88
It would have nice to include hadiths for both men and women.

Well apologies then friend.
Here are the verses
قُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَٰلِكَ أَزْكَىٰ لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity: this will be most conducive to their purity [and,] verily, God is aware of all that they do. (Al-Nuur 30)
وَقُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity (Al-Nuur 31)
Original post by Al-farhan
Well apologies then friend.
Here are the verses
قُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَٰلِكَ أَزْكَىٰ لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity: this will be most conducive to their purity [and,] verily, God is aware of all that they do. (Al-Nuur 30)
وَقُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity (Al-Nuur 31)

Thanks for this but I was referring to generally quoting hadiths and quranic verses. This is one of those topics whereby Muslims almost exclusively focus on men, despite you and I both knowing that Islam prescribes it for both genders.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the references.
Original post by Fermion.
So if I dont have sex with my husband cos I'm tired I'll be cursed by the the angels? Thats sad.

Salaam,
In islam in a marital situation both husband and wife are encouraged to be romantic to each other, and satisfy each other's needs. So a woman is encouraged to satisfy her husband's needs same goes for a man for his wife's needs. It is even grounds for divorce if a woman is not satisfied by her husband physically and emotionally. And similarly the man is viewed as sinning if he refuses the calls of his wife.
So it is encouragement to fulfil each other's needs, not to force yourself upon your wife with force.
My contention regarding "whether it's haram for a female to post pictures on social media" is that it is allowed, Islamically speaking. If the sister observes the Islamic requirements (looking and acting modestly), then it cannot be sinful. I understand that some may view it as "makruh", but the actual Islamic answer should have been given because reading the earlier post(s), it implied that it indeed was forbidden.

Therefore, the advice is of "precautionary" nature and so, I don't understand why it has to only apply to women. Both genders are "at risk" (nobody has defined what they mean by this "risk"), and so both genders should be careful. Whether one gender is more susceptible than other is besides the point, an precautionary measure that is not an official ruling in Islam should apply to both parties. To claim that it only applies to females is not acceptable, IMO. Islam is a religion that seeks to benefit and protect "mankind", not only women.

(Also, it should be noted that, by definition, anything that is not forbidden, is permitted. It may be "permitted but not recommended", but it's still allowed and that's what should have been said to the sister, IMO).
Original post by popo111
My contention regarding "whether it's haram for a female to post pictures on social media" is that it is allowed, Islamically speaking. If the sister observes the Islamic requirements (looking and acting modestly), then it cannot be sinful. I understand that some may view it as "makruh", but the actual Islamic answer should have been given because reading the earlier post(s), it implied that it indeed was forbidden.

Well there are different views on this.*
Some may consider the face to be awrah, some don't.

My answer to the user was "You should avoid it..."
This doesn't necessarily mean it's haram.*I phrased it like that because it's better to not carry out an action which is disliked, even though it may be permissible.

Therefore, the advice is of "precautionary" nature and so, I don't understand why it has to only apply to women. Both genders are "at risk" (nobody has defined what they mean by this "risk"), and so both genders should be careful.

Risk of falling into fitnah. This applies to women more as women are more of a fitna to men (as is mentioned in hadith) than the other way around. This is why men and womens hijab is different. Yes a man is responsible for lowering his gaze, but a woman needs to ensure she doesn't give him anything to gaze at.

Whether one gender is more susceptible than other is besides the point, an precautionary measure that is not an official ruling in Islam should apply to both parties. To claim that it only applies to females is not acceptable, IMO. Islam is a religion that seeks to benefit and protect "mankind", not only women.

Nobody has claimed it applies to women only.
The user who asked the original question is female so she was asking about her own self.
Modesty applies to both genders.

Yes both men and women are protected by this ruling but this applies to women more like I have explained above.
There are many more instances where pictures of women have been used on inappropriate sites and cases like this have happened. Women are at more of a risk of this happening.

(Also, it should be noted that, by definition, anything that is not forbidden, is permitted. It may be "permitted but not recommended", but it's still allowed and that's what should have been said to the sister, IMO).

I disagree to an extent.*
If something is not haram but it may be makruh for instance, it would not be right to say "it's permitted" on its own. The correct term should be given, whether it's haram, makruh etc. Personally if something is completely permissible*(as in there's no difference of opinion or precautions which need to be taken) only then would I be comfortable to label it as permissible on it own, without giving any caution.

Just because you don't get punishment for doing something which isn't haram, it is far better to stay away from it and get the reward for not doing it.*

I don't think you'll find any scholar encouraging women to put up their photos, or even give a fatwa saying it's permissible without giving warnings and advice.

I think it's good to give different scholarly views on the matter however I gave a brief response as a) I didn't have time to respond in detail b) No one else had replied so I gave a short reply.*However, there was nothing incorrect with what I said. If the user wanted further clarification I would've given it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@popo111 please ignore the random asterisks above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending