The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHuman
I did say in my post:

"Which verses have been abrogated are to be found in the Tafsir (exegesis) and the Hadith."

Now scholars who would studied these extinsively would know which verses were abrogated, I am not one, lol, nor do I currently have time to read all the dozens of exegesis books. :biggrin:

No, we do not believe that God would send down an updated Qur'an, but we are expecting the return of the Messiah (Jesus son of Mary) and the coming of an Imam (known as the Mahdi). So the Mahdi along with Jesus would rule the Islamic world, if they were to apply the Qur'an in the context of their time, well, they'd know best. :biggrin: Some speculate that they would reform Islam, but that's not an orthodox position.

Don't quote on me on this, it may very well change as I learn more:
I suppose one could say, ruling abc was revealed in response to situation xyz, situation xyz is no longer present and ruling abc currently therefore causes more harm than good (Hadith says that which causes more harm than good is forbidden), so we can "twist" the ruling to apply to the current situation in country X in the year Y.

Hope that answers your question.

I saw that, thanks. But, I thought that the Quran takes authority of the hadiths? So how can there be verses in the hadiths that abrogate those in the Quran?
Reply 861
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I saw that, thanks. But, I thought that the Quran takes authority of the hadiths? So how can there be verses in the hadiths that abrogate those in the Quran?

The Qur'an does take authority over Hadith.
But only through Hadiths could you know that a certain verse was abrogated and while the Qur'an does often provide context or an elaboration of another verse in a different chapter, the Hadiths show how the Prophet (PBUH) and his companions interpreted and understood the Qur'an and they of course are the best interpretors.
The Qur'an does take authority over Hadith.
But only through Hadiths could you know that a certain verse was abrogated and while the Qur'an does often provide context or an elaboration of another verse in a different chapter, the Hadiths show how the Prophet (PBUH) and his companions interpreted and understood the Qur'an and they of course are the best interpretors.

Many thanks for the help :yes:
Original post by amerzeb
Qhurbani is the word for sacrificing an animal.

Well muslims do that on Eid ul Adha, the bigger Eid festival. sacrifice an animal and a 1/3 of the meat is given to the poor.

this link my answer your question.

http://www.islamawareness.net/Eid/azha.html

hope that answers the question.

It's not qurbani. It's something like you sacrifice something for God to give you something back :confused: Either that or you sacrifice the lamb and give it to the poor so that they pray for God to give you what you want like health or something along those lines
Reply 864
Original post by Vixen47
It's not qurbani. It's something like you sacrifice something for God to give you something back :confused: Either that or you sacrifice the lamb and give it to the poor so that they pray for God to give you what you want like health or something along those lines

im not sure what the definition is but is it sadaqah?
Original post by amerzeb
im not sure what the definition is but is it sadaqah?

Omg. I think that could be it.
If it is I'm gonna hate myself forever coz it's been staring me in the face all this time! :eek: I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 866
Original post by Vixen47
Omg. I think that could be it.
If it is I'm gonna hate myself forever coz it's been staring me in the face all this time! :eek: I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks! :biggrin:

its kool:biggrin:
Reply 868
Original post by CityOfMyHeart
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me quickly!

My boyfriend suffers from sleep paralysis and it seems to be quite bad - he's very frightened when it happens, and so he doesn't talk to me
about it much afterwards. It happens about once a month (that I'm aware of) and he's told me what Islam teach about it (i.e. how it's to do with Jinns etc).

I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to help him?

I don't know very much about Islam but could someone from the mosque help, maybe? Or are there any 'treatments' that you know of? Perhaps a way to be blessed or to help clear his mind or something like that?

If you have any suggestions, I'd be very grateful :smile:

what you should do is tell him to recite ayatul kursi 2:255 this verse is said to protect someone from Jinns. another thing to do is recite the last 3 chapters of the quran these are also used to protect yourself from the jinn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3kxkc7nYo

This is a good video.
Reply 869
Salaam.
Who is Imran in the Quran.
Reply 870
Original post by amerzeb
Salaam.
Who is Imran in the Quran.

In short he is the father of Mary.
And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient. At-Taĥrīm 66:12
Reply 871
In short he is the father of Mary.
And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient. At-Taĥrīm 66:12

jazakallah kair
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me quickly!

My boyfriend suffers from sleep paralysis and it seems to be quite bad - he's very frightened when it happens, and so he doesn't talk to me about it much afterwards. It happens about once a month (that I'm aware of) and he's told me what Islam teach about it (i.e. how it's to do with Jinns etc).

I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to help him?

I don't know very much about Islam but could someone from the mosque help, maybe? Or are there any 'treatments' that you know of? Perhaps a way to be blessed or to help clear his mind or something like that?

If you have any suggestions, I'd be very grateful :smile:

Tell him to dump you (no offense intended), it will resolve more important problems.

And to look into Ruqya
Why do Muslims who claim to follow the sunnah not undergo the same medical treatments that Muhammad used when he was ill? eg I hear Muhammad was a big fan of "cupping;" why don't Muslims do that today?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Perseveranze
Tell him to dump you (no offense intended), it will resolve more important problems.

And to look into Ruqya

I appreciate your help with the link, but I don't think it's your place to say anything about our relationship.
Reply 875
Original post by SaintSoldier
Why do Muslims who claim to follow the sunnah not undergo the same medical treatments that Muhammad used when he was ill? eg I hear Muhammad was a big fan of "cupping;" why don't Muslims do that today? Seems like a bit of a cop out to me...

Where do you get that idea from? I know loads of people that do do it, my uncle had it done recently.

And even if certain Muslims decide against it, that is their choice, it isn't obligatory..
Original post by SaintSoldier
Why do Muslims who claim to follow the sunnah not undergo the same medical treatments that Muhammad used when he was ill? eg I hear Muhammad was a big fan of "cupping;" why don't Muslims do that today?

[INDENT]

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.
First, the verse that is mentioned in the question (which means): {Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad ) you have a good example to follow.}[Qur'an 33:21], mentions the expression "good example", i.e. someone whom people imitate and follow. This Qur'anic verse is a great principle in following the example of the Prophet in his words and action. However, the verse does not specify in details the stages of this imitation and following it does not specify what is an obligation for us to imitate and what is only desirable. However, there are details about this in the books of jurisprudence.
Imitating and following the Prophet is not restricted to the principles only, but also in branches. For instance, washing our private parts after relieving oneself with our right hand is forbidden according to some scholars as the Prophet forbade us from doing so, and this is included in the branches. Washing our private parts from urine and excrement is an obligation and this is also included in branches. Eating with the right hand and the like are also among the matters in which we imitate the Prophet .
However, one should know that there is a difference between the Sunnan (plural of Sunnah) referring to actions of worship that we imitate the Prophet either as an obligation or just as something desirable, and the Sunnan referring to habitual acts that the Prophet used to do like combing his hair, (the manner of) turning back, having a bath from a container, the way he used to walk, and so forth.
A Muslim is not obliged to imitate him in these things although following his example in such matters means following the best and complete example, but whoever does not imitate him in such matters, is not sinful, and it is hoped that whoever imitates him, will be rewarded for that.
We hope that by now we have clarified some important issues to the questioner, which is that imitating the Prophet could be an obligation, or something desirable, either in principles or in branches and that there is a difference between the Sunnah about actions of worship and a habitual Sunnah.
Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=89725
[/INDENT]

I appreciate your help with the link, but I don't think it's your place to say anything about our relationship.

Fair enough, take it from the Islamic perspective, it's still the same. I mean, as far as your "boyfriend" should be concerned, his sinning/contradictory actions is alot worse of a problem than his bad dreams. And for all you know, could even be connected.

And as you said, it's not my place to say; but as a brother in Islam, I would wish him only good in regards. The choice ofcourse, is always his. From my experience, down the line, it doesn't end up well for anyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
[INDENT]

Fair enough, take it from the Islamic perspective, it's still the same. I mean, as far as your "boyfriend" should be concerned, his sinning/contradictory actions is alot worse of a problem than his bad dreams. And for all you know, could even be connected.

And as you said, it's not my place to say; but as a brother in Islam, I would wish him only good in regards. The choice ofcourse, is always his. From my experience, down the line, it doesn't end up well for anyone.

I've already thought about this and I understand what you're saying. But you have no idea whether I am a Muslim also, or indeed any other background information, let alone our context.

I came here to ask if someone could help me, and you provided that link, so that's all I require. Thanks for your time.
Reply 878
Original post by grad_dentist
Ultimately, what does Allah want from us?

What do we have to do to earn a place in Paradise?

Well , Believe that there is one and only one great god,Fear him and praise him , do everything that is considered moral , don't do anything that is considered unmoral and try to help people like giving charity to the poor etc , That's What I can Tell you
All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.
First, the verse that is mentioned in the question (which means): {Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad ) you have a good example to follow.}[Qur'an 33:21], mentions the expression "good example", i.e. someone whom people imitate and follow. This Qur'anic verse is a great principle in following the example of the Prophet in his words and action. However, the verse does not specify in details the stages of this imitation and following it does not specify what is an obligation for us to imitate and what is only desirable. However, there are details about this in the books of jurisprudence.
Imitating and following the Prophet is not restricted to the principles only, but also in branches. For instance, washing our private parts after relieving oneself with our right hand is forbidden according to some scholars as the Prophet forbade us from doing so, and this is included in the branches. Washing our private parts from urine and excrement is an obligation and this is also included in branches. Eating with the right hand and the like are also among the matters in which we imitate the Prophet .
However, one should know that there is a difference between the Sunnan (plural of Sunnah) referring to actions of worship that we imitate the Prophet either as an obligation or just as something desirable, and the Sunnan referring to habitual acts that the Prophet used to do like combing his hair, (the manner of) turning back, having a bath from a container, the way he used to walk, and so forth.
A Muslim is not obliged to imitate him in these things although following his example in such matters means following the best and complete example, but whoever does not imitate him in such matters, is not sinful, and it is hoped that whoever imitates him, will be rewarded for that.
We hope that by now we have clarified some important issues to the questioner, which is that imitating the Prophet could be an obligation, or something desirable, either in principles or in branches and that there is a difference between the Sunnah about actions of worship and a habitual Sunnah.
Allaah knows best.

So you get rewarded for using traditional medicine (eg cupping) instead of modern medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending