The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
well maybe a song and dance about mohammed :dontknow: i dont make the rules

But i have been told at muslim weddings, music is permitted, even dancing - one of those concessions given by scholars probably.

but listening to Jay-z on your ipod is forbidden in islam

Well the dance part is definitely against Islamic teachings. The ''song'' part is more complex. Some scholars say ''nasheeds'' are permissible as long as they only have acapella (and no instruments) etc.. And singing is allowed at certain events but under strict regulations..
Reply 921
Salaam-o-laykum everyone,
I was just wondering on what other Muslims think on Capital Punishment .... I know the Shariah law does use it for things like murder etc BUT Prophet Mohammed (SAW) said that if the victims family forgive the Murderer then the murderer can be spared.... and I think that people should always be forgiven no matter what they have done what do other Muslims think on this??? I told one of my class mates (who was not a Muslim of course) this and they replied you are not a Muslim then if you disagree with the shariah law and I just think day is stupid if people think that... I want to know wat other people think on this...... :smile:
Reply 922
The Holy Qur’aan reveals that Jinn are created from fire whereas the human beings are created from clay.

Is this considered literal by muslims?

We're quite clearly biochemically not clay, so how is this understood exactly?

Intrigued because muslims seem to take everything literally and this is rather hard to interpret in a literal sense.
Original post by RyanT
The Holy Qur’aan reveals that Jinn are created from fire whereas the human beings are created from clay.

Intrigued because muslims seem to take everything literally and this is rather hard to interpret in a literal sense.

I read something about this that explained it very well, I'll look for it and come back to answering this.
Original post by RyanT

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Creation_of_Humans_from_Clay

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/118560/science/religion_and_science_do_not_contradict_each_other.html
Reply 925
Do muslims who believe in Sharia also believe in death to apostates?

I dont think that answers his question, becuase the premise that we are carbon based can apply to almost everything above water, ie trees, mountains, rocks, grass, soil, compost are all carbon based. The quran could have said we are made form coal, which over 80% carbon, far more than clay.

The answer to the question is , yes muslims beleive the first man Adam was made of clay, moulded from the earth, becuase that is what is written in the quran, if they dont beleive that they cannot be practicing muslims.
Reply 927

Just FYI although wikiislam attempts to have the semblance of objectiveness, it's set up as a polemic site against Islam...
Reply 928
Original post by .eXe
Do muslims who believe in Sharia also believe in death to apostates?

Some Muslims don't, some Muslims do. Incidentally it was something that I learned from anti-Islam criticisms on thestudentroom as I never came across this word, apostate before. You know why?

Simply because these rulings are very intricately detailed to the point that they do not affect the daily practice of Muslims. This isn't so much a justification rather an insight into the application of Shari'ah- it's not straight head up kill scenario as I'm led to believe on here.
I guess it's different for each and every family when they go through grief like that. I also think diya (blood money) may have particular influence upon the forgiveness but at the end of the day, people should realize that "we have to forgive for the sake of Allah and him alone" and to use a murder to accumulate more wealth would be unjust to the victim.
What if all Muslims started to forgive the murderers? They will definitely take advantage. So once in a way they should be punished.

If a Muslim forgives a criminal and saves him from death, the criminal has a chance to repent, don't you think. So not forgiving is like taking the salvation out of him. But didn't he just kill an innocent Muslim? For a society to survive you should have tit for tat.
Anyway a real Muslim will not forgive a criminal for revenge. It's for the society's benefit and for the criminal himself.
Most of what needed to be said regarding the reasons has been done so above. Although forgiveness is better (The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah: for (Allah) loveth not those who do wrong. - [Qur'an: 42:40]), you should take into consideration the threat of the criminal and what kind of pain the family of the deceased must be going through.

Also, it's called Qisaas, which means equal retaliation.

If you murder someone deliberately, the family of the victim has three choices;

- Get Qisaas (have the murderer executed)
- Claim blood money (Really useful if your potential breadwinner was killed) and forgive them.
- Forgive them out of compassion.

If you murder someone accidentally, the family of the victim has the following choices;

- Claim blood money and forgive them.
- Forgive them out of compassion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Perseveranze
x

Could you ever have them detained? Like say the person is too poor to play blood money and you don't want to execute them.
Reply 933
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
What if all Muslims started to forgive the murderers? They will definitely take advantage. So once in a way they should be punished.

If a Muslim forgives a criminal and saves him from death, the criminal has a chance to repent, don't you think. So not forgiving is like taking the salvation out of him. But didn't he just kill an innocent Muslim? For a society to survive you should have tit for tat.
Anyway a real Muslim will not forgive a criminal for revenge. It's for the society's benefit and for the criminal himself.

yeh but Allah is watching and when the criminal dies won't Allah deal with him??? he will be punished so it won't be like that he won't be punished but if the family never forgive how will the family be expected to be forgive by Allah for their sins if they don't forgive so don't you think we should always be forgiving???
Original post by wizkidy
yeh but Allah is watching and when the criminal dies won't Allah deal with him??? he will be punished so it won't be like that he won't be punished but if the family never forgive how will the family be expected to be forgive by Allah for their sins if they don't forgive so don't you think we should always be forgiving???

We should only be forgiving when someone asks for forgiveness. Take that Breivik guy, for example. He killed 77 people and said he doesn't regret it and would kill more if he had the chance. Now, do you think any of the victims' families want to forgive him for killing their loved ones??
How do muslim, particulalry in the UK, reconcile the instruction in Islam of "staying away from idle thoughts" to watching and following football teams. Many on tsr do follow football relgiously, like much of the uk populations and spend time on tsr threads on that very sport. Obviously too there have been islamic regiemes like the taleban that have banned wathing football for this very islamic reason.
-----------------------
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Could you ever have them detained? Like say the person is too poor to play blood money and you don't want to execute them.

I did mention the 3rd one which is forgiveness, which can be with no strings attached.
Here's an example of it happening;

Buddhist Killers Pardoned by Muslim Victim’s Family

Relatives of a Muslim Sri Lankan worker murdered by his Buddhist colleague in Abu Dhabi told court they have decided to pardon the killer, prompting the judge to bring forward hearings for sentence.

An official from the Sri Lankan embassy in Abu Dhabi handed the pardon document from the victim’s relatives to court on Tuesday, the semi official Arabic language daily Alittihad said.

“They just pardoned the Buddhist killer without demanding any diya (blood money) taking into consideration that the killer’s family is poor,” it said.

It said the pardon prompted the judge to bring forward hearings to February 27 to issue a sentence after they were scheduled for June.

Source
Reply 938
Muslims, what would you say makes your religion unique? I've got my idea on the subject, but I want to see your answers first :smile:
Original post by Phaethon
Muslims, what would you say makes your religion unique? I've got my idea on the subject, but I want to see your answers first :smile:

I'll say its legit for sure.
Uniqueness, any religion can claim that, whether one which is true or one which is false.

Latest

Trending

Trending