The Student Room Group

What are the Best Sixth forms/colleges in Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by twelve
Yeahh the open evening is rubbish I have to admit. I didn't like the open evening when I was applying, but I realised afterwards that I didn't ask the right questions, and I didn't get anything much out of it. I helped out on the open evening when I was in yr13, and to be honest, it was soo awkward. Nobody knew what to ask, and so nobody knew what to tell them.

As a student, I can promise it isn't dull - if you walked around on the day of Comic Relief, or any of the days we dress up, you'll see its not boring. College parties weren't brilliant when I was there, it hass to be said, but people go to their own parties! And they are good... As for lessons, it depends which teachers you get, same with any college. But the great thing about it is that because its so big, you can be accomodated - you can swap subjects, and request to have lessons in other blocks. SO yeah, I can recommend it definitely - don't take everything from the open evening. It really isn't representative of how the college really is day to day.

How ironic... the open evening at CH was the opposite to what it's REALLY like...
Reply 41
I have my interview for King edward five ways next week!
Reply 42
Handsworth grammar.

Otherwise Solihull 6th form or JCC.
Reply 43
Seeing as you're a lad, KE Aston/Camp Hill etc. Lovely, lovely sixth-forms.
Reply 44
Has anyone had an interview for King edwards five ways yet?

I applied but only got an email saying they recieved my application blahblah, how long does it usually take?

Also what are the interviews like?

Also KEFW or CH? what would you say?
Reply 45
Original post by Biinaz

I applied but only got an email saying they recieved my application blahblah, how long does it usually take?

A few of my friends applied to five ways. Three of them got a reply for an interview, one of them had her interview yesterday. However, a few others still haven't received a letter etc about whether they have received an interview or not. Apparently it's completely random when they send out letters for interviews so you should get a reply sometime this week or even next week.

I've only applied to Camp Hill, and tbh you should pick the sixth form which you liked best at the open evening etc. :smile:
Original post by Biinaz

Some people have already them, they're doing half now and half in February I think. So some people will get them soon, within the next few weeks assumingly.
Original post by Mr Bling
Pheww! i thought i was the only one who didnt get a letter. Do they give them in no particular order or the strongest applicants first or something?

Probably completely random. I don't think any interviews work like that :smile:
Reply 48
I got the rejection letter is there any chance of me still getting in? I mean what is the chance of someone not meeting the needed grades? Are there usually some spaces that don’t get taken come results day due to bad grades? Do I still have a chance of getting into KEFW?
Reply 49
Original post by Biinaz
I got the rejection letter is there any chance of me still getting in? I mean what is the chance of someone not meeting the needed grades? Are there usually some spaces that don’t get taken come results day due to bad grades? Do I still have a chance of getting into KEFW?

what were you'r predicted grades.
Reply 50
Original post by Biinaz

helloo, im at KEFW sixth form (outside student) and i don't think they would let you in even after results day because they usually are over subscribed and competition is fierce
Reply 51
Best sixth form places in Birmingham is like the King Edwards lot

I would highly recommend KEFW though (even though it isn't better than Camphill/Handsworth) there is a mix of both boys and girls. I find that this helps improve the social life of pupils and I have a few friends at Camphill and Handsworth and they say when they attend the KEFW parties, it is so so much better :P
Reply 52
Original post by faithxfaye
helloo, im at KEFW sixth form (outside student) and i don't think they would let you in even after results day because they usually are over subscribed and competition is fierce

Yeah agree, I was accepted int KES Stratford.
Competition is VEYR fierce, theres like 40 places for outside students. And you had like 300 applying :L

They will go down the list to find the next guy if one of their accepted ones don't get the grades. It's unlikely its u if u have been rejected anyway
Reply 53
Original post by sophia_
Handsworth grammar.

Otherwise Solihull 6th form or JCC.

Handsworth? Are you high?
Reply 54
Hi, I'm looking for a new sixthform/college and I have applied for Solihull Sixthform college is that any good? I've been accepted and most likely that's the one I'll be going to but I'm just trying to find out some background information on it :smile:
KEFW/KE Camp Hill/BVGS

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I am probs going to go the solihull sixth form, looks good and a diveristy of people there, I got my interview on the 30th but my crappy school under-estimated me lol, B for additional science when I got an A for core last year? Yup my school are joking... but I should be able to get in lol.
Reply 57
Original post by Mr Bling
Im applying for Five Ways but Camp hill is a bit to far to travel everyday (1 Hour maybe more sometimes because of traffic where as Five ways is only 17 Mins) If i lived closer i would have fought for place there! Lol. Theres only one grammar near me but i didnt know about it before i started year 7 and you have to pay for that unless you are extremely clever and most of the places there are boarding. :frown:

Which grammar is that? I thought all grammar schools were free? If you getting the grades you can have go applying to King Edwards in Edgbaston (KES) or Solihull School both good private schools, they have scholarships for exceptional students like yourself. As fir good state schools try St Peters in Solihull for their sixth firm. I'm a Solihull school alumni but will admit King Edwards in
edgbaston is better and you get to do the International Baccalaureate (IB) if you prefer that to A Levels. Apparently International Baccalaurate is more respected by top unis abd top courses, maybe the extended essay helps not sure. Anyways have to get down to the Villa match I'll check this thread later, if you have any questions (this is to the op or anyone else to) feel free to ask.

Btw just for interest best comprehensive and grammar schools in the country by virtue of number of students going to Oxford or Cambridge:
Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet - 22%
Colchester Royal Grammar - 19%
Reading School for boys - 17%
Colyton Grammar School - 15%
Tiffins Girls’ School, London - 15%

Compare this to the equivalent Private schools using the same metric of numbers of students going to Oxford and Cambridge:
St Paul’s Girls’ School, London - 46%
Westminster School, London - 44%
Stephen Perse, Cambridge - 36%
St Paul’s School, London - 36%
North London Collegiate - 33%

A family friend went to Oxford from Reading School for Boys he is now a Management Cosultant.

Once when I was in Solihull School my business studies teacher told our class that when he went to St Paul's school in London (which is on the list above) he saw the schoolchildren actually open their books and start studying when waiting for their teacher to arrive. He stated this never happened at my school (even though it was a good school in the Midlands) and that was why St Paul's School in London was just a better school than ours.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
wanted to apply to king edwards stourbrigde do they accept igcse edexcel
Reply 59
Btw just for interest best comprehensive and grammar schools in the country by virtue of number of students going to Oxford or Cambridge:
Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet - 22%
Colchester Royal Grammar - 19%
Reading School for boys - 17%
Colyton Grammar School - 15%
Tiffins Girls’ School, London - 15%

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys had 15.8% of their students going to Oxbridge, just for reference

Quick Reply

Latest