The Student Room Group

What are the Best Sixth forms/colleges in Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by finnthehuman
It's not that bad, but if you are an able student, people will slow you down. I should have went to a grammar, but oh well. Good luck!

so, if you don't mind me asking, where do you go atm? Need ideas. :confused:
Original post by iiMarshmallow
so, if you don't mind me asking, where do you go atm? Need ideas. :confused:

JCC lol. I know this from personal experience. I made a stupid choice apply here. Ask me anything :smile:
JCC lol. I know this from personal experience. I made a stupid choice apply here. Ask me anything :smile:

Oh right..that's why you downgrade JCC? :smile: So are you from the 'very few white people'? I heard lots of somalians go there..if i'm correct. what subjects you taking?
Reply 83
Try all the grammar school ones, like camp hill, KES, five ways etc. Camp Hill would probably be one of the top but I've heard it's hard to get into especially if you're an external student as there would be a limited amount of spaces. But a non grammar college, I'd probably recommend Solihull Sixth Form. And Solihull School, the private one, is meant to be good but i know you can get a full scholarship to go there and sometimes they lower the price..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
I go to Solihull Sixth Form and would reccomend it. You don't need to go to a grammar or private school to get excellent grades if you work hard. I found that there's a lot of diversity... Whilst there are BTEC courses and students who want to go to work as soon as they leave, there are also students who go on to Oxbridge and Russel Group Universities.

Whilst Camp Hill is an excellent academic facility; people I know who have gone have left because they didn't like the atmosphere.

What about King Edward VI College? It's in Stourbridge so not sure if that's too far for you...
Oh right..that's why you downgrade JCC? :smile: So are you from the 'very few white people'? I heard lots of somalians go there..if i'm correct. what subjects you taking?

Nope, I am asain, but I am still quite white. Anyway, what I meant is that you won't get a mix of different people.
I am doing Chem,Bio,Psychology,History
Original post by Lialore
I go to Solihull Sixth Form and would reccomend it. You don't need to go to a grammar or private school to get excellent grades if you work hard. I found that there's a lot of diversity... Whilst there are BTEC courses and students who want to go to work as soon as they leave, there are also students who go on to Oxbridge and Russel Group Universities.

Whilst Camp Hill is an excellent academic facility; people I know who have gone have left because they didn't like the atmosphere.

What about King Edward VI College? It's in Stourbridge so not sure if that's too far for you...

I look forward to going there next year, if I am allowed to transfer. But if I do get good grades, I may stay lol. How do you think the teaching is there?
Reply 87
I look forward to going there next year, if I am allowed to transfer. But if I do get good grades, I may stay lol. How do you think the teaching is there?

All of my teachers are great. Haven't had any problems with them at all, they're really helpful and have time for you if you ask. I had an amazing teacher for AS Philosophy, absolutely inspirational; he's the reason I want to study it at University. But unfortunately, he left. I'm taught by the head of Humanities for History and he's also an amazing teacher, although busy a lot of the time, it can be quite hard to catch him to talk about coursework and what not but he tries his best. I have a good relationship with my English teacher, she's helped me with my University applications since the beginning.

I can only tell you about the departments I'm involved in.
Original post by Lialore
All of my teachers are great. Haven't had any problems with them at all, they're really helpful and have time for you if you ask. I had an amazing teacher for AS Philosophy, absolutely inspirational; he's the reason I want to study it at University. But unfortunately, he left. I'm taught by the head of Humanities for History and he's also an amazing teacher, although busy a lot of the time, it can be quite hard to catch him to talk about coursework and what not but he tries his best. I have a good relationship with my English teacher, she's helped me with my University applications since the beginning.

I can only tell you about the departments I'm involved in.

To be honest with I have some amazing teacher also, but it's one mediocre teacher that I don't want to name, that lets me down. They go to slow and the actual attitude of the college is like IDGAF. I want to go to somewhere where I can compete with the best to get better and get given the opportunities that I miss because of lazy people who don't revise or learn anything at home.
Reply 89
To be honest with I have some amazing teacher also, but it's one mediocre teacher that I don't want to name, that lets me down. They go to slow and the actual attitude of the college is like IDGAF. I want to go to somewhere where I can compete with the best to get better and get given the opportunities that I miss because of lazy people who don't revise or learn anything at home.

If you do come to TSSFC, make sure they know that. I think they kind of brushed me aside for a while until I told my teachers what I wanted to do, what I needed to achieve, where I wanted to study... Then they gave me much more attention.

But if you want to apply to Oxbridge they give you lots of support from the start of your first year. They like having poster boys/girls.
Original post by Lialore
If you do come to TSSFC, make sure they know that. I think they kind of brushed me aside for a while until I told my teachers what I wanted to do, what I needed to achieve, where I wanted to study... Then they gave me much more attention.

But if you want to apply to Oxbridge they give you lots of support from the start of your first year. They like having poster boys/girls.

If I do go, I would be a second year student anyway, depends on what grades I get this year anyway :biggrin:
Nope, I am asain, but I am still quite white. Anyway, what I meant is that you won't get a mix of different people.
I am doing Chem,Bio,Psychology,History

Whatever that means..:s-smilie: Yah, makes sense. I go to a school which is 100% Asian. My primary and secondary school, both full of asians. If i went to a sixth form, with more white people, I think it would be weird. :redface: Right, im planning to do Bio too, is the teaching there good? :confused:
Whatever that means..:s-smilie: Yah, makes sense. I go to a school which is 100% Asian. My primary and secondary school, both full of asians. If i went to a sixth form, with more white people, I think it would be weird. :redface: Right, im planning to do Bio too, is the teaching there good? :confused:

Depends. Like I said I have some great teachers but some less great. But it comes down to you. People can self teach this course so even if you have good teachers you must rely on yourself to get the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by hsv
Which grammar is that? I thought all grammar schools were free? If you getting the grades you can have go applying to King Edwards in Edgbaston (KES) or Solihull School both good private schools, they have scholarships for exceptional students like yourself. As fir good state schools try St Peters in Solihull for their sixth firm. I'm a Solihull school alumni but will admit King Edwards in
edgbaston is better and you get to do the International Baccalaureate (IB) if you prefer that to A Levels. Apparently International Baccalaurate is more respected by top unis abd top courses, maybe the extended essay helps not sure. Anyways have to get down to the Villa match I'll check this thread later, if you have any questions (this is to the op or anyone else to) feel free to ask.

Btw just for interest best comprehensive and grammar schools in the country by virtue of number of students going to Oxford or Cambridge:
Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet - 22%
Colchester Royal Grammar - 19%
Reading School for boys - 17%
Colyton Grammar School - 15%
Tiffins Girls’ School, London - 15%

Compare this to the equivalent Private schools using the same metric of numbers of students going to Oxford and Cambridge:
St Paul’s Girls’ School, London - 46%
Westminster School, London - 44%
Stephen Perse, Cambridge - 36%
St Paul’s School, London - 36%
North London Collegiate - 33%

A family friend went to Oxford from Reading School for Boys he is now a Management Cosultant.

Once when I was in Solihull School my business studies teacher told our class that when he went to St Paul's school in London (which is on the list above) he saw the schoolchildren actually open their books and start studying when waiting for their teacher to arrive. He stated this never happened at my school (even though it was a good school in the Midlands) and that was why St Paul's School in London was just a better school than ours.

could you please recommend some state sixth form colleges in birmingham? because I am coming from another country and I have no idea about it
Reply 94
Original post by asooma
could you please recommend some state sixth form colleges in birmingham? because I am coming from another country and I have no idea about it

If they are still taking sixth form students these days St Peter's School in Solihull is a good one, though when I went their their intake of external pupils was quite small though as I understand it if you are not a Catholic they need to have a certain amount of non catholics in the school which may help you if you are not a catholic. Let me do some more research and I will private message you or post it on here.
Reply 95
Hi :smile: I'm not from UK but I'm applying to colleges in Birmingham I was just wondering if MPW Birmingham was a good college ? Or if JCC is good ?
Reply 96
Original post by Roz2
Hi :smile: I'm not from UK but I'm applying to colleges in Birmingham I was just wondering if MPW Birmingham was a good college ? Or if JCC is good ?

MPW is good as if they still operate the way they used to when I was there they give you weekly tests to test your knowledge under exam like conditions in the study centre. It is a private college and the costs were around 9000 pounds a year for full time students doing 4 as levels when I was there if I remember correctly. JC is a state funded college so should be free if you are under 19 or up to the age 25 if it is your first level 3 qualification on the qualifications and credit framework, unless the rules have changed since when I was younger. I have heard it gets good results and seems to be popular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know which one to choose JC or Sutton Coldfield campus for BMC I have been offered both places and I'm moving from London to Birmingham.. Help!?
I don't know which one to choose JC or Sutton Coldfield campus for BMC I have been offered both places and I'm moving from London to Birmingham.. Help!?
Reply 99
What sixth form can I go to that does not have only whites because I have suffered from raisism and I want to feel like I am understood and the only thing that can help is being in a mix school with more blacks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending