The Student Room Group

I know this is going to sound pitiful, but how to make friends?

Right after christmas i'm going to be moving to London to live with my boyfriend, whom i love, but i feel that its important that i have a separate group of friends from his.
The thing is, I've been in school my whole life (currently in uni in canada), so i dont know how to meet people in "the real world"
I'm going to be looking for a job, but with my qualifications, there are few jobs that would have other young people around.
I'm relocating to a new country (obviously) so it isnt easy for me to visit friends from home when i'm feeling lonely, so I really need some tips on how to meet people
Any suggestions would be great!
(I've looked into taking a course of some sort, art or languages etc, but i'm fairly broke at the moment so that doesn't look feasible)
Reply 1
Original post by magulagie
I'm relocating to a new country (obviously) so it isnt easy for me to visit friends from home when i'm feeling lonely, so I really need some tips on how to meet people
Any suggestions would be great!
(I've looked into taking a course of some sort, art or languages etc, but i'm fairly broke at the moment so that doesn't look feasible)

Work, volunteering, online, hobby courses (some can be free), educational courses, gym, and just generally being an irritatingly friendly little **** :smile: Once you've met a few people, you can network through them, but it takes some effort to get it all started.
OP, I'm kind of in the same position as you and in the new year I'm thinking of joining this thing called London Social lite which I'm hoping will help me meet new people

This is the website:

https://www.socialite-london.com/default.aspx
Reply 3
I was in the same situation in Germany... Join www.couchsurfing.org. You don't have to host anyone necessarily, you could just go to couchsurfer meet-ups and organise events yourself. If you host people though then you meet people from all over the world! Was so useful for me especially if you're starting from nothing, and they're usually really nice, hospitable people in my experience.
Some sports are also really cheap, I do trampolining and it doesn't cost a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending