The Student Room Group

M2 Jan 12 Edexcel - Past Papers, Model answers, tips

I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

I do not have access to the papers before the exam

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1618497
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Arsey
I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

I do not have access to the papers before the exam

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1618497

anyone doing m3 solutions?
Reply 2
Yay, thank you! (For the Jun '11 link)

Hoping to get a good grade in this so I don't have to resit. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Hey Arsey
Thanks very much for doing this thread-been waiting for this!!
Looking back in your June 2011 thread on M2, you mentioned leaving answers to 3sf whereas in your model solutions you leave answers to 2sf. So just wondering whether you leave your answers to 3sf or 2sf?
Also does this apply to other exams such as S2?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I have put the Jan and June 11 model in the OP of this thread
Reply 5
Original post by ashk9999
Hey Arsey
Thanks very much for doing this thread-been waiting for this!!
Looking back in your June 2011 thread on M2, you mentioned leaving answers to 3sf whereas in your model solutions you leave answers to 2sf. So just wondering whether you leave your answers to 3sf or 2sf?
Also does this apply to other exams such as S2?

general rule of thumb for all Maths papers is 3sf; unless stated otherwise.

However, if you have approx g to 9.8 you ought to give final answers to 2sf. If you give such answers beyond 3sf you will lose a mark.
Original post by Arsey
general rule of thumb for all Maths papers is 3sf; unless stated otherwise.

However, if you have approx g to 9.8 you ought to give final answers to 2sf. If you give such answers beyond 3sf you will lose a mark.

Hey Arsey, I was just wondering if you had any recommend tips for a method of checking work. I usually feel exhausted when I get to the end of a paper but seem to finish with at least 20 minutes to go.

I wonder if this thread will liven up
In January 2010, question 7, what is the point of the magnitude signs? I got the answer correct except for the magnitudes. Another question with regard to this one is that in the markscheme they do the calculations for distance from SR using x(bar), shouldn't it be y(bar)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
So I have this exam on Friday and I only just started learning it's content tonight. I am a ****ing moron and I hate myself :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by TheUltimateProof
Hey Arsey, I was just wondering if you had any recommend tips for a method of checking work. I usually feel exhausted when I get to the end of a paper but seem to finish with at least 20 minutes to go.

I wonder if this thread will liven up

Hey we`re hopefully going to the same cambridge college next year :smile:

Anyway I did have a question

"A uniform ladder rests with one end on rough horizontal ground and the other end against a rough vertical wall. The coefficient of friction between the ground and the ladder is 0.6 and the coefficient of friction between the wall and the ladder is 1/3. The ladder is on the point of slipping when it makes an angle x with the horizontal. Find tanx."

I got that sinx = 0 and hence x - 0 not good. The answer is 2/3 but the only way i could get this to work was by making the friction with the wall a clockwise moment around the base of the ladder, which goes against my understanding of friction.
Ill rep anyone who helps me xxx
Reply 10
Original post by agentalexandre
In January 2010, question 7, what is the point of the magnitude signs? I got the answer correct except for the magnitudes. Another question with regard to this one is that in the markscheme they do the calculations for distance from SR using x(bar), shouldn't it be y(bar)?

Lol lol - our class and teacher struggled with this one for ages - look at the question - you dont know which side of that line the centre of mass is, it depend son the value of a - so youre either going to get a positive or negative answer depending on which direction you took to be positive. That the point of the modulus signs
Reply 11
I shall watch this thread. :tongue:
Original post by Einy

"A uniform ladder rests with one end on rough horizontal ground and the other end against a rough vertical wall. The coefficient of friction between the ground and the ladder is 0.6 and the coefficient of friction between the wall and the ladder is 1/3. The ladder is on the point of slipping when it makes an angle x with the horizontal. Find tanx."

I got that sinx = 0 and hence x - 0 not good. The answer is 2/3 but the only way i could get this to work was by making the friction with the wall a clockwise moment around the base of the ladder, which goes against my understanding of friction.

The information for this question seems to be less than usual, no measurements given at all. where is it from? Try giving the whole rod a length, with CoM at midpoint, then resolve as much as you can. Works out.

Hopefully see ya at Pembroke next years :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone have a list or anything of all the equations we need to memorise?! It would be so appreciated!
Anyone doing M3 here?
Reply 15
Original post by Einy

If we call:

R=Reaction at the ground
0.6R=Fmax at the ground
W=Weight half way up the ladder
S=Reaction at the wall
S/3=Fmax at the wall
2a=length of ladder

Resolving vertically gives: R + S/3 = W

Resolving horizontally gives: 0.6R=S or R=5S/3

Substituting this into the first equation gives: 5S/3 + S/3 = W so 2S=W

Taking moments from the bottom of the ladder gives:

Wacosx = 2Sasinx + (2Sacosx)/3 but 2S=W

so:

Wacosx = Wasinx + (Wacosx)/3

dividing by Wacosx gives:

1 = tanx + 1/3
tanx=2/3

Hope this helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Only really just started doing revision for this exam... It's a lot harder than I remembered it to be.

Despite only doing M1 last week, Kinematics/Statics feels so difficult.

Anyway, quick question. What's the difference between "The work done against Friction" and "The work done by friction". In two separate questions they ask this, but the particle is moving at constant velocity up the plane in both so I can't understand what the difference is and I expect it's either a mistake or they're the same?

Thanks
In the (chapter 5) slope questions, how do you know which way friction is acting? I always put it acting to the right because I usually assume that it will be moving to the left. Is there any rules on working this out? :-/ I do really good in some papers but just as bad in others.
Reply 18
Original post by dnumberwang
Anyone doing M3 here?

I am
For 4b) You use work done against friction. Why dont you first subtract the gravitational force which is driving it down the plane. so 30gsin20-uR= F, then times it by Distance to get work done. Instead you just use the frictional force.

I think I understand because its work done so the force which is pushing it is irrelavent. However I dont want to be in two minds in the exam. Can someone clear this up for me. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest