Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mark.I
Thanks for instilling confidence in me.

No worries. Just work hard now.
Reply 21
Original post by choc_1209
arsey, do you do FP2, FP3 or M3?

I can sort some FP2 solutions out, I doubt I will have time to look into M3. We don't offer FP3, so no to that.

I will be doing

C1-C4
D1
M1-M2
FP1
S1
Reply 22
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

I do not have access to the papers before the exam

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619322

Just done one of the practise papers (B) for FP1 that you provided, and there's a step of working I don't get. Question 6, part D,

you say that matrix B is ( 2/root2, 0) (bottom is 0, 2/root2) and then you say after another equals sign, that Matrix B therefore equals (root 2, 0) (bottom is 0, root 2). Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for the papers!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Arsey
I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

Arsey, I'm actually freaking out about this exam. Like seriously..
Do you have any advice?
Thanks xD
Reply 24
don't freak out.

do every past paper 2-3 times (inc mocks, specimen), then supplement it with mixed ex in the TB, review ex in the TB and the exam paper in the TB.
Reply 25
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
don't freak out.

do every past paper 2-3 times (inc mocks, specimen), then supplement it with mixed ex in the TB, review ex in the TB and the exam paper in the TB.

Would you mind having a look at my post, it seems you don't accept PMs! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by JOR2010
Would you mind having a look at my post, it seems you don't accept PMs! :smile:

I will.

I don't accept PMs; I was getting too many specials asking me stupid stuff, like the papers before the actual exam.
Reply 27
Original post by JOR2010
Just done one of the practise papers (B) for FP1 that you provided, and there's a step of working I don't get. Question 6, part D,

you say that matrix B is ( 2/root2, 0) (bottom is 0, 2/root2) and then you say after another equals sign, that Matrix B therefore equals (root 2, 0) (bottom is 0, root 2). Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for the papers!

I have just rationalised the denominators. multiplied both top and bottom by root 2. Not sure if this is required without checking the MS
Reply 28
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
I have just rationalised the denominators. multiplied both top and bottom by root 2. Not sure if this is required without checking the MS

Thanks, just realised myself too! Would an unrationalised denominator have been fine?
Reply 29
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey

I was wondering if you had the FP1 June 11 without the model answers included, so I can possibly do it as a past paper? Thanks!
Original post by JOR2010
I was wondering if you had the FP1 June 11 without the model answers included, so I can possibly do it as a past paper? Thanks!

Schools will be using the June '11 series as mocks so Arsey won't be making them available.
Reply 31
Original post by snow leopard

Schools will be using the June '11 series as mocks so Arsey won't be making them available.

I thought so, it's just I'm self-studying, so there won't be such a scenario for me! I'll have a look where you suggested.
Reply 32

Found it all now, thanks very much!
Reply 33

I wonder if solving linear equations using matrices will come up, it never seems to have done on any past papers!
Reply 34
it could, but I would be surprised.
Reply 35
There are some video tutorials at www.m4ths.com for FP1
Reply 36
Original post by Arsey
I can sort some FP2 solutions out, I doubt I will have time to look into M3. We don't offer FP3, so no to that.

I will be doing

C1-C4
D1
M1-M2
FP1
S1

Hi Arsey,
How do you compare FP1 with C1-4 and M1-2, is it is easier or difficult? I am doing further maths (FP1,2,3, M3, S1,2), giving FP1 and M3 in Jan.
I have done all the questions from chapters and review exercises from edexcel FP1 book but haven't solved a past paper yet, is it important to solve papers for FP1 ( i am looking forward for 100/100 in FP1)?
Last year i also used to follow similar routine which is working from the book and just solving a couple of past papers a day before the exam, is it fine for FP1.
I did maths last year scored 575/600, A* (C1 97/100 C2 94/100 C3 98/100 C4 96/100 M1 100/100 M2 90/100)
I will probably do some past papers for it because last year i didn't practice even a single paper for M2 that's why i didn't scored well in it, i was very slow during the paper which cost me.
What do you advice for preparing M3?
Thanks in advance
Reply 37
I think FP1 sits in between C2 and C3; it really isn't that hard. It is hard to relate it to an applied module because it just depends how you get on with them. Some students who study Physics find M1 a doddle, some students find M1 impossible.

I think it is absolutely essential to do every past paper before a module exam. However, whatever you have been doing clearly works for you.

Why no Decision Maths?

If I were you I would consider doing D1, D2 and M4 for fun. That was you can claim;

A2 Maths
A2 Further Maths
AS Additional Further Maths.

You can mix and match your units; basically if your other module results are good you can walk into say M4 having done next to no work for it; get a minimal mark and still get an A* in A2 Further.
Reply 38
Original post by raheem94
Hi Arsey,
How do you compare FP1 with C1-4 and M1-2, is it is easier or difficult? I am doing further maths (FP1,2,3, M3, S1,2), giving FP1 and M3 in Jan.
I have done all the questions from chapters and review exercises from edexcel FP1 book but haven't solved a past paper yet, is it important to solve papers for FP1 ( i am looking forward for 100/100 in FP1)?
Last year i also used to follow similar routine which is working from the book and just solving a couple of past papers a day before the exam, is it fine for FP1.
I did maths last year scored 575/600, A* (C1 97/100 C2 94/100 C3 98/100 C4 96/100 M1 100/100 M2 90/100)
I will probably do some past papers for it because last year i didn't practice even a single paper for M2 that's why i didn't scored well in it, i was very slow during the paper which cost me.
What do you advice for preparing M3?
Thanks in advance

For some reason you got a negative rep thingy for your post. Strange..Possibly becuase you did well in your exams..that seems the nature of our scoiety.
From teaching FP1/FP2 and knowing FP3 I would say the level of complexity for FP1 is slightly beyond C2 in the fact you have to sometimes think a little differently for example on proof by induction.
The coordinate geometry section can fox less able students also.
Its not though highly taxing in comparison to FP2/3 which are a country mile beyond FP1 in terms of sorting the more able students. Its harder to blag your way through the further modules in comparison to the core ones.
I really like FP2, like FP3 and think FP1 is ok but not mindblowingly interesting.
Reply 39
Original post by Arsey
I think FP1 sits in between C2 and C3; it really isn't that hard. It is hard to relate it to an applied module because it just depends how you get on with them. Some students who study Physics find M1 a doddle, some students find M1 impossible.

I think it is absolutely essential to do every past paper before a module exam. However, whatever you have been doing clearly works for you.

Why no Decision Maths?

If I were you I would consider doing D1, D2 and M4 for fun. That was you can claim;

A2 Maths
A2 Further Maths
AS Additional Further Maths.

You can mix and match your units; basically if your other module results are good you can walk into say M4 having done next to no work for it; get a minimal mark and still get an A* in A2 Further.

I accept your opinion that i should have gone for decision maths as well, i seriously considered it.
I am self-studying so doing AS additional further maths will increase my burden.
Last year i did complete a-level maths(575/600, A*) and chemistry(572/600, A*). My chemistry teacher was very good so my school teaching was enough for it while my maths teacher wasn't good so despite attending the classes i had to self-study it. Core mathematics is quite simple so the book was enough to study it while for mechanics i needed to get a bit of help from the internet as well.
Now i am studying further maths and physics this year. I am studying physics at school but studying further maths myself. In my school no one does further maths, i am the only person doing it this year. I thought to go for D1 and D2 instead of S1 and S2 but didn't firm the decision because i had no idea about decision maths while i knew that statistics is simple because usually the weakest students do it. I also serious considering taking M4 and M5 instead of S1 and S2 but couldn't make the decision firm because i think that for mechanics some help is required to perfect the concepts and the resources on internet are usually for M1 and M2.

Latest

Trending

Trending