The Student Room Group

C4 Jan 12 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion - Solutions in first post

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Preetinder
But if everyone gets enough good luck that everyone gets 100%, then that's guaranteeing them 100% UMS too, so it doesn't matter how the grade boundaries change then :biggrin:

Mind you, my chances of getting 100% on the paper are as good as the chances of me getting into Oxbridge :colondollar:

huh you got into oxbridge?
Original post by lordvulture
huh you got into oxbridge?

I wish!! :biggrin: (Ironically I don't..but I wouldn't mind Oxbridge, but anyway..)

I was saying my chances of getting 100% on C4 are like my chances of getting into Oxbridge, as in I have no chance..:smile: I didn't apply to Oxbridge, thus have no chance of getting in, the same way that I have no chance of getting 100% on Core 4 :smile:

Unless all the qus are partial fractions based or something :colone:
Original post by Preetinder
I wish!! :biggrin: (Ironically I don't..but I wouldn't mind Oxbridge, but anyway..)

I was saying my chances of getting 100% on C4 are like my chances of getting into Oxbridge, as in I have no chance..:smile: I didn't apply to Oxbridge, thus have no chance of getting in, the same way that I have no chance of getting 100% on Core 4 :smile:

Unless all the qus are partial fractions based or something :colone:

oo haha, I misunderstood you, since you said something about everyone getting 100% :smile:

100% isn't hard, just have check everything :P guarenteeing 100% is extremely difficult, but having a 20-40% chance of getting 100% isn't too difficult to achieve
Original post by lordvulture
oo haha, I misunderstood you, since you said something about everyone getting 100% :smile:

100% isn't hard, just have check everything :P guarenteeing 100% is extremely difficult, but having a 20-40% chance of getting 100% isn't too difficult to achieve

Yeah I agree with you on that, plus C4 imo is much easier than C3-and if I could go from a D to 3 marks off an A in C3, then I thought I'd do really well in C4. But I had C2 on 13th Jan, I need 92% (or more) in C2, or C4, to get an A overall. So I've been focusing on C2 alot for a few weeks, and not really on C4 until this month, that's why I know I'm going to resit it in summer :biggrin:
Reply 64
Good luck everyone! Did anyone have any trouble on Jan 2011 - particularly the latter part of the Binomial question - q.5 b & c? I got the answer in the end, but for a hard paper the grade boundaries were particularly high. I got 61ish, so that's still a B...
June 2010 - q5:

I got the values of A B and C as 2, 17/3 and -8/3 respectively, and my series expansion to x^2 was -5 -5x -6x^2.

I checked this on Wolfram and it's correct, but according to the mark scheme the answer if different and I would not have received more than about 5 marks out of this 11 (taking method into account). Anyone have any idea why?

ETA: OH MY GOD I'm so stupid. I read the question wrong! read +10 instead of -10. If I do this in the real exam, I will literally beat myself up, physically and mentally.
just interested to know - what happens in terms of marks if you misinterpret the question? Would they dock a few marks, but then follow the working with your version of the question, and still give you a decent mount if your answer is still "correct"? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Netferatu
why cant u integrate (Sinx)^2 normally? Why do we have to change it to cos2x??? thanks.

Because when you integrate it you end up having to divide by cosx; and you aren't allowed to do that with a variable (if that helps?).
Reply 67
Hey, could anyone go over constants when solving differential equations? If you've integrated the dy side to give say ln (y) what do you do with the constant? Are you meant to like make + c be +lnC then multiply that with the other ln's or...what? :mad:
Reply 68
after the mean last question on the c3 paper im expecting a nasty end to this paper they will throw something different in

edexcel were critisiced for the maths exams being very predictable
Reply 69
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain

I got a U in it after spending 75 minutes in the exam drawing a farm as I couldn't do any of it, so yeah :p:

Hence why I'm resitting :biggrin:

So am I gudluck!!!
Original post by S.V.Johny
So am I gudluck!!!

Good luck to you too.

I only need 31 extra UMS from C3 and C4 combined which I got 54 and 24 in retrospectively, think I got at least a B in C3 so should only need a D in this but want as high as possible to give me leeway :grumble:
Reply 71
Good luck to you too.

I only need 31 extra UMS from C3 and C4 combined which I got 54 and 24 in retrospectively, think I got at least a B in C3 so should only need a D in this but want as high as possible to give me leeway :grumble:

wow!!! i need 79 :frown:
Anyone got the specimen paper? Thanks
Original post by S.V.Johny
wow!!! i need 79 :frown:

i need 84 for an A* :frown:
Reply 74
I thought that to get an A* you had to get above 90UMS in C3 and C4? :confused:
Reply 75
Original post by ojeavons
I thought that to get an A* you had to get above 90UMS in C3 and C4? :confused:

It's an average across the two,

for example I need 86 from this module, because I fluked a 96 in C3.
Original post by Glennith
It's an average across the two,

for example I need 86 from this module, because I fluked a 96 in C3.

Think you mean you need 84 from this module :smile:
Reply 77
Double integration by parts for like 9 marks lol
Reply 78
Good Luck everyone ! hopefully this paper won't be as surprising as C3 :-)
Reply 79
Think I got 72/75 in C3 going by Arsey's solutions, so need about 65-68 on this to get an A*... Am bricking it :frown:

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending