Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough SEFS Information Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigV
x

Original post by Sh47
x

I own most of the books on the recommended reading list.

I find Jim, Physics, 2nd Edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. The best physics one on the list.

The Schaum's outline series is useful for topics that I was not strong at.

Technician Mathematics 3 seems to be the book that the maths lecturer refers to in maths, although I never really got round/never needed to use any of the books I brought.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
Original post by BigV
If the worst case scenario should happen, you can always resit the SEFS modules you fail. Also, when I spoke to the administrator I was told about 80% of people progress from the SEFS to the degree, so the odds are good if you are willing to work. Also, they have the two maths support centres so help is at hand.

I'm coming at it from GCSE grade C and no other science...... but I have been told by various people that at Loughborough they do not let people on to courses unless they think they can succeed.....so just being there is proof enough you can achieve the 80 + 70% you need.

I'm lucky for EEE all they want is 50% overall and 60% in maths and MMF110.

How many times can you retake an exam? and at what points during the year can you retake? for example if you were to mess up in semester one and two? I guess if we work hard we can get in to the desired department, i guesss 80% would be about an A grade
Reply 22
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I own most of the books on the recommended reading list.

I find Jim, Physics, 2nd Edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. The best physics one on the list.

The Schaum's outline series is useful for topics that I was not strong at.

Technician Mathematics 3 seems to be the book that the maths lecturer refers to in maths, although I never really got round/never needed to use any of the books I brought.

Is it possible to obtain any offical practice papers for the maths and physics units (MAF001, MAF002, PHF110 and PHF210) i have looked on the lougborough website everywhere and the internet? thanks coffey
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sh47
Is it possible to obtain any offical practice papers for the maths and physics units (MAF001, MAF002, PHF110 and PHF210) i have looked on the lougborough website everywhere and the internet? thanks coffey

There exists past papers for all those modules. Though you'd have to ask the university if you can have a look at them (Universities tend to allow so from experience).
Reply 24
Original post by Sh47
How many times can you retake an exam? and at what points during the year can you retake? for example if you were to mess up in semester one and two? I guess if we work hard we can get in to the desired department, i guesss 80% would be about an A grade

I think it is a one time deal only, unless there are exceptional circumstances....... in which case I guess you might be allowed to re-sit twice.

I think there is the special (re) assessment period which happens in the summer or if you duff up enough modules you would probably have to resit the following academic year.

I really wouldn't start thinking about all that. If you attend, put the work in and ask for help as required I'm sure there is no reason why you can't pass first time.
As far as i'm aware if you get 30-40% you can resit. If you get under 30% you need pay for tuition resit where you attend lectures. I cant confirm this as I've never looked into it.
Reply 26
Thanks Guys for the info and good luck for your respective courses, great thread
Reply 27

Hi, just out of interest, do you know if SEFS students are entitled to the unversity busary in the same was as normal undergrads?
Original post by BigV
Hi, just out of interest, do you know if SEFS students are entitled to the unversity busary in the same was as normal undergrads?

You get a SEFS scholarship of £1000. It depends on the course progression criteria.

For physics I need 70% in mathematics and 60% in physics/Overall.

For the scholarship I need 70% overall and 75%+ in every physics/maths module.
Reply 29
You get a SEFS scholarship of £1000. It depends on the course progression criteria.

For physics I need 70% in mathematics and 60% in physics/Overall.

For the scholarship I need 70% overall and 75%+ in every physics/maths module.

Yes but I mean are students entitled to any financial help through the SEFS year (while studying it), apart from what Student finance offer.

My understanding is the scholarship kicks in for year one of the degree, assuming the pass criteria are met, where as bursaries are conditional only on household income. However, I can't figure out if busaries apply to the foundation year or not.
Original post by BigV
Yes but I mean are students entitled to any financial help through the SEFS year (while studying it), apart from what Student finance offer.

My understanding is the scholarship kicks in for year one of the degree, assuming the pass criteria are met, where as bursaries are conditional only on household income. However, I can't figure out if busaries apply to the foundation year or not.

You get a means tested bursary from the university. Mine depends on my parents earnings.
Reply 31
You get a means tested bursary from the university. Mine depends on my parents earnings.

Excellent. thanks :smile:
I will possibly revamp this thread at some point and make it more into a FAQ when I get time.
Reply 33
Hey this is a great thread! I am currently doing 2 A Levels and 2 AS Levels (Maths and App Ict A2) (App Science AS) (Already secured an A grade in Media AS) reason because i got kicked out my sixth form for crap AS grades (AEEE) so i went to a new one and was allowed to carry on maths and ict but not media, i did physics in AS aswell but flopped, but they dont offer A2 physics so i had to take applied science AS.

i wanna do computer science at uni, and looking at ur thread made me more confident at doing it at Loughborough uni through a foundation year. I wanna know how you apply for it? and how long does it take to get a reply from them about it ? is it a conditional or unconditional offer? and also are you treated the same as undergraduates taking full degrees? freshers etc?i really wanna do computer science at uni, wanna become a software developer so bad!! loughborough is perfect because i got mates who go there and they love it! i know im gna have to work hard in foundation year, i live in kent atm so the prospect of living away in loughborough is exciting me for 2013, let me know guys!! :smile:
Original post by Azar123
Hey this is a great thread! I am currently doing 2 A Levels and 2 AS Levels (Maths and App Ict A2) (App Science AS) (Already secured an A grade in Media AS) reason because i got kicked out my sixth form for crap AS grades (AEEE) so i went to a new one and was allowed to carry on maths and ict but not media, i did physics in AS aswell but flopped, but they dont offer A2 physics so i had to take applied science AS.

i wanna do computer science at uni, and looking at ur thread made me more confident at doing it at Loughborough uni through a foundation year. I wanna know how you apply for it? and how long does it take to get a reply from them about it ? is it a conditional or unconditional offer? and also are you treated the same as undergraduates taking full degrees? freshers etc?i really wanna do computer science at uni, wanna become a software developer so bad!! loughborough is perfect because i got mates who go there and they love it! i know im gna have to work hard in foundation year, i live in kent atm so the prospect of living away in loughborough is exciting me for 2013, let me know guys!! :smile:

I got a reply late November/Early December.

Conditional, based on my A-level results. Unconditional are for when you already have the required qualifications.

Yeah pretty much the same, you have the same access to all the facilities and get treated as a full time student.
Reply 35
Original post by Azar123

I'm doing the computer science foundation year starting in a few weeks :smile: I sent my ucas application at the beginning of December, and got my conditional offer from Loughborough late February. All SEFS students are classed as being undergrads, it even says so on the website so there's no need to feel different from anyone starting on the first year of their degree :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
Original post by lizzxo
I'm doing the computer science foundation year starting in a few weeks :smile: I sent my ucas application at the beginning of December, and got my conditional offer from Loughborough late February. All SEFS students are classed as being undergrads, it even says so on the website so there's no need to feel different from anyone starting on the first year of their degree :smile:

thank you lizz! good luck to ya!!! :smile: hopefully you pass it i wish u all the best, u waited quite a while to get a reply tho didnt u lol but yh seems good to me!! :smile: what grades did u get in AS at the time? thanks
Reply 37
I got a reply late November/Early December.

Conditional, based on my A-level results. Unconditional are for when you already have the required qualifications.

Yeah pretty much the same, you have the same access to all the facilities and get treated as a full time student.

ahh that sounds amazing to me! :smile: thank you!! loughborough looks quality, anyone know the male to female ratio because the only downer i heard is that it does become a cockfest lol :P
Original post by Azar123
ahh that sounds amazing to me! :smile: thank you!! loughborough looks quality, anyone know the male to female ratio because the only downer i heard is that it does become a cockfest lol :P

Loughborough in general was like 65:35 but the quality > quantity.

As for the SEFS course there was maybe 15-20 girls out out of 140 students.
Reply 39
Original post by Azar123
thank you lizz! good luck to ya!!! :smile: hopefully you pass it i wish u all the best, u waited quite a while to get a reply tho didnt u lol but yh seems good to me!! :smile: what grades did u get in AS at the time? thanks

Hehe thankyou :biggrin: :biggrin: yeah they were the second to last to reply, but I still had all my offers within 3months do it's all good :smile:

AS I got BCDD (ict, maths, French & economics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending