The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough SEFS Information Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I'm due to start SEFS in a couple of weeks but am having second thoughts about my destination degree course. I'm currently accepted for Materials but am thinking about changing to Chemistry. The modules for Materials and Chemistry are similar and i can take modules that cover both degrees. I have contacted Julie Reay (SEFS admin) about changing my degree and she said i'll have to wait until my results after semester 1 before i can request a transfer to the new department, but there are no guarantees.

So my question is.... do you know of any students from your year in SEFS that successfully transferred to a different destination degree (at lboro)?

Oh and congratulations on achieving so much :smile:

x
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by spottedtree
Hi there,

I'm due to start SEFS in a couple of weeks but am having second thoughts about my destination degree course. I'm currently accepted for Materials but am thinking about changing to Chemistry. The modules for Materials and Chemistry are similar and i can take modules that cover both degrees. I have contacted Julie Reay (SEFS admin) about changing my degree and she said i'll have to wait until my results after semester 1 before i can request a transfer to the new department, but there are no guarantees.

So my question is.... do you know of any students from your year in SEFS that successfully transferred to a different destination degree (at lboro)?

Oh and congratulations on achieving so much :smile:

x

Julie is very helpful!

Quite a few students transfer degree destination and it is relatively easy if you do the correct modules and get good scores. I do not know the required modules for chemistry and materials but for your optional modules I would try keep them chemistry orientated. Possibly ask your tutor when you are given one.

I just looked at the modules, you can take chemistry as all your optional modules.

Odd they would not let you change before, I was allowed to change from Computer Science to Physics before I started.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Julie is very helpful!

Quite a few students transfer degree destination and it is relatively easy if you do the correct modules and get good scores. I do not know the required modules for chemistry and materials but for your optional modules I would try keep them chemistry orientated. Possibly ask your tutor when you are given one.

I just looked at the modules, you can take chemistry as all your optional modules.

Odd they would not let you change before, I was allowed to change from Computer Science to Physics before I started.

I figured with only two weeks left before i start it's too much paperwork to change me now.

I don't really want to do physics in my second semester as i could do something more Chem orientated, but it's preferred for Materials and I may not get onto Chem.

Think it's worth emailing the Chem Admissions Tutor?

Thanks for the quick reply.

x
I figured with only two weeks left before i start it's too much paperwork to change me now.

I don't really want to do physics in my second semester as i could do something more Chem orientated, but it's preferred for Materials and I may not get onto Chem.

Think it's worth emailing the Chem Admissions Tutor?

Thanks for the quick reply.

x

Not quite sure why its preferred, the only relevant bits were possibly quantum mechanics.

Yeah I would email them outlining your intentions and any advice regarding modules. I cant remember who the chemistry Tutor is it might be Sandie, she was helpful.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Not quite sure why its preferred, the only relevant bits were possibly quantum mechanics.

Yeah I would email them outlining your intentions and any advice regarding modules. I cant remember who the chemistry Tutor is it might be Sandie, she was helpful.

Thanks for the advice. I'll email Sandie and see what she says. I'd rather sort it before i get there. My semester 1 modules wouldn't change anyway, so that's not an issue, just don't want to be stressing about changing things last minute.

Typical I would leave my final decision until a couple of weeks before term starts! lol.

Cheers :smile:
x
Reply 45
Okay guys, I think I made a huge mistake. I basically emailed Loughborough Foundation help about my circumstances in A Levels, a woman called Sian replied saying that I am not eligible for an offer. Was this stupid ? Should I have just applied and see if I get the offer by chance? I basically emailed them my situation and why my AS grades went terribly wrong, and they said that according to what I have said in the email, I would not receive an offer? :/ Did I just blow my chances? I didn't give too much away in my email, only my first name thats it.

What can I do guys? Really want an offer, just reminding you that I took Physics and Maths AS and received E grade in both (Along with Media Studies (A) and Applied ICT (E)) and I think the fact I took them two in AS is the reason why they won't give me an offer. But at A2, I dropped Physics, carried on Maths and ICT A2, and took up Applied Science AS. Sorry for this long story but Im worried that I just ruined my chances of getting an offer for foundation from loughborough? im working hard this year to get A grades for all those subjects so please let me know what i can do thank you.
Original post by Azar123
Okay guys, I think I made a huge mistake. I basically emailed Loughborough Foundation help about my circumstances in A Levels, a woman called Sian replied saying that I am not eligible for an offer. Was this stupid ? Should I have just applied and see if I get the offer by chance? I basically emailed them my situation and why my AS grades went terribly wrong, and they said that according to what I have said in the email, I would not receive an offer? :/ Did I just blow my chances? I didn't give too much away in my email, only my first name thats it.

What can I do guys? Really want an offer, just reminding you that I took Physics and Maths AS and received E grade in both (Along with Media Studies (A) and Applied ICT (E)) and I think the fact I took them two in AS is the reason why they won't give me an offer. But at A2, I dropped Physics, carried on Maths and ICT A2, and took up Applied Science AS. Sorry for this long story but Im worried that I just ruined my chances of getting an offer for foundation from loughborough? im working hard this year to get A grades for all those subjects so please let me know what i can do thank you.

What did you say in the email? I dont understand the problem.
Reply 47
Hi I applied to the SEFS but I have just read it should be made clear in your application where you intend to go afterwards, something which I have not done but I have said in my statement that my preference is electronic engineering, and put how my subjects have helped me prepare for an engineering course. I just wanted to know whether this would hinder my application and whether I should have put it as additional information on ucas?

My general reason for applying is that I have other interests in the field which I may want to pursue if I change my mind such as materials engineering and maths, and obviously it gives me a year at uni in which I can make an informed decision while learning the appropriate material to progress. Also, do you know how much leeway they give you if you decide to change your degree destination at the end given you had completed all the appropriate modules?

Thanks (It's late but hey, my indecision is what led me to pick the foundation)
Reply 48
I want to apply for Loughborough SEFS for Computer Science but I was not keen about taking a foundation year at first, so I sent my ucas application off without Loughborough (which I regret), I spoke to ucas and they said it was not possible to change options :frown:

Therefore I will have to apply through ucas Extra, I am prepared to cancel all my other offers and believe this will be beneficial as I have no maths or science A-levels. Do you think there will be spaces available and if so will competition be high?

I am predicted ABC for A2 and have GCSE Maths B. Please help as I am worried I might not be able to get in for 2013 :frown:
Original post by Horrawful
Hi I applied to the SEFS but I have just read it should be made clear in your application where you intend to go afterwards, something which I have not done but I have said in my statement that my preference is electronic engineering, and put how my subjects have helped me prepare for an engineering course. I just wanted to know whether this would hinder my application and whether I should have put it as additional information on ucas?

My general reason for applying is that I have other interests in the field which I may want to pursue if I change my mind such as materials engineering and maths, and obviously it gives me a year at uni in which I can make an informed decision while learning the appropriate material to progress. Also, do you know how much leeway they give you if you decide to change your degree destination at the end given you had completed all the appropriate modules?

Thanks (It's late but hey, my indecision is what led me to pick the foundation)

Hi there,

I'm a current SEFS student and I changed my destination degree just before I started the year, however this is not the norm. The usual stance is that you can change your destination degree during the 2nd semester of foundation if you have taken the appropriate modules for the new degree and reached the required grades in semester one exams.

As for your UCAS application, I should think it will be ok, but it may be an idea to call admissions at lboro at see if they can put a note on your application so it gets sent to the right place.

Hope that helps.
Original post by RandyAndy4
I want to apply for Loughborough SEFS for Computer Science but I was not keen about taking a foundation year at first, so I sent my ucas application off without Loughborough (which I regret), I spoke to ucas and they said it was not possible to change options :frown:

Therefore I will have to apply through ucas Extra, I am prepared to cancel all my other offers and believe this will be beneficial as I have no maths or science A-levels. Do you think there will be spaces available and if so will competition be high?

I am predicted ABC for A2 and have GCSE Maths B. Please help as I am worried I might not be able to get in for 2013 :frown:

Hi there,

SEFS is a huge class (120) this year so there are a lot of students that went through clearing or got into SEFS as they missed the grades for the degree, so late application doesn't seem to be a massive deal. They do have minimum entry requirements though and it is a tough course if you don't have Maths or science a-levels. (I'm a mature student with no Maths a-level and the Maths starts at a-level so there's lots of extra work to do).
Reply 51
Hi there,

SEFS is a huge class (120) this year so there are a lot of students that went through clearing or got into SEFS as they missed the grades for the degree, so late application doesn't seem to be a massive deal. They do have minimum entry requirements though and it is a tough course if you don't have Maths or science a-levels. (I'm a mature student with no Maths a-level and the Maths starts at a-level so there's lots of extra work to do).

Thanks for the reassurance! So after speaking to Loughborough I'm eligible if I meet the A-level requirements of BBB (which should not be a problem) does this mean I should be alright?

How are you finding the course overall and would you recommend it?
Thanks for the reassurance! So after speaking to Loughborough I'm eligible if I meet the A-level requirements of BBB (which should not be a problem) does this mean I should be alright?

How are you finding the course overall and would you recommend it?

Sounds like you'll be ok if they've told you that. Depends how many people apply, I wouldn't want you to hold me to it, lol.

The course is hard going and intense. Like I said, the maths pretty much starts at A-level (which is above where I have studied before) so that's a bit of a sore subject, lol. Physics is hard going as well. So much to learn in such a short space of time. It's do-able if you work hard and turn up to every lecture :smile:

Most of the lecturers are enthusiastic and helpful and there are tutorials during the week to get help with problems and have a practice. It's a really good course to prepare you for a degree. First year is going to be a hell of a load easier as we work with some of the same tutors and cover some of the work this year :smile:

Good luck with your application! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Sounds like you'll be ok if they've told you that. Depends how many people apply, I wouldn't want you to hold me to it, lol.

The course is hard going and intense. Like I said, the maths pretty much starts at A-level (which is above where I have studied before) so that's a bit of a sore subject, lol. Physics is hard going as well. So much to learn in such a short space of time. It's do-able if you work hard and turn up to every lecture :smile:

Most of the lecturers are enthusiastic and helpful and there are tutorials during the week to get help with problems and have a practice. It's a really good course to prepare you for a degree. First year is going to be a hell of a load easier as we work with some of the same tutors and cover some of the work this year :smile:

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Thank you and I hope so seeing as they said that. I'm just hoping there will be spaces! Haha yeah I will have to refresh my maths and physics which will be a must! Thanks for all the information and out of interest what degree will you be joining after completion?
Thank you and I hope so seeing as they said that. I'm just hoping there will be spaces! Haha yeah I will have to refresh my maths and physics which will be a must! Thanks for all the information and out of interest what degree will you be joining after completion?

I'll be heading to Chemistry next year. Luckily I only need to pass Maths with 40% to get in to chem :smile:
Reply 55
I'll be heading to Chemistry next year. Luckily I only need to pass Maths with 40% to get in to chem :smile:

Nice and good luck with that, you should be well prepared! How are you finding the maths? I'm required to get 60% for CompSci :smile:
Nice and good luck with that, you should be well prepared! How are you finding the maths? I'm required to get 60% for CompSci :smile:

Honestly, I'm struggling. It's mostly engineering maths and as i've only worked to GCSE level before I can't keep up with the pace. I think if i'd investigated the type / level of maths better before hand I would have worked on it much more in the months leading up to starting the course. I'll be lucky if i scrape a pass :/

But i'm a mature student who's moved from the middle of no where to uni after being out of education for 'ahem' a while, lol. So it's taken me a while to settle in. On the other hand, my friend is getting 80% in her maths and she's been out of education as long as me. So if you have an aptitude for it, it's fine :smile:

Hope that's not too 'doom and gloom', lol. It's a great uni, with a lot of great tutors :smile:
Reply 57
Honestly, I'm struggling. It's mostly engineering maths and as i've only worked to GCSE level before I can't keep up with the pace. I think if i'd investigated the type / level of maths better before hand I would have worked on it much more in the months leading up to starting the course. I'll be lucky if i scrape a pass :/

But i'm a mature student who's moved from the middle of no where to uni after being out of education for 'ahem' a while, lol. So it's taken me a while to settle in. On the other hand, my friend is getting 80% in her maths and she's been out of education as long as me. So if you have an aptitude for it, it's fine :smile:

Hope that's not too 'doom and gloom', lol. It's a great uni, with a lot of great tutors :smile:

Oh i see :/ well all the best and hope you pass! Thats extremely impressive 80% is the equivalent as an A* at A-level (I think from reading the program criteria). It wasn't too 'doom and gloom' lol, thanks for all the advice it has really helped! Just a couple more questions if you don't mind!

What topics would you reccommend to start looking at for Maths and Physics?

Roughly whats the ratio of the different ages on the course?

Is the student support and tutors helpful if you require help? (like extra classes or 1 to 1s with tutors?
Reply 58
Anyone got any offers for SEFS yet??
Oh i see :/ well all the best and hope you pass! Thats extremely impressive 80% is the equivalent as an A* at A-level (I think from reading the program criteria). It wasn't too 'doom and gloom' lol, thanks for all the advice it has really helped! Just a couple more questions if you don't mind!

What topics would you reccommend to start looking at for Maths and Physics?

Roughly whats the ratio of the different ages on the course?

Is the student support and tutors helpful if you require help? (like extra classes or 1 to 1s with tutors?

Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Exam time :/

So, Maths... I would recommend going through an alevel Maths book and having a go at everything. It goes into higher Maths on sefs but it'd give you a good head start. Physics... I would recommend reading up on electronics and mechanics as they are the more difficult topics. Again, we're looking at alevel stuff, so try to get an alevel physics book.

Ages range from 18 to about 33 this year. Although there are only a handful of us over 25. The majority of students on sefs are 18-21, in a class of 120 I'd say at least 100 are 18-21.

Extra classes are don't happen, but we have tutorials timetabled every week for Maths and every thre week for physics. I have had 1-1 help from tutors, but the chemistry dept is super helpful, so I'm not sure about the other departments. I think most tutors will give extra help if you ask politely and try it yourself first.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest