Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough SEFS Information Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by spottedtree
Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Exam time :/

So, Maths... I would recommend going through an alevel Maths book and having a go at everything. It goes into higher Maths on sefs but it'd give you a good head start. Physics... I would recommend reading up on electronics and mechanics as they are the more difficult topics. Again, we're looking at alevel stuff, so try to get an alevel physics book.

Ages range from 18 to about 33 this year. Although there are only a handful of us over 25. The majority of students on sefs are 18-21, in a class of 120 I'd say at least 100 are 18-21.

Extra classes are don't happen, but we have tutorials timetabled every week for Maths and every thre week for physics. I have had 1-1 help from tutors, but the chemistry dept is super helpful, so I'm not sure about the other departments. I think most tutors will give extra help if you ask politely and try it yourself first.

Hope that helps.

hey, no problem hope they all went well! :smile:

So for maths, are modules such as C1-4, M1,S1,D1 etc... covered in the maths units? If was looking at covering as much as possible of these units and ordering a couple A-level books for maths and physics.

I saw on unistats that the male:female ratio was 59:41, would you say this is true, sorry just out of curiosity.

Thanks for being so helpful!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by RandyAndy4
hey, no problem hope they all went well! :smile:

So for maths, are modules such as C1-4, M1,S1,D1 etc... covered in the maths units? If was looking at covering as much as possible of these units and ordering a couple A-level books for maths and physics.

I saw on unistats that the male:female ratio was 59:41, would you say this is true, sorry just out of curiosity.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Hey,

Got to be honest, I have no idea what those module numbers mean. I only did GCSE Maths and that was 15 years ago, lol. Look at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/instructions-for-new-students/preparing-yourself-for-applicable-maths/ as it lists all of the relevant stuff to swot up on.

As to the male to female ratio.... SEFS is about 85-90% male, but 59:41 is probably about right for total uni population.

If you go to http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/instructions-for-new-students you'll find out more about the physics side of the course and there is some other stuff on there that you might find helpful :smile:

X
Reply 62
Hey,

Got to be honest, I have no idea what those module numbers mean. I only did GCSE Maths and that was 15 years ago, lol. Look at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/instructions-for-new-students/preparing-yourself-for-applicable-maths/ as it lists all of the relevant stuff to swot up on.

As to the male to female ratio.... SEFS is about 85-90% male, but 59:41 is probably about right for total uni population.

If you go to http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/instructions-for-new-students you'll find out more about the physics side of the course and there is some other stuff on there that you might find helpful :smile:

X

hello, thanks this was really helpful! Those modules I was asking about are the ones you study at A-level but now I can focus on just those topics and the same for physics :smile:

Thank you very much and I got an offer!
Original post by RandyAndy4
hello, thanks this was really helpful! Those modules I was asking about are the ones you study at A-level but now I can focus on just those topics and the same for physics :smile:

Thank you very much and I got an offer!

Well done! Have you applied elsewhere too?
Reply 64
Well done! Have you applied elsewhere too?

Thanks! yeah got offers from Aston and Coventry so far, but im 100% sure on Loughborough :biggrin:
Hi,
I was very impressed by your post . At the moment I taking my A levels in math,french and applied science .I would like some guidance as I have been offered a place at Loughborough university for mechanical engineering with foundation year however I need 70 % in math and physics in order to progress to the actual degree. I want to know how you find it and how much help did you get .
Thanks a lot
HI,

I was very impressed by your post . At the moment I taking my A levels in math,french and applied science .I would like some guidance as I have been offered a place at Loughborough university for mechanical engineering with foundation year however I need 70 % in math and physics in order to progress to the actual degree. I want to know how did you find the programme and how much help did you get .
Thanks a lot
I have done the SEFS course with a view to go onto mech eng, but I had to resit it as I messed up most of the exams. The course is HARD, and it requires you to work a lot individually. You get lectures for all the modules and a tutorial once a week in maths and once a fortnight in physics; but there is not a lot of one to one teaching. You are expected to do a lot of the work yourself (personal study).

Make sure you attend all your lectures. There is a massive correlation between attendance and exam results. Basically, put the work in and you should be fine. Loughborough is a great uni and I'm sure youll have a great time there!
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
As I've been asked to write some information about the SEFS course I thought it would be a good idea to make an information thread and possibly answer any questions regarding SEFS. I have now finished learning content for semester 1 and am a member of both the Physics Staff-Student Committee and SEFS Staff-Student Committee so I can answer many questions to do with those areas, if not i'll try find out the answer to any questions.

What Is SEFS?
SEFS is the Science Engineering Foundation Studies course offered at Loughborough. Completing this 1 year course will enable you to progress to the engineering and science departments within the university.

SEFS Allows you to progress to degrees within

- Aeronautical/Automotive Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemistry
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electronic & Electrical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Product Design Engineering

My Educational Background

I went to a normal public school nothing special and my GCSE's were not amazing mostly B's - enough to get me into sixth form. In GCSE I was in a mixed ability class for maths mostly comprised of foundation borderline students, and top set science (Just).

I went on to study A-level Mathematics, Physics, Geography, General Studies, AS Psychology and AS Business.

My A-level results were not great and I was considerably out of my depth for mathematics and physics. I resat my AS year and ended up with C's which was okay concidering my GCSEs and the fact that my exam board were hard exam boards, ie. OCR MEI for mathematics. I wanted to study physics at university as the A2 physics modules really opened up passion and interest in the subject but with C's your very restricted. I opted to do a foundation year as I did not feel ready for university and hate change. A foundation year would greatly benefit me. I chose Loughborough as my firm over my other choices (Such as Sussex and Liverpool) as I felt Loughborough's course was the most established and Successful. I really failed to find any negative points with the course and the open day really sold Loughborough to me. I have now finished learning content for semester 1 and await my first set of exams late January.

Many students chose SEFS for a multitude of reasons. Some didnt do as well as they could of like me, others got good grades but had a change in hear t of what they want to study. The SEFS course also facilitates international and mature students from all over.

What Is it Like To Study The SEFS Course?

You will study a range of subjects, some degree programs have more flexibility allowing you to pick certain modules. Others however, such as mechanical engineering are pre-set and not negotiable. For Physics I have compulsory modules in Basic Physics & Materials, Mathematics, Physical Chemistry and Learning & communications. I have an optional module block where I can chose to study either Applied Mechanics or Programming. I picked Applied mechanics and chose not to study programming as I did mechanics at A-level. overall the course has 130-140 students for this year studying a range of subjects. Around 50 wish to progress to engineering, 25 for computer science, 20 for physic, Not sure on the rest but those are the major ones.

I can write about the modules I study, I did not study Business Skills for Engineers, Programming or Inorganic Chemistry so cannot comment on those modules.

Typically I have 12 lectures a week and 2-3 tutorials. From The middle of the semester until late semester you have laboratory sessions for Physics and Chemistry. Mechanics you have a one two hour slot to carry out an experiment.

Basic Physics and Materials - I have 3 lectures a week, one of which is specifically dedicated to materials, the other two are dedicated to physics. Every fortnight you have a tutorial which covers problems you have been set. From week 5-9 you have a weekly two hour laboratory session where you cover physics experiments. For the physics labs you are paired up with a partner and cover 5 different experiments one of which you have to write a formal report up on. You must keep a laboratory book to write your findings and a write up for each experiment. These 5 laboratory sessions contribute to 10% of your final grade and the formal report also contributes to 10% of the final grade.

Mathematics - I have 3 lectures a week and 1 weekly tutorial class where you are set a problem sheet and the lecturer is present to help with any questions you are stuck on. You learn basic calculus and graph work which forms the back bone for the main degree programs. Topics range from C1-C4 in semester 1. You have two in class tests which combined contribute to 20% of your overall Mathematics 1 grade, the other 80% is from the final test. Its worth noting that you are not allowed a graphical calculator so you must solve trigonometric equations using either the CAST diagram or hand draw graphs. Likewise for simultaneous equations.

Physical Chemistry - I have one two hour lecture which covers a broad range of chemistry and sometimes other topics such as thermodynamics and space. You also have 4 laboratory sessions where you must complete a pre-laboratory test online. For the chemistry laboratory sessions you must work on your own. Chemistry lecturers and postgraduate (?) students are able to help you if you are unsure. Unlike physics you do not need to keep a laboratory book but instead you must fill out a post experiment proforma which often include graphical, and/or error analysis and some questions. The final exam is multiple choice, 100 questions in 100 minutes.

Engineering: Applied Mechanics - This is the engineering module not so much like mechanics in mathematics. You study engineering topics to do with structures and have a report worth 30% of the grade on an engineering topic. To do this report you must attend a single laboratory session which forms the basis of the report. This is the only laboratory session you attend and the rest of the course is theory. you have one exam contributing to 70% of your credits.

Learning and Communications - This subject is not like the others, its to emphasise ways to be a successful student at university. You get taught how to effectively revise, take notes, complete scientific reports and essays. You have a 1500 word scientific essay to complete, a group poster to design and a group presentation on the poster topic. There are no exams for this module as the essay and poster/presentation form the examination for learning and communications.

Course Structure/Examination

Depending on the modules you do you might have mostly exams or no exams at all. Coursework comes in the form of in class tests for mathematics whereby you have two in class tests worth 10% of your final semester 1 grade each. These are short tests lasting 45 minutes. Physical Chemistry also has an in class test which is comprised of 25 multiple choice questions regarding the lectures you have covered so far worth I believe 25% of your final grade. Business Skills for Engineers in entirely coursework based and as far as im aware has no final test.

To progress to your degree program of choice you need to get set percentages in your exams or a set overall percentage. Even though you only need 40% to pass the module most degree programs want at least 50% minimum often higher. For physics I need 70% in Maths and Physics and an overall percentage of 60%.

Final exams exist for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Mechanics.

Mathematics - A 3 hour exam covering all topics covered in semester 1. This is worth 80% of the module grade.

Physics - A 3 hour exam covering topics covered in semester 1. You get a multiple choice section worth 40/100 marks. The remaing 60 marks are split into three blocks of 20 for materials, electricity and mechanics. For these sections you have a choice of answering one of two questions. This is worth 80% of the module grade.

Chemistry - A 1.5 hour multiple choice exam comprising of 100 questions which are based around the lecture notes.

Engineering - A 1.5 hour exam where you have to answer 4 questions. 2 questions must come from section A and 2 from section B. There are 3 questions in each section so you get to chose which questions you want to answer.

How Does It Compare To A-level?
Some areas are harder than A-level, others easier. The teaching is completely different. Labs are harder then A-level but also more interesting. You still need to work to obtain a high grade.

How Have I found It So Far?

So far it has not been too difficult with me as I fortunately did mathematics and physics at A-level. I still put plenty of effort in and did between 2 to 6 hours work a day depending on what needs doing but less at the weekends which I tend to save for reports/lab write ups. Week 7 was the hardest as I had 3 labs, 4 write ups and an essay to hand in. Doing the correct a-levels before hand certainly helps getting A grade in them wont always equate to high marks on SEFS. I found that being organised really helped. If you put effort in expect very high results.

I found the laboratory lessons very useful. I came from E grade in physics practicals at A-level and just got 95% when my physics laboratory book was marked. Chemistry labs I scored almost as high in which is very good considering that I have not touched chemistry since GCSE.

F.A.Q

Hi man ,
I have been reading your post for a while and I was very impressed with your achievement. I hold two offers from the SEFS for mechanical engineering and from Portsmouth university for mechanical engineering however I will be starting in year 1 at portsmouth.I don't know in your view what could be the best option to pick . Little guidance from you would be extremely appreciated .
Original post by cjw.confused.
I have done the SEFS course with a view to go onto mech eng, but I had to resit it as I messed up most of the exams. The course is HARD, and it requires you to work a lot individually. You get lectures for all the modules and a tutorial once a week in maths and once a fortnight in physics; but there is not a lot of one to one teaching. You are expected to do a lot of the work yourself (personal study).

Make sure you attend all your lectures. There is a massive correlation between attendance and exam results. Basically, put the work in and you should be fine. Loughborough is a great uni and I'm sure youll have a great time there!

Oh oh sorry man I was not aware of your message as I could not find the thread I posted my question into.:biggrin:
I have got lot of questions to ask you man..:wink: I will be happy if you could help:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by josephbonkoto
Hi man ,
I have been reading your post for a while and I was very impressed with your achievement. I hold two offers from the SEFS for mechanical engineering and from Portsmouth university for mechanical engineering however I will be starting in year 1 at portsmouth.I don't know in your view what could be the best option to pick . Little guidance from you would be extremely appreciated .

I'd pick Loughbourgh, its 3rd/4th best in the country for Engineering. If im spending £60,000 on a degree I'd want it at a top quality place.
Reply 71
Original post by cjw.confused.

I wouldnt really say its hard, it just requires a different style of learning to what may have used before. I tried using the same methods I used to learn on the SEFS course at Durham and it didnt really work.
Reply 72
Anyone got confirmed place for SEFS Aero eng?
I just applied for SEFS Aero
What's the typical offer people receive and what's the lowest they'll go down to on results day
Just say I get ABC instead of ABB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending