Cameron calls for a return to the moral code of the bible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Down
with
gays.
Reply 61
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
We have advanced? In the UK we have legalised civil partnerships, and in Scotland we are trying to legalise gay marriage? We don't stone people anymore? Woman are allowed to wear different types of cloths together?

And on the gay marriage point, although many Christians are against gay marriage, this is actually wrong. The original translation is men shall not lie with young boys- meaning that the bible is against pedophilia.

The morals that we take from the bible are things like don't steal, don't murder etc. How can you possibly say that these are examples of foolish traditionalism?

Thats' BS. I have a Masters degree in Sacred Theology and I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the Bible speaks out against homosexuality in several places in both the Old and New Testaments.
Oh Cameron, you so crazy.
Original post by Nirvana
excuse me? Jesus christ was the first christian... his name is CHRIST and it is in the word CHRISTian! I am definitely reporting your post because i found that pretty offensive. and let me guess, you are atheist, you have no morals as you do not fear the consequences of your actions, because you do not believe in hell. but let me tell you, hell does exist, its a fact and there is no reason to believe in a theory, (theory of evolution)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thepassion/articles/jesus_the_jew.shtml
Reply 64
Original post by Howard
So it's only a belief in hell that causes people to have morals? What a complete crock of poo.

And a "fact" is something that is established beyond any doubt. It's emperically proven. Can you show that hell fits this criteria? I rather doubt you can.

erm read the bible...
Original post by Howard
Thats' BS. I have a Masters degree in Sacred Theology and I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the Bible speaks out against homosexuality in several places in both the Old and New Testaments.

I apologise then, but that isn't what I have heard, and so felt the need to share. If it does speak out against homosexuality, and you don't believe there aren't mistranslations, then I suppose that is proof that in although our laws in Britain are based on Christianity, we have thankfully evolved in some respects, and are not as a country against homosexuality.
Reply 66
Original post by TheCaledonian
Except less than half of the UK believe in God and many of those that do don't follow the teachings of they bible because that is nothing to do with their religion

Erm, where did you get those statistics from?
Original post by Nirvana
erm read the bible...

You can't possibly putting that forward as an argument to prove that there is evidence?

That is one book, written by man, thousands of years ago. Do you have any modern evidence to substantiate your claim?

And here, some proof that Jesus was a Jew, and as you know the BBC have to be impartial: http://www.bbc.co.uk/thepassion/articles/jesus_the_jew.shtml
Reply 68
You can't possibly putting that forward as an argument to prove that there is evidence?

That is one book, written by man, thousands of years ago. Do you have any modern evidence to substantiate your claim?

And here, some proof that Jesus was a Jew, and as you know the BBC have to be impartial: http://www.bbc.co.uk/thepassion/articles/jesus_the_jew.shtml

yes, i know jesus was a jew... but more importantly, he was the first christian
Original post by Nirvana

No he was a Jew, he did not magically change to Christian. Christianity is based around him and his teachings, where does it say in the bible that he actually converted to Christianity? It doesn't, because he didn't go around saying to people, come join my new religion, it's called Christianity.
Original post by Nirvana

He wasn't the first Christian... you realise the Church existed before Jesus right? Jesus just somehow made most if not all Christians of the time (and for generations to come) believe he was the son of G-d :lolwut:

As a Jew I am skeptical that he is the messiah, I think he's a naughty, naughty boy :tongue: (who gets the reference? :colone:).
Reply 71
Original post by Nirvana
erm read the bible...

Well, I have a Masters Degree in Theology and am an Ordained Anglican Deacon so I am fairly familiar with the Bible thank you very much.

However, "it's true because it says it in the Bible" isn't much of an argument is it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Cannot stand the man. Why does he not share some of his millions around?
Reply 73
That is interesting...I still believe that they are you can't really deny that. As someone already pointed out, the Qu'ran does share some of the same moral values, so perhaps that is why?

In any case, I do believe our laws are based on the bible, what else would they be based on? Remembering, that laws aren't just a modern thing, but have been around for quite some time.

The reason behind Cameron's comments, in my opinion is to warn the few fundementalists that come to Britain, with the intent of introducing Sharia law. I'm hoping that it is true :smile:

That is true, the fundamentals of the three main religions are actually the same - which is why when they quarrel amongst themselves i find it sad...

you're right, laws are completely rooted in history, and the uk is of a Christian background.

I seriously doubt the UK could or would ever be run with Sharia Law , not because im deluding myself, but because theres not enough backing whatsoever.
Original post by blueray
Lets be honest, if religious people actually FOLLOWED the GOOD parts of their religion, it would be good

Spoiler

I feel the same about Mein Kampf, by one A. Hitler. He makes some really good points in there about automobile production and animal welfare. If more people followed the good parts, this would be a better world. People shouldn't judge the book by the bad parts.

Spoiler

Original post by FireRam
That is true, the fundamentals of the three main religions are actually the same - which is why when they quarrel amongst themselves i find it sad...

you're right, laws are completely rooted in history, and the uk is of a Christian background.

I seriously doubt the UK could or would ever be run with Sharia Law , not because im deluding myself, but because theres not enough backing whatsoever.

I do doubt it too, I'm just glad that if it ever came to that, it seems that the politicians wouldn't be too PC to stand up and fight for our own laws. :smile:
Reply 76
I do doubt it too, I'm just glad that if it ever came to that, it seems that the politicians wouldn't be too PC to stand up and fight for our own laws. :smile:

It wouldn't even be a fight really. Its so cemented within the country that any other religious law wouldn't SUIT the UK too!

Its as if to say that because there is a significant Jewish presence in Iran that tomorrow it will start becoming a country run by Jewish laws - hardly likely now is it?

Rather amazing how significant a role history has on our laws today! and it will be interesting to see how legality changes as we move forward.
Reply 77
The whole do not wear garments of two different materials is going to be tough on my wardrobe
We are a country where the majority of people of faith are Christian, which is slightly different.

What we should not be doing is denying or not celebrating Christmas or other christian festivals because it might offend those of other faiths. Much of the moral code of Christians has similarities to those of other faiths in any case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending